dedicated server advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I'd recommend Softlayer over The Planet. Softlayer is much better.

Def go with double the RAM. Check out Softlayers prices before you signup w/ the Planet.

Also, don't purchase any of the Planet's managed services. If you want your server managed, pm me.

Couldn't agree more - Softlayer rules. ThePlanet has a decent network but you'll find SoftLayer far better even if you buy their cheapo, $179 a month server (which if I remember correctly blows your specs in the OP out of the water).

I've heard softlayer is realll good..from A LOT of people. .. go with the RAM upgrade over the CPU upgrade.

I'd go with the RAM upgrade too. Heard lots of good stuff about Softlayer, or for the more budget-concious I can recommend DediCentral (who I'm with) - Sempron 2600, 2Gb RAM, Cpanel - $110/month, very helpful too and it's nice to support a small business that values their individual customers more than a big corporation could. (Please put me as referrer if you use 'em!)

Honestly, I'd say it depends what kind of apps will get the most runtime. For example, any PHP app getting hammered will use a lot of CPU. And more important than server stats is configuring Apache, PHP, and your database properly. A nicely tuned but inferior machine can outperform something that's put together with default options.

Also, traffic is important. All the RAM in the world won't help if your CPU can't keep up with the packets. Your network port is important as well: 10mbit vs 100mbit.

If you can afford the extra $100+/month, get a beefy machine, you'll appreciate it when you grow, and so will your viewers. The difference between "adequate" response time, and "lightning fast" is a powerful psychological tool. Also, don't forget your backup options -- get a 2nd hard disk and do your own backups to it, or use your provider's backup services. Do NOT ignore backups!

Honestly, I'd say it depends what kind of apps will get the most runtime. For example, any PHP app getting hammered will use a lot of CPU. And more important than server stats is configuring Apache, PHP, and your database properly. A nicely tuned but inferior machine can outperform something that's put together with default options.
Also, don't forget your backup options -- get a 2nd hard disk and do your own backups to it, or use your provider's backup services. Do NOT ignore backups!
Yes, indeed. tune up the server (better by your hands), install correct mods, don't forget to get rid of that African, SE Asian and Arctic traffic, again, do some PHP research and you might have your self nice device.
Also - about backups. I think mirror-RAID is ok with Tape strimmer. Can you get it - then get it installed.
And instant updates for your *nix, apache and whatever you run. If indians can do, so you too ;-)

If anyone's looking for some good european servers i'd recommend I3D.net
they give out 2,5 tb bandwidth and a Dualcore Pentium 2,8 for 95 eur ($150). I have never had any downtime in the 4 months i've been with them and it's always been fast.

if you need a bandwidth eating machine you should check out server4you.de , i haven't tried them myself but they're really cheap for unmetered 100 mbits...

If your site is too big for shared hosting, then getting a celeron will make your pages take forever to load. If your budget is that small get a nice VPS; at least they have decent speeds.
If it's not a P4 or above it's not even worth the trouble.
I use ResellersPanel's 8 Core server for a free hosting site, and it does a great job. I'd recommend them.
If not, then use SoftLayer. They are much better than ThePlanet.

This machine would run super sluggishly!

I'd suggest you get your self a higher CPU too .... you'll have to shell out a few $$$ more /mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.