Being an advertiser (my experience)

HerbalGerbil

May 11, 2009
I thought I'd share my experience as an advertiser over the past 6 months. Sorry it's a long post! I'm not a blogger, I'd rather share this wih you guys on WF. I hope this helps some of you.....

So, I tried to be an affiliate when I was 16. I wanted to make millions just like any newb did. I sucked at it. Lost $$. No one likes losing money, so I quit. Enough said.

When I was a sophomore in college, I started an incent site that went nowhere. But it was during this process that I started reading the forms, the blogs, and talking to guys in the industry on a regular basis. I realized that if I couldn’t make money promoting offers that I’d have to do it some other way, by being the big fish in the chain, by being the advertiser. I started checking out offers on the networks I was signed up on. At the time, Acai was still pretty hot. Then, I found RezV. There were a few RezV offers out there already, but they looked shitty. So, I found a product…now what?

I knew a designer that I went to school with. I knew a programmer that would do a rev share. I knew a friend that started a previous internet company (that didn’t exactly succeed) who wanted to jump back on the horse. I got them all on board to launch an offer with me.

My friend and I spent about a month reading about all the rebill offers, running numbers in excel, talking to people in the industry, looking into manufacturers, checking out payment processors, etc. We had the programmer build a homegrown CRM that would automatically bill people. We found a small manufacturer/drop shipper in Atlanta. We had a GotVMail account that was used as our 800 support line. We had a support email address that I answered. We used Authorize.net as our gateway (I shit you not…). We pooled together $ in a business bank account. We opened 3 merchant accounts: PowerPay, Merchant Warehouse, and Pivotal Payments.
We had quite the little operation set up.

Another month later, the site was ready, the bottles were ready, and network tracking pixels were set. We launched. But, we had to cap our offer because we couldn’t afford more than 50k of traffic at the time (go ahead and laugh). 15 days later we billed customers for $XX,000. After this, I switched the processing over to the Merchant Warehouse MID. We did another media buy. The Merchant Warehouse MID got shut down within 48 hours of starting to process because we issued a high amount of refunds. I immediately switched everything over to the Pivotal Payments MID. Rebills started coming in from this media buy and we went over our processing limit on the Pivotal Payments MID. Then, Pivotal Payments decided to fuck us and hang on to the excess funds that were over our limit. We needed that cash badly.

It was around this time I got a random call from Paul Liljenquist, the owner of Focus Services. Focus runs multiple call centers all over the world. I told him about my business structure and he literally laughed at me. But, he wasn’t looking to shoot me down. He introduced me to the right people that could help my company grow. I opened up an account with Focus shortly after. They are a fantstic call center solution. They would handle all customer support calls. I also opened up an account with TMSpay, which, by the way, is a stellar CRM and gateway. I then got in touch with “merchant account agents” (that’s just what I call them) – people that help you open multiple merchant accounts. These agents get a commission and you don’t pay them a thing. Plus, they do all the dirty work when it comes to paperwork and such. I recommend Lodestar Processing for this.

Another thing…I get at least 1 call every two weeks from companies like Impulse and Upsell.com. These companies call customers to confirm orders right when they’re placed. They also offer the customers additional products (usually trick them into saying yes) and give you a commission. Sounds great? Right? WRONG. These services steal your customer data! You already paid $40 +for the customer, don’t sell this valuable data off to these fuckers for a mere $8....Your chargebacks will increase dramatically as well if you use these services. If you want to make more money off your customers, send them free shit (supplements e-mail health tips). This will keep them on the rebill program for longer.

So, where am I now? I’ve got multiple MIDs, multiple products, TMSpay CRM, a great manufacturer and fulfillment center, and cash (a LOT more) in the bank. AND I’ve got a lawyer. You absolutely need a lawyer if you’re going to be involved in accepting credit cards and selling products online.

Being an advertiser, as UberAffiliate stated, “is not easy.” It’s a SHIT load of work. You’re essentially creating a supply chain that needs constant tweaking. You’re always stressed out, constantly checking e-mail, checking snail mail, checking bank accounts, everything. We started out small, with less than 100k, so it was a lot harder and more stressful for us. We were all in college too, so time was scarce. The risk reward ratio is NOT that favorable. It’s not all Breitlings, Bentleys, and private jets. Don’t let anyone fool you. It’s more work than you could ever imagine, and it’s more stressful too.

Good luck to all of you that still want to launch an offer. Don't hate on my signature :)

I was going to read it, but all I could see is your sig (almost literally - black text).

Edit: I was going to try to read it again - but now it's all bold and not formatted too well.

Is that better?? I made it white text.

Edit 2: I was going to give it a third shot - until you asked if that was better, giving up now.

lulz. *Did read it actually - am also an advertiser, interesting view points and risk points vs. digital offers.

Most canellations take place in the first month. Profit comes from those who stay on longer than 2 months.

Judging by the title and seeing it was a long post I was going to tell you the Tampons were in aisle 9, but then saw narsticle's reply and decided to read it...pretty interesting post..

Nice post however this reminds me why I'm an Affiliate not an Advertiser.

When you know how to market and drive traffic you're rewarded with not having to deal with all of these headaches.

Most canellations take place in the first month. Profit comes from those who stay on longer than 2 months.

Great to hear the entire story even though I know the offers and pretty much knew the situation. You have to walk before you can crawl and you learned a great deal and met some awesome people that propelled your business very quickly. Awesome.

With the quote above, if you could. I'm curious on your front end upsell (did you have one) or did you present an opportunity for micro-continuity such as a health tips weekly or newsletter? Also, did you have a system in place to cater to your partials and follow thru with upsells and/or micro continuity?

that was a great fucking post dude. thank you.

One question, from your experience, what is the minimum amount of cash someone should have to get started in a continunity rebill like yours. You said you guys had 100k but were capping out like crazy and needed the excess funds from pivotal. If you were going to tell someone getting started a good baseline to have, where would you put the mark?

A good baseline = A few million. However it's obvious from him alone that you can get into it with a stringline budget. I've seen it countless times.

It really isnt going to matter though when starting out especially with merchant accounts because they are going to want to build a history with you. That is obvious when he talks about the first two he started working with. You just cant go in slamming 1,000 orders a day off the bat unless you have some contacts.

And I just want to say it was a pleasure working with this young man as a network he allowed to run his offer. When it ran, he's not bullshitting when he says it WAS THE BEST converting Rezv offer we ever ran.

Nice post.

As far as starting cash goes, you're looking at a few million IF you're going to be starting with some heavy affiliate action.

I'm promoting my offer in-house probably for the first couple months until everything is optimized. For something like that you can easily set everything up for less than $100k, plus all of your advertising costs once you start driving traffic.

Solid post. It is definitely easier said than done. I was previously with a company that started with $500K. Four years later they will do over $70M. However, they have over 100 employees and have raised an additional $7M in financing to get to that scale. Tough work!

Lots of learning pains along the way. Your cash needs are 100% tied to payment terms and volume. If you can drive your own traffic through media buys where your terms are net30, it helps significantly. Also, keeping volume consistent from month to month is key if you don't have a lot of cash.

Overall, being an affiliate is much simpler with a lot less risk. Thanks for the in site on the upsell.com guys. I was always curious about their services but never worked with them. Good luck Herbal.

One question, from your experience, what is the minimum amount of cash someone should have to get started in a continunity rebill like yours. You said you guys had 100k but were capping out like crazy and needed the excess funds from pivotal. If you were going to tell someone getting started a good baseline to have, where would you put the mark?

I would start with at least double what we had. 200k minimum. The more liquid assets you have, the easier it is to get higher processing limits.

With the quote above, if you could. I'm curious on your front end upsell (did you have one) or did you present an opportunity for micro-continuity such as a health tips weekly or newsletter? Also, did you have a system in place to cater to your partials and follow thru with upsells and/or micro continuity?

We actually didn't upsell at all. We have an e-mail autoresponder system that sends an e-mail to partials with a special discount on the shipping of the free trial, $1.95 instead of $5.95.