Windows Sucks So Hard

pinchyfingers

Jan 11, 2011
Live, Without A DJ
Had to install Windows to work on a .NET site and everything about this is awful.

I know part of this feeling of disgust is caused by my unfamiliarity, but really, the Windows way of doing things has always been horrible to me.

I learned to program in DOS with GW-BASIC and I loved every second of it (I didn't know anything about DOS, i just loved programming in BASIC). It seemed like everything on the computer was understandable and within my control. The computer didn't do anything unless I told it to, and every application on the machine was code I created and understood. As soon as I switched to Windows 95 I started hating computers and didn't return to programming until a friend helped me install Linux in 2003.

Anyone that loves .NET, feel free to leave helpful tips or hit me up on Skype!

What version of windows are you using? Went throw all important Operation Systems out there, never found anything better then windows seven.

Reactions: pewep
I'm NOT a programmer, but I've found these two things VERY helpful to me when using Windows 7.

1.) Windows 7 "God Mode" is a developer tool used for debugging the Windows 7 Operating System. It has a shortcut to pretty much everything possible and is amazing. It saves SO much time. Anyways, to get it to work create a new folder on the desktop and rename it to:
"GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (WITHOUT THE QUOTE MARKS!)

The folder should turn into the Control Panel Icon and is ready for use.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xi3VnD2vyg"]Windows 7 "GodMode" Code+Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKmfZOuQVw"]How to Enable "God Mode" in Windows 7 - YouTube[/ame]

2.) Create an Administrator account and use it.

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)
2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.

Now log-off, and you'll see a new account named "Administrator" is available, click on it to login.

I know this some pretty simple basic shit, but for me it's been a God Send in both Vista and now Win 7.

@Midas Touch - nice share with the god mode thing, didn't knew about it, useless but cool. :D

This video shows 3 different ways to setup the Admin account. The way I typed above is the last one he shows in the video.

He will show how to do it in the DOS command prompt if you're more comfortable doing it that way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiTNj1pm2o"]How to Enable or Disable the Windows 7 Hidden Admin Account - YouTube[/ame]

@Midas Touch - nice share with the god mode thing, didn't knew about it, useless but cool. :D

I don't use the God Mode that often, but if I need to get to something it's actually faster than going through the Control Panel menus for me.

It was setting up the Administrator Account that has been GREAT since I no longer have ANY annoying security prompts.

Just turning OFF User Account Control will NOT get rid of ALL the irritating UAC prompts. But enabling the Admin Account and USING it will.

If Vista sucked any harder it could be used as a vacuum cleaner. XP on the other hand is widely considered a stable OS and one of the better MS systems. ME from memory had issues but they're becoming more vague as time passes and my wife/daughters tell me Win 7 is fine but dunno, I don't use it.

Serious question: is there a way to change the window manager? For instance, when a dialog window is open, like "Choose A File", I can't switch to another window. I'd like to be able to see my web browser, even if VS has some dialog window waiting for a response.

Serious question: is there a way to change the window manager? For instance, when a dialog window is open, like "Choose A File", I can't switch to another window. I'd like to be able to see my web browser, even if VS has some dialog window waiting for a response.

Not too sure if this will be of any real help to you, but you can go into Control Panel and then click on Appearance and Personalization.

Then click Folder Options

Once there click on the View tab. You can change how things act in there. Like Always on top or in a New Window when you're in the Shell/File Manager.

It's also where you set the File View Option. I usually set it to SHOW Hidden Files, Folders and Drives. Also, I "uncheck" the Hide extensions for known file types. This helps me out since I usually WANT to SEE the extensions of the files I"m viewing.

I"m NOT sure this will help with a MS "FORCED ACTION" dialog box. I usually just DRAG it outta the way then CLICK on the Window of whatever OTHER program I have running to make it currently active so that I can have access to it again before taking action in the pop-up dialog box.

I do this with Java and Adobe updates while browsing.

Some applications are coded this way, an "Open dialog" window is often written as "modal" and then that object captures focus and priority.
Try to click on the little button "Show desktop" on the main taskbar (generally the first from the right side). Perform your operations and then reactivate again the old window from the taskbar.

Btw, this morning my laptop monitor would not turn on. Eventually, I plugged in an external monitor and booted Ubuntu, and then the laptop monitor turned on and works normally. I'm guessing that in the process of installing Windows 7 and re-installing Ubuntu, I messed up a power management setting somewhere.

So, there is no way to replace the Windows window manager, like to use metacity or something?

I have IIS and VS setup, I'm not sure if SQLServer works yet or not, dude just gave me a text file labelled 'SQL for database'.

Being used to Django, this .NET project looks disgusting. As far as I can see, there's no separate templating language for .NET VB - calls to the DB seem to just be mixed in with HTML. I've haven't tried to do any actual work yet, just poking around the code while trying to get IIS working with VS. VS is making me real uncomfortable, I feel like M$ is about to design a website for me, without my permission.

So what do you hate?

Windows, IIS or ASP.net?

Unsure what to help you with

::emp::

I love Linux but, jesus christ, why can't Netflix work on Linux?

Only problem I have in my 8 years using Linux... (and its not even a Linux problem).

Btw, this morning my laptop monitor would not turn on. Eventually, I plugged in an external monitor and booted Ubuntu, and then the laptop monitor turned on and works normally. I'm guessing that in the process of installing Windows 7 and re-installing Ubuntu, I messed up a power management setting somewhere.

In which partition did you install the boot loader for Ubuntu?
In the same one of Win 7 (/dev/sda1)?
You must install GRUB loader on the same partition of Ubuntu, /dev/sda3/ I guess and then modify the Win 7 boot loader with BCDEdit from command line.
This way you'll have a clear dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu without any error.

Okay, dude gave me a text file with a few hundred lines of SQL in it that apparently creates the database for the project. There was no direction on how to use that SQL to create the database. So what can I use to send this SQL to SQLServer?

Edit: SQL Server Management Studio, apparently.