Wordpress migration tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji49

Feb 6, 2008
I just manually moved my wordpress + Bans web site to another server and it took about 3 hours. Lots of time spent on ftp and then export/importing the sql databases. Oh yeah, and some time spent reading the phpadmin documentation.:ugone2far:

In the end, everything worked, but hmmm, are there any tools or scripts or apps that make a Wordpress simpler? Faster?

Or am I the only guy to think "Gees, there's got to be a less painful way to do this.."

You can just take a complete Cpanel Backup and restore it on the new server and fill the database values.

i tried doing this with a site yesterday (complete cpanel backup) and it choked on my db size and didn't bring it over. i had to do an export on that one database and import it. this surprised me. fyi for those who think doing a cpanel backup is a complete backup. i do a mysql dump --all-databases nightly and use rsync as well.

Like radio said, I had lots of problems with db choking. In my case, if importing the db took over 300 seconds, it timed out, so I had to keep restarting the process manually.

Cpanel backups and restore are just not feasible if you have, let's say, 20 add-on domains to your account. Especially if your hosting provider puts limits on the size of the backups.

BIG DUMP will set you free.

Also, I have root access, it is pretty easy to move accounts between CPanel servers through WHM. If you are making a move like this, usually your new host will help move your old accounts to their server for free. It takes all of 1 minute of labor to do from WHM. The rest is fully automated.

If you have shell access, moving a blog is a couple of simple rsync and ssh/mysql combos away.

Otherwise, use FileZilla or something to copy the files from server a to server b, and use the wp-db-backup plugin to copy your wordpress database over. The plugin will also copy other tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.