Amazon, Facebook, Ebay or Google?

Which company is in the best position to profit over the next decade?

• Amazon

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Ebay

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Facebook

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • Google

Votes: 32 31.7%

• Total voters

erect

Jun 3, 2007
Esoterica
twitter.com
Considering each company's current assets (ex: goog owns youtube, ebay owns paypal, ...), which is best positioned to profit over the next 10 years?

discuss

Facebook will crush Google.

Search will never go away, it will always be huge and part of it has no intersection with social. I'm not going hit up my social graph if I'm trying to self diagnose anal warts or need to learn how to poach an egg. Google is just going to have accept that they won't be the only big swinging dick of the internet anymore.

I just don't see people going to Facebook for research or for comparison shopping. At least not for a very long time. And by then, something new will have come along.

That doesn't mean it will look the same, or that Google will be the big dick in search forever. Think of the data Google has vs. the data Facebook has and tell me who is in a better position for the future of search.

Facebook, as they currently stand, will never have things like deep contextual knowledge of most empirical data, which is currently Google's game. Going back to how to poach eggs, Facebook won't be answering that question unless I just pester my friends for how to do it, in which case I am not even searching anymore. Now if I want to know where to get the best poached eggs, sure Facebook could be all up in that business in a big way. But Google doesn't necessarily lose out (at least not to the extent in which we would say they were "crushed") for Facebook to make gains, not everybody finds all of their discoverable needs are met online yet. I agree, search won't look the same but that's just because it will grow and encompass more, Google may end up with a smaller percentage of the market than they currently own, but I think that will be because the size of the overall market has grown at a higher rate than the rate at which Facebook would take share from their shared discoverable data.

none of the above. never shop at amazon anymore. permanently deleted my fb account long ago, never use gmail or click on google ads, hardly ever use ebay. i'm sure i'm not the only one. diaspora will eventually displace facebook (which i am confident in saying since i work on the code and have the alpha version running).

All i see is facebook merely having future potential for loads of things. I don't think fb can ever pwn google. I foresee biggest profits for Google and Amazon out of these four.

I chose amazon myself because they don't fuck around with theoretical value and have penetrated MANY markets. They do business. Period.

Perhaps ebay was a bit over-matched in the poll (zero votes so far), but I genuinely think paypal has something that exists outside of traffic & advertising. If anyone could make an competitive "currency" to national banks it would be paypal. That won't happen (hence my amazon selection) but motherfucker could they make some noise.

amazon could extend into other services and not seem out of place. streaming music, advertising, having a hand in any aspect of any online transaction, etc. hell, they're even getting into grocery delivery. my folks buy stuff off amazon marketplace or whatever the ebay alternative is and think its better all around. they don't even use ebay anymore. my choice? amazon.

Amazon, Hell I shop on Amazon at least once or twice a month. Google will continue to make billions. However, I'd like to add a third option. A payment processor to rival PayPal could easily come in and take a large percentage of their market share. Sure PayPal has ebay but for the rest of us, I think I can safely say we'd like an alternative.

Amazon. At the end of the day, they sell real stuff, as Erect said above. I know ebay does too, but amazon is more trusted.

Amazon for sure. Their recent moves into digital media distribution channels should definitely expand their bottom line. I like how aggressive they're being.
Google will still be around, but it's hard to say what their business will look like in ten years.
I honestly would be surprised if Facebook is even a household word in ten years.
Ebay? I don't see much growth for them, but they should still be around and profitable long term.

Amazon, Hell I shop on Amazon at least once or twice a month. Google will continue to make billions. However, I'd like to add a third option. A payment processor to rival PayPal could easily come in and take a large percentage of their market share. Sure PayPal has ebay but for the rest of us, I think I can safely say we'd like an alternative.

If I had to take anyone to rival PayPal, it's going to be Amazon.
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

If I had to take anyone to rival PayPal, it's going to be Amazon.
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

I don't think Amazon can compete with PayPal. It's about perception. The masses don't perceive Amazon as a tool to send and receive money, that's what PayPal is. And it takes a long time to beat these things in and out of people's heads.

Same problem with Google Checkout. The vast majority of people don't think of Google as anything other than a tool to find whatever they're looking for.

This is why I think Amex Serve is in a unique position to at least have a chance to compete, since people associate American Express with the movement of money, specifically.

My 'pinion. Perhaps it belongs in the Amex Serve thread.

Facebook is gobbling up internet real-estate at a break-neck pace. Websites everywhere are using facebook architecture for almost everything. From signing in to the website, to leaving comments. Even sites that are trying to compete with them are finding themselves having to use facebook to make a facebook ap or fanpage just to keep up.

The winner here will be the one that monetizes the easiest, and that seems to be facebook - IMO - right now.

Amazon is recently struggling with the loss of many huge affiliates, because they've decided not to deal w/ states that raise their taxes. eBay has been in trouble for a long time. I don't know if they started going down when they banned digital goods, or when they stopped letting sellers give proper feedback. And Google has been banning a lot of their original money makers lately. Terrible timing on their part with facebook making it "somewhat" easier to advertise.

Reactions: erect
I don't think Amazon can compete with PayPal. It's about perception. The masses don't perceive Amazon as a tool to send and receive money, that's what PayPal is. And it takes a long time to beat these things in and out of people's heads.

Same problem with Google Checkout. The vast majority of people don't think of Google as anything other than a tool to find whatever they're looking for.

This is why I think Amex Serve is in a unique position to at least have a chance to compete, since people associate American Express with the movement of money, specifically.

My 'pinion. Perhaps it belongs in the Amex Serve thread.

That's where I'd disagree with you, how did PayPal get so popular? It gained it's cred from a huge user base that was eBay. Amazon is the only one out there that has a large enough customer base to pull this off properly. Much like eBay it's a market place to buy products and there is Amazons strategy.

Google Checkout isn't popular because WTF do you buy directly from Google besides advertising? It's like fighting up hill because you have to do that much more advertising, and pushing to get it adopted.