Best areas to live in London ?

nomak

agent provocateur
Apr 28, 2010
In the shadows
So, I'm moving to London in September and I was looking on sites like zoopla and gumtree for properties, comparing prices, crime rates, etc. I was actually looking for some tips from guys who live in London about the best places to live, in your opinion.
Btw, I will need to get to E1, Bishopsgate quite often.

Tits for advices:
FZZIP.jpg

83rb4.jpg

j3VjS.jpg

The area around Bishopsgate is a bit crap. (Although Brick Lane has somehow gotten really expensive without the people/area seeming to change that much)

Have a look at Isle of Dogs, Mudchute in particular. (Unappealing name, I know)

It's in London, no further really than Camden. It has woods and a nice park though, and you can stand by the Thames and feed the ducks.

It's got lots and lots of money being pumped into it at the moment to develop Canary Wharf station further, to give it more links. Very very very safe, comparable with Hampstead/Holland Park on that front. Surprisingly low cost too, compared to the rest of London, I think because it used to be shitty 20 years ago and earned a bad reputation for a bit.

Isle of Dogs is pretty nice indeed. My friend moved there not too long ago and it has easy access to to E1 and central london through the Jubilee line and the DLR.

You might want to get a place in Stratford as it is where the olympics are being held and the area is finally being re-done. You could probably get a steal on a place.

Don't go to the shithole I live in called Leytonstone though.

Depends:

1. Do you have a family, kids etc?
2. How much are you looking to pay?
3. What sort of property would you like to live in?
4. What's important to you? Good nightlife, low crime, nice parks etc?

if you have money and want somewhere nice for a family look at areas around West London, I live in Chiswick which is very nice. If you are looking for something more lively, Camden, Farringdon, Notting Hill are worth a look

Personally I'd live outside of London, and just get the train in. You can live in a much nicer / cheaper area and reap all the benefits of being on the outskirts then. If you choose wisely you can live in an area no more than 10-15 mins out of the centre, too.

Edit: Somewhere like St. Albans, Watford, Brentford, Barnet etc.. Depends how often you need to get in to Bishopsgate?

Personally I'd live outside of London, and just get the train in. You can live in a much nicer / cheaper area and reap all the benefits of being on the outskirts then. If you choose wisely you can live in an area no more than 10-15 mins out of the centre, too.

Edit: Somewhere like St. Albans, Watford, Brentford, Barnet etc.. Depends how often you need to get in to Bishopsgate?

I don't think it's a good idea. Taking train in London especially during rush hour is insanity.

i would like to stay in place where black people stay less.I am afraid of attacks and also ghosts in town.I am looking for safe ,peaceful and enjoyable place

I'm going to move alone, and I'll need to reach E1 3-4 times a week because I'm doing a MA at a university there.
Mituozo, St. Albans was my first option but a yearly train pass to London is about £1500, and with this in mind, I think the rental cost of living here + train would be a bit less or even equal to the cost of living directly in London. It's a fantastic city, either way.

I don't think it's a good idea. Taking train in London especially during rush hour is insanity.

Only an issue if you have to travel during rush hour, he didn't specify. If you live in London, you'll probably spend more time travelling around London during rush hour than you would living outside of it anyway.

I'm going to move alone, and I'll need to reach E1 3-4 times a week because I'm doing a MA at a university there.
Mituozo, St. Albans was my first option but a yearly train pass to London is about £1500, and with this in mind, I think the rental cost of living here + train would be a bit less or even equal to the cost of living directly in London. It's a fantastic city, either way.

You can live in St Albans for sub-£100/week, which you won't manage in much any part of London. You'll end up in a shitty part of London, when you could live in a nice part of St Albans, with the only downside being having to spend 60 mins on the train 3-4 times a week. You can just study or whatever then when on the train.

My experience of living in London was rather transient, but it's not for me. Before I moved in I was like "ah it's going to be amazing, there'll be so much to do all the time, I'll never be bored!" etc, but the novelty soon wore off and not being able to see the sky for weeks on end without looking straight up, people everywhere - all the time, having to be alert all the time at night [I know so many people that have been mugged after dark that it's ridiculous] & constant sirens gets old pretty quick. I was living in South Kensington, which is a "nice" part too.

My London experience in general was terrible from many perspectives though, so perhaps I'm biased.

Edit: Found you a place, bro: http://www.needaproperty.com/sales/4121828

Chelsea forever :) River, parks, restaurants, shopping - everything! If you can afford.
Closer to the east best one would be Canary Wharf, decent city folks live there, can have stunning panoramic views from one of the new developments. But i personally hate east london. Again, your budget??

London bridge, that is across the river from e1, is ok. You can find some decent places in lambeth, but its full of counsel estate losers.... Oh, and check out islington!

Find Property for Sale, Properties to Rent & House Prices

If you can afford it then live in London, you'll be looking at close to £1500 a month in most okay/non ghetto area's if you're alone. Camden is pretty cool, good night life and entertainment, but most importantly.. north of the river.

Oysters aren't cheap either 18+ student | Transport for London

What University will you be studying at?

Are you American? If so, I completely advise against it. They will be forever jealous of where you are from and how cool you are. They will not get over it.