Are Designers & Photographers "Greedy Pigs"?

Because you can make millions a year being an open-source software company, whereas it's pretty tough to do with design work.

Or did you think people develop and offer open-source software to be nice?

Tell that to Pablo Picasso's rotting corpse.

My pricing structure as a designer is based on the amount of hours to complete any given project. I also offer unlimited changes until the project is perfect for the client. That also has an effect on my cost. You would be surprised how many people give you specific instructions but once they see it want to move and change things around. I do try and work with everyone’s budget when I can though. Sometimes the client just needs to remove items until they can afford to add them.

Honestly man, you are one of the few designers on these forums (especially GFY) who is worth the coin. Not trying to make your head big, but nearly every design in your portfolio I like and I have designers interview with me every week. Mostly with shit they worked on with 3 other guys (ie they put in the footer) and their 100% only design looks like 2004.

Hit me up on skype some time.

Honestly man, you are one of the few designers on these forums (especially GFY) who is worth the coin. Not trying to make your head big, but nearly every design in your portfolio I like and I have designers interview with me every week. Mostly with shit they worked on with 3 other guys (ie they put in the footer) and their 100% only design looks like 2004.

Hit me up on skype some time.

Thanks for the kind words Pb. I added you on skype and will send you a message tomorrow when I get back from the holiday weekend.

design your own shit then and stop being jelly

HBWA-jelly.jpg

Nice resources. But how do you download the psd's from Dribble?

I've written free tutorials which to date have had over a million+ readers.. I've done freebies like orba free icon set too.

It can certainly help with exposure and bringing in new clients. My few free tutorials have generated me well over $xxx,xxx in client work the last 4/5 years.

But you're definitely wrong on that end.. Just look at Icon Search Engine | Iconfinder - sort by free. Tons of free icons. Go to Google and type "free wordpress themes", you'll find thousands. Go to Dribbble - Show and tell for designers and type in "free" (Dribbble - Show and tell for designers), tons of free shit.

Now if you approach a designer and ask them to design something for you custom and demand it free, they'd be a moron unless you're going to give them something in return like a blog post or barter of some sort.

just steal the images, what the hell is the matter with you? paying for images?

Sometimes that works fine but I've got legal threats before when I was sending volume out in the open to an lp that had a google scraped copyrighted image on it. If you get enough eyeballs to see the page the wrong eyeballs could be in that number. I would rather just pay $5-20 or something for a good looking image then worry about any extra trouble.

If you can find something decent with the 'inurl:istock keyword' trick then cool, if not I would assume a few bucks aren't much. But lately I've encountered such cheap losers on here it would not surprise me that the price of a happy meal would be "ridiculous" to possibly help your page look and convert better.