Any smartphone recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. The HTC TyTn/Cingular 8252/O2 XDA Trion seems to be a newer model than the HTC Universal/XDA Exec (no ideal what it is on cingular, lol), but has a slower cpu - 384Mhz as opposed to 520. I guess this is compensated for by more RAM and ROM though.

Other than the design the only other advantages with the TyTn seem to be a better cam and 802.11g wi-fi (rather than b) but the screen is smaller and the Universal has a flash... Not sure which design I prefer.. kinda like the tablet-style and the slide job!

Hmm.. decisions!

The 8525/TyTn/Hermes has a flash. You can also get a program that will activate it as a flashlight. Hook that up to a press&hold on your PTT button and you've got a pretty handy flashlight.

And no offense to the other guys, but save yourself from the 650. A real shoddy OS that is.

I have a samsung i730. Kind of an old model, but it works well. You can bluetooth your internet connection to your laptop (need a special file to enable this as its blocked by default.)

The 8525/TyTn/Hermes has a flash. You can also get a program that will activate it as a flashlight. Hook that up to a press&hold on your PTT button and you've got a pretty handy flashlight.

And no offense to the other guys, but save yourself from the 650. A real shoddy OS that is.

Yeah I saw it had a flash when I did some more research last night (just went on spec above before).

The TyTn seems great, but I think the VGA screen on the universal has swung it for me. Seems like the universal isn't that big in the states (don't think it supports one of your bands or something), but has got great reviews.

It's not quite as good as the TyTn in other respects, but has a VGA screen and SDIO port - takes full SD cards (up to 4Gb, rather than the micro which go up to 1 or 2 I think.. and I've got a load of 1Gb cards already).

That XDA-developers site is great - seems you can really fuck about with these HTC devices :D ... Even install Linux.

Anyone know of a web design/coding app for Windows Mobile?

I have the cingular 8525 which is the HTC TyTN, the new HTC Kaiser is coming soon so I will be upgrading to that, I love the TyTN and if you want something you can type on that has all the bells and whistles thats the way to go:

Mine has 3g on cingular, I connect my laptop through the phone when no wifi is available and its pretty fast, enough to stream youtube stuff straight on my laptop when its tethered to the phone.

htc-kaiser-press-1.jpg

Specs:
HTC TyTN II P4550 (HTC Kaiser 120) Specs
Datasheet Views: 294124 views since upload of datasheet (February 28, 2007)
Datasheet State: Preliminary specifications
Release Date: September, 2007
Predecessor Model: HTC TyTN P4500
Dimensions: 59 x 112 x 19 millimetres
Mass: 190 grams (battery included)
Software Environment
Operating System: Windows Mobile 6 Professional AKU 0.2.2
Microprocessor
CPU: 32bit Qualcomm MSM7200 Chipset
CPU Clock: 384 MHz
Memory, Storage capacity
ROM capacity: 256 MB (accessible: 145.24MB)
RAM capacity: 128 MB
Hard Disk capacity: Not supported
Display
Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
Display Resolution: 240 x 320
Display Diagonal: 2.8 "
Sound
Microphone: mono
Speaker: mono
Audio Output: Proprietary jack
Cellular Phone
Cellular Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100
Cellular Data Link: CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA
Call Alert: 72 -chord melody
Vibrating Alert: Supported
Control Peripherals
Positioning Device: Touchscreen
Primary Keyboard: Slide-out QWERTY-type keyboard, 41 keys
Directional Pad: 5 -way block
Jog / Scroll Wheel: Pressable rotary scroll wheel
Interfaces
Expansion Slots: microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash, SDIO
Serial: RS-232 , 115200bit/s
USB: USB 2.0 client, 480Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector
Infrared Gate: Not supported
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0
Wireless LAN: 802.11b, 802.11g
Multimedia Telecommunication
Analog TV: Not supported
Analog Radio: Not supported
Satellite Navigation
Built-in GPS: NMEA 0183 , 20 channels
Built-in Digital Camera
Main Camera: CMOS sensor, 2.8MP
Autofocus (AF): Supported
Built-in Flash: Not supported
Secondary Camera: CMOS sensor, 640x480 pixel
Power Supply
Battery: Lithium-ion , removable
Battery Capacity: 1350 mAh

Any word on what network this will be available on? I'm on T-Mobile and want to remain there. I'm sure there will be an unlocked version, though.

Anyone know of a web design/coding app for Windows Mobile?

You dont want to be coding on these things, trust me. The keyboard and screen are way too small for that.

I also just remembered you can buy a car windshield mount cradle for your smartphone that is bluetooth enabled. You can then purchase a bluetooth GPS unit that the cradle will connect to via bluetooth and now youve got a GPS unit in your car :)

You dont want to be coding on these things, trust me. The keyboard and screen are way too small for that.

I also just remembered you can buy a car windshield mount cradle for your smartphone that is bluetooth enabled. You can then purchase a bluetooth GPS unit that the cradle will connect to via bluetooth and now youve got a GPS unit in your car :)

Already checked out the GPS - 20 quid :D

As for coding.... the one I'm looking at has a 640x480 res screen.... I think it could really be a laptop replacement (maybe with bluetooth keyboard) - won't know til I've got it though.

the htc tytn even in its current incarnation will now accept the new microsdhc which go up to 8gb in capacity, so as long as your running windows mobile 6 it will support the higher capacity cards.

GeekCognito:

As far as I know this will be exclusive to ATT/Cingular first, but shit you have the Wing or whatever which is also a really nice HTC handset even though a little crippled in the power area and the looks aren't that great either:
Tmobile Wing

370x400.jpg

250x270.jpg

^^^^ I still don't get why t-mobile gay-i-fies all their phones compared to other carriers.

here is what the original sexy HTC Herald aka Tmobile Wing looks like:
htc-herald-p4350-1A.jpg

^^^^ I still don't get why t-mobile gay-i-fies all their phones compared to other carriers.

here is what the original sexy HTC Herald aka Tmobile Wing looks like:
htc-herald-p4350-1A.jpg

Exactly. I considered that phone but it just looks too....ugh. But that new HTC looks sweet. T-Mobile doesn't have 3G either so I may have to bite the bullet and switch over to AT&T *cringe*.

You should get the HTC (X7500) Advantage. Pretty damn expensive but it looks so fuckin sweet.

Of course you should wait til I get my affiliate site up for it :)

EDIT: Looks like its actually the X7501

You should get the HTC (X7500) Advantage. Pretty damn expensive but it looks so fuckin sweet.

Of course you should wait til I get my affiliate site up for it :)

EDIT: Looks like its actually the X7501

lol, it is really cool only problem is you have to use a headset with it, there is no mic earphone set up on the athena, bluetootk or plugin headset only.

I have a Nokia N95.. really sick
GPS with navigation
5mp camera
640x480 video
full browser
mp3 player + plays out loud..
wifi
The gps is very handy.. use it all the time.... and supposedly tom tom 6 will be out for it very soon

Heres mine in all it's glory... :p

myhtc.JPG

btw Lerchmo if it wasn't that it didn't have a full keyboard I'd probably have an N95. I've always loved nokia build and style.

Yeah I really want a full keyboard. I don't mind my BB Pearl's keyboard but the N95's would be a little too compressed. I really dig that 8525, Miguel. I just hate that I'd have to transfer after being with T-Mobile for more than 5 years. AT&T's rates suck compared to T-Mobile's.

Yeah I really want a full keyboard. I don't mind my BB Pearl's keyboard but the N95's would be a little too compressed. I really dig that 8525, Miguel. I just hate that I'd have to transfer after being with T-Mobile for more than 5 years. AT&T's rates suck compared to T-Mobile's.

CINGULAR 8525 PDA PHONE + BLUETOOTH CHARGER CASE BOX NR - (item 270151298320 end time Aug-09-07 17:05:35 PDT)
Closes soon, Once you get it it's as simples as downloading a few things from xda-developers.com and it will be upgraded to WM6 and some cool extras and unlocked.

Easy... not cheap but easy.

Heres mine in all it's glory... :p

myhtc.JPG

btw Lerchmo if it wasn't that it didn't have a full keyboard I'd probably have an N95. I've always loved nokia build and style.

I had a play with one of them today.. think I'm still gonna go for the (older) universal.. it's the VGA screen that swings it! I've loved Nokias too - for the last decade or so I've mostly had Nokias, but HTC are making some great phones!

Just got an HTC universal - bargain at £125 and about 15mins away so going to collect now...

... I can see a wasted evening of playing about with it coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.