CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in the United States

One nurse breaking protocol means that our entire healthcare system is unprepared, seriously? Is there no room in your logic for the inherent fallibility of human individuals - without extrapolating this to some form of systemic failure?

Ummm, huh? A nurse in Spain contracted ebola, and you trashed Spain's healthcare system and blamed it on a systemic problem, while saying it's very unlikely to happen in the US. A few days later it happens in the US, and you jump to the defensive and shrug it off as "human error".

You don't see the problem with that?

If you believe the US is prepared to handle an ebola outbreak, you're sadly mistaken. If this thing spreads to several thousand cases, the majority of medical staff on the front lines will probably have some training 15 years ago in university, plus a 1 week refresher course to bring them up to speed, before being fired into the hospital to treat patients.

I keep thinking big pharma convinced western leaders to spread this disease globally. There was never any money in developing a vaccine for a few rare cases every couple of years in Africa. But spread it around the world and there's hundreds of billions to be made, because everyone (except Dreamache) is going to want to get vaccinated against Ebola.

Quite brilliant actually.

Ummm, huh? A nurse in Spain contracted ebola, and you trashed Spain's healthcare system and blamed it on a systemic problem, while saying it's very unlikely to happen in the US. A few days later it happens in the US, and you jump to the defensive and shrug it off as "human error".

You don't see the problem with that?

If you believe the US is prepared to handle an ebola outbreak, you're sadly mistaken. If this thing spreads to several thousand cases, the majority of medical staff on the front lines will probably have some training 15 years ago in university, plus a 1 week refresher course to bring them up to speed, before being fired into the hospital to treat patients.

That would be because Spain does have a poorly managed and very resource-strained system in comparison to the United States. Referencing a history of incompetence is not "trashing" anyone, it is stating objective and historical fact.

If you go back to my posts the entire point I made was that the largest difference between the two systems is not only the likelihood for human error, but more importantly the ability of the system as a whole to compensate for the inevitability of human fallibility.

You are still trying to construct an argument that is based on a whole lot of "ifs" and very few facts.

You've repeatedly proven throughout this thread that you have a tenuous grasp at best on how our medical system functions in general, much less so the measurements and preparations taken towards preventing outbreaks of a range of disease and how that in turn impacts the collective ability of the system to handle an outbreak of Ebola.

The fact that you think what occurred in Spain (a ridiculously long string of oversight and failure that borders on the systemic level) is even directly comparable to what has happened in Dallas just further drives home the point that you have swallowed the cock of fear, uncertainty and doubt - and you seem to enjoy gagging.

You are entitled to your own opinion, though.

The fact that you think what occurred in Spain (a ridiculously long string of oversight and failure that borders on the systemic level) is even directly comparable to what has happened in Dallas just further drives home the point that you have swallowed the cock of fear, uncertainty and doubt - and you seem to enjoy gagging.

I dunno man, at the end of the day both women that contracted the disease did so through their own incompetence, through errors in the removal of their protective gear.

Spain's medical system has problems, but so does every medical system in the western world.

I keep thinking big pharma convinced western leaders to spread this disease globally. There was never any money in developing a vaccine for a few rare cases every couple of years in Africa. But spread it around the world and there's hundreds of billions to be made, because everyone (except Dreamache) is going to want to get vaccinated against Ebola.

Quite brilliant actually.

Not sure if serious.

No doubt, pharma will take advantage either way.

I suspect there are reasons why US media is hyping it. Multiple reasons, probably.

If you go back to my posts the entire point I made was that the largest difference between the two systems is not only the likelihood for human error, but more importantly the ability of the system as a whole to compensate for the inevitability of human fallibility.

Fine. The US is immune to an ebola outbreak, and has all the necessary infrastructure, resources, and well trained personnel to handle and contain one if it occurs.

murica1.jpg

Not sure if serious.

No doubt, pharma will take advantage either way.

I suspect there are reasons why US media is hyping it. Multiple reasons, probably.

Why not? A rare deadly hemorrhagic fever has now been taken out of, quite literally, deepest darkest Africa and brought via ill patients to France, Britain, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Spain, the US and possibly Australia. Certainly more countries will follow. In addition, little has been done to restrict travel to or from the infected countries.

One small mistake and any one of these cases could become many. Many increases the risk of more mistakes and soon you have an epidemic.

If the WHO and western governments were smart about it, they would have set up one secure treatment center for all patients coming out of Africa. Something like the equivalent of a Ramstein Air Base, but the CDC version of it. Instead, these patients have been dispersed to the four corners of the globe to be treated by health workers with varying degrees of preparedness and training.

Does that make good sense to you?

Ashoka Mukpo, the NBC News freelance cameraman diagnosed with Ebola while working in Liberia as a freelancer, has been declared free of the virus. "I'm so lucky. Wish everyone who got sick could feel this," Mukpo, 33, tweeted. He will be allowed to leave a biocontainment unit at the Nebraska Medical Center on Wednesday, the hospital said Tuesday. The cameraman also recognized the two nurses still infected. "Look forward to the day you two get news like this too," he said.

Still have yet to find what his "treatment" was.

that seems highly unlikely.

Why not? There have been 10,000+ cases and 4,000+ deaths. Not everyone dies and the mortality rate this time around is much lower than in previous outbreaks.

I'm also pretty sure your chances of survival are higher in a state of the art US facility instead of some bush hospital in Africa. Besides the reported serums being trialed, these patients have round the clock monitoring by health workers in environmentally controlled facilities, an endless supply of intravenous fluids, pain killers, and whatever else that might be useful to keep them comfortable and as stable as possible.

Why not? There have been 10,000+ cases and 4,000+ deaths. Not everyone dies and the mortality rate this time around is much lower than in previous outbreaks.

I'm also pretty sure your chances of survival are higher in a state of the art US facility instead of some bush hospital in Africa. Besides the reported serums being trialed, these patients have round the clock monitoring by health workers in environmentally controlled facilities, an endless supply of intravenous fluids, pain killers, and whatever else that might be useful to keep them comfortable and as stable as possible.

The Nebraska facility and the other top facility where the nurse went...they are 3 for 3 or 4 for 4 in patients recovering, right?

Seems like whatever exact combination of treatments they are using, it works...they've figured it out, at least until it mutates.

I thought we'd be seeing death rates of 60% or more even from those who had the best treatment...not sure why I thought that, probably bought into the media hysteria....I'm very surprised to see patients recovering as they are...very good sign.