Anyone attempt or plan on climbing Mount Everest?

m0rtal

King of the Jungle
Jul 3, 2007
Toronto
Personally, this kind of stuff really intrigues me and I applaud anyone who has completed this feat. Quite an accomplishment to have under your belt. After doing some research on it I think I'd rather throw in a few more bucks and book a flight with Virgin Galactic than pay like $50k and end up in some shitty ice crevice with my face smashed against the rocks. I didn't realize how dangerous it actually is until doing some research on it. I just thought you pay a few bucks and some Sherpa takes you up in an elevator.

I mean I just thought it was mostly the endurance and strength you need but this shit takes some serious years of training and climbing other shit. All I know is I don't wanna be Mr. Green Boots lol

Pulled a Snagit from here: Dead Bodies On Mount Everest

Actually it's about $80k. But what's really dramatic is that if you do break your leg or simply do not have the strenght to continue, relatively near the top, tens of people might pass by and leave you to die because they won't waste the energy required to help you.

Why does it cost so much money?

Why can't the people be rescued by a helicopter?

I don't live near any mountains

Why does it cost so much money?

I don't live near any mountains

Guides, equipment, fees, etc...I believe on the Nepal side it's $10k to the government alone. Helicopters can (generally) only fly to a certain altitude and most people get into trouble above that point as I understand it. I did see a mention of a helicopter reaching the summit but not sure what the details of that were.

It's on my todo list within the next 10 years. I'm probably going to climb some smaller mountains first though (Kilimanjaro etc.)

I've been mulling it for the last year. I need to do some conditioning first, and have been looking at Alpine Ascents for some training climbs.

At minimum I would like to do Kilimanjaro. Friends have told me it's a great experience.

Oh, and Everest is so expensive because of the permits and sherpas needed to climb the mountain: Mount Everest Prices - Cost To Climb Mount Everest | What It Costs

You guys have got to watch this show... The first couple seasons are available on Netflix (streaming): http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/everestbeyond/everestbeyond.html

Helicopter on Everest makes History | GreatOutdoors.com

One helicopter made it to the summit. The problem is that the weather is so unpredictable and changes so quickly that it really puts everyone at risk to send a helicopter up there to save one person. It takes might take hours to reach someone, even if they are relatively close to the summit.

I've been mulling it for the last year. I need to do some conditioning first, and have been looking at Alpine Ascents for some training climbs.

At minimum I would like to do Kilimanjaro. Friends have told me it's a great experience.

Oh, and Everest is so expensive because of the permits and sherpas needed to climb the mountain: Mount Everest Prices - Cost To Climb Mount Everest | What It Costs

You guys have got to watch this show... The first couple seasons are available on Netflix (streaming): Everest: Beyond the Limit : Discovery Channel

Are you sure taco bell will permit you to take so many work days off?

I guess if you're Donald Trump, Obama or Lady Gaga, helicopter pilots will fight to get a chance to save your ass, but if you're mister nobody, might as well hope there are virgins waiting for you in the afterlife...

m0rtal, check out the book, "Into Thin Air" -- an excellent read!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Into-Thin-Air-Personal-Disaster/dp/0679457526]Amazon.com: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster (9780679457527): Jon Krakauer: Books[/ame]
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...ow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51MJpvoFtkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I did Everest Base Camp a couple of years ago. It's not hard as long as you're not a fatass. If you can walk 4-8 hours a day I'd recommend it. We started at Lukla and walked up the Himalayas passing villages along the way. Took 10 days of walking to get to base camp.

Climbing to the top of Everest, which requires, you know, climbing, is impossible for anyone here. It's not something you can just 'give a go'. The altitude alone would make anyone here die from lack of oxygen. From what I've heard you need to spend weeks or months at certain altitudes just so your blood cells can adapt to the lack of oxygen. I remember for Base camp the ones that rushed ahead all got altitude sickness - it's almost guaranteed if you don't take your sweet time.

Not interested. It's not very impressive since they have ladders and ropes out for you. And Kilimanjaro is really mountain climbing from what I've see. It looks like basically a walk up a tall mountain.

I doubt many people here get out of their basement enough to remotely be in shape for an Everest expedition.

A group of us were talking about a trip to Nepal to do the trek to Everest base camp and the glacier. That would be a blast I think. Check out the airport you fly into in Lukla.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0]No. 1 Most Extreme and Dangerous Airport: Lukla Tenzing-Hillary Airport, Nepal[/ame]

I've been to Nepal and we did some hiking around the base of the mountain, on the little foothills and stuff. Never really went up into the high altitutdes though.

I have to say... standing at the foothills and looking up - it's some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

If you do decide to do it, best of luck to you!

You guys make it sound way more impressive than it really is. I'm not even a trained mountain climber and I was able to climb Mount Everett. Looking out over Massachusetts was nice I guess, but not something I would go out of my way to do again.

I've been thinking about it but maybe just going to the base camp would be a better idea. I definitely want to do Kilimanjaro though.