Californians - How are you running LLCs / S-Corps? Out of State?

there are a lot of important measurements of nexus/business presence that [in my experience] almost everyone fails to handle properly when they try to do things this way. if you pay accounts and attorneys who know what they're doing, you can almost always avoid this. however, whether it's worth it in terms of savings is something you have to decide.

Well, we're talking about the CA FTB here not the IRS (or at least that's what I'm talking about).

If your entity is based in Nevada and for example you only collect commissions from affiliate networks that aren't in California, the burden would be on the CA FTB to prove that you are "doing business" in California.

And while it's what's important when it comes to income taxes, just because you live in Cali doesn't mean anything when it comes to franchise taxes. You could be doing your work when outside of California, 99% of your business could theoretically be run by virtual assistants, etc. etc. They can't say you are "doing business" in CA just because you might happen to check your business email in California once a day.

And even more importantly, at the end of the day it would cost them more to even try to do so than they would collect even if they did prove it (in most cases)

(This all assumes you do things "properly" of course)

Ah ok, in your earlier post you wrote IRS, which confused me

Hah thanks for some of the serious responses. I love fake boobs.

Part of it is the principle of the matter. $800 for the privilege of doing business in CA kind of disgusts me. It's not a ton of money to me, but if I want to create more LLCs such as this other project, it adds up.

dont make more LLCs register some DBA's ;-)

Here's some foreign bolt-ons for your troubles:

posting_21471_lg.jpg

Thanks!
Berto

Hooly bOObies!!!!!!

It clearly states in the LLC pdf the $800 yearly fee, however I don't believe there is a yearly fee like this for S Corps in cali. I have had mine for 3yrs and have never had to pay that.