Any beef jerky eaters here?

how are you guys making it yourself

Go to grocery store and have them slice the beef (like how they slice the deli meat). Get any flavors you like (it also helps to soak it in a tenderizer for a while), and then use a dehydrator. Depending on the thickness, takes about 5-6 hours to dehydrate.

Here is what I usually get. Good Stuff. I think I'll try a different brand next time, for a little variety.

Premium Beef Jerky - Hickory
Beef, Soy Sauce (water, salt, hydrolyzed soy protein, corn syrup, caramel color, potassium sorbate), Corn Syrup, Flavorings, Cultured Whey.

Jerky.jpg

I love beef jerky.

Buffalo Bills is pretty good and Jack Links is decent.

I'd also love to hear about boutique beef jerky providers.

12398276873181032302802.jpeg

my fav. not sure if they even sell it out side of KY though haven't seen it since I moved.

Because of the nature of good beef jerky (the kind without a lot of perservatives) not having a very good shelf life most all good jerky will be local because it's very hard for them to get any national distribution without a high shelf life.

I find the stuff to be totally addictive... Any recommendations on some really good jerkey?

I LOVE beef jerky, not as much as Mac n' Cheese though.

It's hard to find any consistently decent pre-packaged jerky in the stores that comes in a decent amount at a decent price. They've all been slowly cutting back their quantities offered over the last 10 years. Now you're lucky to find a pack with more than 5-6 decent size pieces in it.

I try not to buy any now because I'll eat the whole bag without meaning to (same with Oreos), but when I do I'll buy Oberto or Jack Links - mainly what's available while grocery shopping in my area.

None will compare to the jerky that a neighbor would give me when I was a kid that he made in his homemade smoker out of an old fridge in his garage.

I'm probably going to buy a smoker and try making my own later this year.

Ostrich and Bison make a mean jerky meat as well...give it a shot. Much leaner/lower fat, great taste... There's a brand called Os-Trim that they sell at the Smoothie King next to my house...bomb diggity

I've been eating this stuff for months now. I don't normally like Jack Link's stuff, but this is awesome:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Links-Jerky-Jalapeno-3-25-Ounce/dp/B002OFZMPW]Jack Link's Beef Jerky, Jalapeno Carne Seca, 3.25-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

Jack Links is all right, but I prefer to make my own. I use a modified version of this recipe. I don't currently have a smoker, but it turns out pretty well in the oven. Try it after about 2.5 hours and take it out when it reaches the chewiness you like. Be sure to put a cookie sheet under it so it doesn't drip all up in your oven. Start with the recipe above and change amounts of ingrediants until you get it the way you like. I've made it with everything from venison to round steak.

I don't make it myself, but my friends who do use food dehydrators.

Amazon.com: Nesco FD-75PR 700-Watt Food Dehydrator: Kitchen & Dining

There are a ton of recipes for different seasonings, etc. to use.

I've had that Nesco Dehydrator for 5+ years and have made 100lbs+ of Jerky. Love it. I've only ever made it using fatty hamburger - lean hamburger turns out really crappy.

You also want this jerky gun -
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-American-Harvest-Jumbo/dp/B001795P3K/ref=acc_glance_k_ai_ps_t_4]Amazon.com: Nesco BJX-5 American Harvest Jumbo Jerky Works Kit: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Learn to make it if you can, so much better than store-bought stuff and you can try different things and figure out what you like the best. My future father-in-law makes deer jerky that's probably my favorite food ever in the history of stuff people could eat.

I second this.

My first experience with homemade deer jerky basically made me never want the store bought shit ever again.