Case Study: Quality between Adwords/Yahoo/Adcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROIShareTeam

Nov 10, 2008
U.S
www.roishare.com
Hey,

From the dates 11/05/08-11/12/08; I ran a Campaign on Adwords, Yahoo Search Marketing and MSN Adcenter. Now, I used the same exact AD text and keywords, landing page and position for all three PPC Platforms. When I say position, I meant that I made sure to occupy the same position for all three PPC platforms.

My main objective with this case study was to evaluate the quality of traffic between the three PPC Platforms. To make it fair, I put in exactly $1,000 towards click for each platform. Once one of the platforms hits $1k in clicks; I would pause the campaign for that platform and wait for the other platforms to finish.

So, now lets get to the results:

How Quickly The Campaign Reached $1,000 in Clicks
• Google Adwords : 3 Days
• Yahoo Search Marketing : 5 Days
• MSN Adcenter : 7 Days

Average CPC To Hold 1st AD Position
• Google Adwords : $0.90
• Yahoo Search Marketing : $0.65
• MSN Adcenter : $0.35

Amount Of Clicks Received
• Google Adwords : 1112
• Yahoo Search Marketing : 1539
• MSN Adcenter : 2858

Click Thru % On Landing Page
• Google Adwords : 22%
• Yahoo Search Marketing : 26%
• MSN Adcenter : 37%

Conversion Rate
• Google Adwords : 7%
• Yahoo Search Marketing : 14%
• MSN Adcenter : 23%

Amount Of Leads
• Google Adwords : 17
• Yahoo Search Marketing : 56
• MSN Adcenter : 243

Gross Profit ( $21 Offer Payout)
• Google Adwords : $357
• Yahoo Search Marketing : $1,176
• MSN Adcenter : $5,103

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. Though, I never expected AdCenter to perform this exceptionally well. Time to make bank.

Heh, nice work on this study. I need to look into using AdCenter more..

Thanks. AdCenter can perform quite great with several niches. I've always noticed more conversions at AdCenter, though the problem was the traffic flow. At the end of the day, I always ended up making more via Adwords. But last week, I actually found a well searched niche on MSN. So the traffic came in at decent numbers, plus heck; great conversions.

nice... Thanks dude

You're welcome. I tried to put up as much information as possible. I believe I covered most of the basics in analyzing the traffic.

I'm sure the numbers really depend on the niche, however thanks for sharing.

I actually was JUST in my adcenter because I have neglected it until I noticed I've only gotten a small amount of clicks from adcenter but like 50% were converting so I was like god dam time to raise the bids and get some more traffic.

Any idea why MSN adcenter converts better?

Is it because live.com (IE's default home page, obviously) are less tech savvy?

Any idea why MSN adcenter converts better?

Is it because live.com (IE's default home page, obviously) are less tech savvy?

Because hte people that use it to search are walmart shoppers with a computer that sells for $250 financed for 18 months.

Nice case study.

But how competitive was the niche within each network? If there was little competition or poorly constructed campaigns on MSN of course you'll have a higher return.

I think it is also important to know what is the product you are selling. The users of MSN and Google can be different.

Interesting results on AdCenter, and predictable for the most part. A few assumptions can be made:

1. Clicks from Google are less valuable because people view Google as much of a "research" engine as they do a "pre-sale" engine.

2. With Google, your competition probably makes up a considerable amount of clicks; don't assume every click is a potential customer. This is much less likely with Yahoo/MSN.

3. adCenter works very well for audiences with a credit card in hand ready to make a purchase. The reason: these visitors are less tech-savvy, less-capable of doing research, etc. MSN.com was the default home page when they bought their computer, and all of their searches start at that site.

If you want to try a real-life test, have a few different folks look at ads and give you their opinion on search results. Have your friends / family give you their opinons on the different search engines, paid ads vs organic ads, etc., For example:

My younger sister can point out ads on any search engine and "Doesn't trust them, because somebody paid for them to be there". My sister uses Google 100% of the time.

My wife understands that advertisers pay for those positions, but might be relevant to the search query, and may click on paid ads for research purposes and possible sale. She uses Google / Yahoo for the most part, rarely uses MSN.

My father-in-law had a Toshiba laptop which the default home page is MSN.com. He begins 100% of searches from msn.com, and cannot differenciate between paid ads and organic serps. Coincidentally, he also has the most disposable income and is much more likely to whip out a credit card and spend money without even thinking about researching products on Google.

I think there's a problem with MSN's tracking. They don't filter out refreshes or something. Multiple times I've had like 3 clicks and 6 conversions (sales).

Were the 243 Adcenter leads shown by them or your secondary tracking?

did you read my three part investigation on why yahoo traffic sucks, and adjust accordingly. could have pushed those ysm numbers farther maybe.

if your getting those numbers off ysm default traffic then that is fucking solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.