Windows 7 is so blurry

Best option test a second monitor.
It will still be under warranty if its fucked.

Is it an ATI graphics card? Are you using Catalyst Control Center? It's probably different now, but get into the advanced settings and make sure your overscan setting for your display is set to 0.

Either you have a faulty monitor (possibly) or you're NOT running it in its native resolution even though you think you are (most likely). There's nothing wrong with how things look in Windows 7. Cleartype should be on by default in Win7 and if it were off it wouldn't make a difference the rest of the interface.

As others have said already:
Test the monitor on another machine
Check your resolution settings, should be 1920x1080
Take the monitor back for replacement

Quit moaning.

Yeah I double checked, it's native resolution. I went to dell customer support and tons of other people are having the same issue so just trying to work through it. Gonna test monitor on my other PC and see what happens.

Not moaning, bro. Just asking for help from you gay webmasters.

Well I just checked monitor on one of my other computers running XP, text looked about the same. Gonna call Dell and see if they can offer a solution, otherwise maybe I'm just adjusting to the LCD setup. My last monitor wasn't an LCD.

Is this blurry?

tumblr_l7qoh5m1CY1qczivoo1_500.jpg

Well I just checked monitor on one of my other computers running XP, text looked about the same. Gonna call Dell and see if they can offer a solution, otherwise maybe I'm just adjusting to the LCD setup. My last monitor wasn't an LCD.

ALL LCD/LED monitors will make text look a little blurry/fuzzy compared to a good CRT monitor. This you will have to get use to. An LCD/LED is not going to be as crisp as your CRT was/is. But you should still be able to read it just fine.

Also blacks won't be as black on a LCD/LED compared to a CRT.

I'm still using Dual 19" Flat Screen NEC Multisync monitors on my work stations because of these things.

Windows 7 seems to display BETTER than my XP 64 bit did from what I can see.

I have a couple of Samsung LCD monitors that look pretty good, but not even CLOSE to as clear as my CRT's.

My Dell Laptop has a GLOSSY LCD display and it looks very similar to when I'm looking at my NEC CRT monitors.

I'd say to hook up your old CRT monitor to your new Box as others have said to make sure that your video card is working fine. If your CRT looks fine, then I'd take the damn LCD/LED monitor back and get a replacement.

Thanks Midas. That seems to make much more sense now. I was wracking my brain trying to get the colors to appear the same as my old monitor lol. They definitely aren't as vibrate and darker shades don't seem to render as dark as I'd want them.

In any case, thanks for the advice. I can try to hook up my old CRT tommorow and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Midas. That seems to make much more sense now. I was wracking my brain trying to get the colors to appear the same as my old monitor lol. They definitely aren't as vibrate and darker shades don't seem to render as dark as I'd want them.

In any case, thanks for the advice. I can try to hook up my old CRT tommorow and see if it makes a difference.
Also you might have problems adjusting to 60hz. Since CRTs are usually 100hz. Things will feel slower and eye strain will be possible.

Speaking of color matching, I had a 20 year old CTX CRT monitor that until about a year ago when it finally died, had the BEST COLOR display of any monitor I've ever owned. It pissed me off too because it was just an old cheap 17" monitor that I picked up in the early 90's for my daughter's computer. Lulz

I don't know what video card you're using, but Mine are nVidia and ATI. I like the nVidia ones better due to the nVidia Contol Panel vs. The Catalyst Control Center for the ATI's.

When my LCD's are hooked up I can change the video card settings to use the VIDEO card's control panel COLORS instead of Windows and Windows programs. (It seems that VLC player is the only program that somehow ignores this.)

I then adjust the ALL the display settings, color, contrast, brightness, sharpness, and resolution in the video cards own program.

I've found that I can get the LCD's pretty CLOSE to my CRT's by doing this as far as color matching to get pretty good depth of shade and blacker blacks.

Maybe give that a shot and see. On both the ATI Catalyst Control center and the nVidia Control Panel I have a Radio button you can tick off to make the Video Card's program settings override the Windows and Program settings.

Good Luck with it.

P.S. Go download and use this Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.6.4 w/ ASUS ROG Skin | techPowerUp if you don't already have it.

Then using the data from that go to the video card mfg.'s site to download and install the latest version of their control panel & video drivers to use instead of the ones that came with your Dell system.

This may also help to improve your display. I dunno. But might be worth a shot.

P.S.S. IGNORE those telling you to stop moaning about your display.

We spend TONS of hours staring at our displays to do our work, so it is a VERY import issue to be able to SEE what you're looking at clearly.

Yeah it's an Nvidia GeForce GT 640. The control panel for the card itself is what I've been using to play with the colors. It does kind of hurt my eyes, so I have it set to real dark. I'll try that download you suggested and see what happens.

Games run amazing on it, can run high settings for a lot of games.

Yeah it's an Nvidia GeForce GT 640. The control panel for the card itself is what I've been using to play with the colors. It does kind of hurt my eyes, so I have it set to real dark. I'll try that download you suggested and see what happens.

Games run amazing on it, can run high settings for a lot of games.

The GPU-Z will just give you the hardware, BIOS, and driver info of your video card. It won't do much else.

Glad to hear the card will let you run your games on high settings. It sucks when you have to tone them down due to a video card.

My problem with most of the LCD/LED monitors I've used or looked at is the "Fuzzy Edges" of the text on the screen.

One day I'm going to have to bite the bullet and FORCE myself to start using them.

BTW, you might want to take a Screen Shot on your new Monitor and post it up here for everyone to take a look at and see if it looks "normal" to those who use them all the time.

Fuzzy edges on the text, yeah thats the most annoying part lol. Trying to read websites, even wickedfire, gives me massive eyestrain.

I will take a screenshot tommorow and post it up so people can take a look and see if it's normal.

Your screenshot will likely appear clear and fine to us. I looked up the specs on your monitor and it accepts VGA, DVI, and HDMI. What are you using (please don't say VGA?!?). I'm thinking your cable is not connected properly or is bad. Switch your cable out with another type and see how that works. If you are using some sort of cable converter, troubleshoot that too...

Hey Scott, the monitor came packaged with a converter. I believe it's the VGA hookup they provided with the monitor. I tried to plug it in directly the to HDMI hookup but the monitor wouldn't even load. Any ideas for a cable I could try?

Did you connect it with a VGA cable instead of a DVI cable? That can also make a LCD look blurry. I think Dell still ships some LCDs with just a VGA cable.

I meant to mention this yesterday. Thought of it and then forgot. By all means do not use a VGA cable. Get a proper DVI cable. The difference between the two is quite apparent and may very well be the problem here.

ALL LCD/LED monitors will make text look a little blurry/fuzzy compared to a good CRT monitor. This you will have to get use to. An LCD/LED is not going to be as crisp as your CRT was/is. But you should still be able to read it just fine.

This isn't really true anymore. There's no reason why your image shouldn't be as sharp on a GOOD LED. Even when I made the switch back in the day from a 21" Sony Trinitron to a 21" Viewsonic P series, the difference in quality was negligible.

Also blacks won't be as black on a LCD/LED compared to a CRT.

It's not as good, but it used to be more of an issue than it is now. LED technology has come a long way.

My Dell Laptop has a GLOSSY LCD display and it looks very similar to when I'm looking at my NEC CRT monitors.

Glossy monitors suck unless you work in complete darkness.

Also you might have problems adjusting to 60hz. Since CRTs are usually 100hz. Things will feel slower and eye strain will be possible.

There's more to the responsiveness of a flatscreen than hz. Pixel timing is vastly important too. That being said, 60hz should be able to produce 60 frames a second which is more than enough for the human eye.

With all due respect, part of the problem here is that you bought one of the more inexpensive monitors Dell makes. Colour reproduction is not gong to be great. You need to move up to the Dell Ultrasharp models for professional colour work or look at something like the Asus PA248Q which gives full sRGB coverage and something like 110% gammut... ASUS - Display- ASUS PA248Q

Hey Scott, the monitor came packaged with a converter. I believe it's the VGA hookup they provided with the monitor. I tried to plug it in directly the to HDMI hookup but the monitor wouldn't even load. Any ideas for a cable I could try?

Once again, ditch the VGA cable and any converter you're using and stick a proper DVI cable on there. I'm betting this is the problem now.