wysiwyg has got to be easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
peachpit press has a good book on html and css. lynda.com owns if you like learning from videos.

i love wordpress, however you may want to also put some time into learning to administer a more robust cms like joomla. <--no html required... just buy templates :)

Haha, I used to program in BASIC way back in the day. I remember me and my brother didn't know what anything meant but we'd type pages of code to play some really cheesy games. Ha ha.

Yeah BASIC is so easy when I was in college my teacher gave us a 2 hour assignment to write a program in BASIC that would display a circle on the screen, took me less then 3 minutes to do, then I got board and looked up some RGB color codes, gave it a blue color and made it rebound off each corner of the screen.

All together took like 10 minutes, I told him I was done and he is like umm huh have you done this before....then I got to leave because that was the only assignment for the day.

I learned absolutely nothing in college, I taught myself more about web design and web development on my own then anyone else has ever done for me so for all the newcomers out there never give up it gets easier.

peachpit press has a good book on html and css. lynda.com owns if you like learning from videos.

i love wordpress, however you may want to also put some time into learning to administer a more robust cms like joomla. <--no html required... just buy templates :)

Hell yeah, Joomla is looking pretty nice. But if I was to get a good number of the Wordpress plugins available, wouldn't it essentially become just as robust? Wait a minute, there's no html required? I'll definitely dl that and see what's going on with it.

OK I finally get this thing up. I'm learning still and can't seem to figure out the which part of the code I need to tap to do away with the left border.

Anybody savvy on Wordpress know which section that part of the code would be in?

The reason for wanting to take off the left hand border or expand it out, is because I'm trying to load the "Simple-Forum" Plugin into it and it isn't wide enough. I'll have to edit the forum boxes as well but, I'll tackle that when it comes around...

Any leads on where the damn code for that left hand, blank side bar is would be really appreciated.

Sorry I don't use wordpress but you can usually see this type of thing around your CSS code, you want to make your sidebar wider?

Try looking for something like:

.sidebar {
width: 500px;
}

Or

.main {
width: 500px;
}

But like I said I haven't used wordpress before, I just code my own stuff or I use bloggers template.

OK I finally get this thing up. I'm learning still and can't seem to figure out the which part of the code I need to tap to do away with the left border.

Anybody savvy on Wordpress know which section that part of the code would be in?

Dust-D - I'm not certain which "left border" you're concerned about, but most of the elements in your theme that look like borders are actually part of the background image. Since your content and sidebar sections sit on top of that image, you'll have to Photoshop the image (or do away with it) if you want larger areas to work with. Then you can increase the widths in your style.css file.

If you want to get a better handle on how all the CSS elements fit together in your WordPress theme, download the Firefox Web developer extension. It's a toolbar that gives you a more visual representation of the CSS on your site so you can begin to relate what's happening in the code to what you see on your screen.

Good luck!

Yeah, Jenn is right. With that image, you won't be able to do many adjustments without it looking goofy. You might want to check out some of these. You'll be able to find something that's easier to manipulate.

Good job on getting your blog started. Now time to post some.

Status
Not open for further replies.