Why the Vista hate (just installed and impressed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2006
I gotta admit I used to be a Vista hater. My first laptop i actually uninstalled and installed XP pro over it cause it seemed like it would be a lot of useless BS. But I gotta say it's definitely a lot more polished than XP in a lot of ways.

The performance degradation for raw computing tasks isn't noticable at all and it's just a slicker overall implementation of an OS. Definently worth the $100-150. It just does things more smoothly in a lot of ways. A couple I noticed for sure since switching are installs, DVD playback, audio playback and burning.

So why all the hate? It's a really sweet OS. For me it's doing things exactly like I want them done.

Windows 7 should be sweet. Long live microsoft.

My hate was just performance really, but it looked and worked well for me - no doubt.

Windows 7 > Vista hands down though. I hope you didn't buy vista lol.

Hmm, maybe. I dunno I tend to go with the highest rated hardware on Newegg and don't really have anything exotic but I feel your pain if that's the problem.

And no, I got on a laptop. I'm def shelling out the 250 or w/e for 7 a few months after release. Support the e-industry!

After looking at your avatar it was hard for me to focus on the context of your post, but I managed to get through it.

First and foremost, let me welcome you to 2009. Vista was released 2 years ago now (save for a week or so) and a lot has changed in the OS since that time. In those 2 years they have fixed a mountain of bugs and released several Service Packs to make Vista what it is today.

What you are experiencing with your first time use of Vista is not what everybody complained about for over a year. It seems most of the hate has dissolved now and with Windows 7 getting good reviews, Microsoft might actually have a chance at recovering this time 'round.

In my experience, Windows 7 is actually winning my heart over XP. Can't wait until Microsoft gets done with the BETA and gets to sit down and make Windows 7 what it can easily be if they make the right moves.

What son? You gotta problem?

My crew is gonna destroy you.

guido.jpg

The guys on Sherdog have made some amazing shops of those retards.

Hilarious shit.

I guess quite a few people don't like Vista mainly because it uses so much more CPU and RAM power. You need just about double the specs for Vista to run any game...Which kinda sucks for gamers. Personally, I think XP pro works just fine.

My point is that the performance stuff people have been experiencing I haven't experienced at all and I think the things it does bring to the table are worth the $100 or w/e and it's a substantially better user experience than Windows XP. I'm saying it's worth it. I really don't think the double specs is accurate. In fact, I'd say nowhere near accurate or highly exagerated by a very small portion of gamers. The people who are having technical problems with whatever problems are always a lot more vocal. If you haven't tried Vista and given it a chance I think you should. That's all I'm saying.

the thing I hate most about vista is are the security implementations; I just hate having to click 10 times on confirm to do a simple task. Besides that it's not that bad, support for some older hardware sometimes sucks though

Windows 7 owns Vista in every category. From experience with it so far, best MSFT OS hands down..

I don't have too much of a beef with vista anymore, but when it came out it was a fucking nightmare. My parents bought the lowest version and it didn't even run properly, all I could was laugh. It took 2 years to make Vista not totally suck balls, that's two years of sour taste in peoples mouths.

Not even mentioning Vista Certified PC's that where no where close.

My biggest beef with Vista was non of my peripherals worked... I kept getting driver not found messages.

The worst part the patches and drivers did not come out for months.

Support was a nightmare... you call HP they tell you its Microsofts fault... you call Microsoft they tell you its Cannons fault... you call Cannon they tell you its HPs fault... round and round we go

I like it, but then again I don't really use it for much more than basic AM stuff, word processing, and internet surfing lol

If you haven't tried Vista and given it a chance I think you should. That's all I'm saying.

Why? By the time you get it, 7 will be out. There's really no point.

Also XP Pro still performs better with lower memory requirements regardless of what you say. Unless you need 64bit performance, or DirectX 10 (or just a sucker for Areo) there's not much of a point migrating from XP Pro to Vista, especially with 7 just around the corner. Besides, as with XP, I just go into Control Panel and "Adjust for Best Performance" anyways, so not like I bother with an OS just because its "purty".

And personally, I could run Vista without a problem, done so on my Desktop for over a year... but seems like for anyone else that's not a programmer like me, or big geek building their own rig, the shit just blows... You couldn't believe the number of times I had to go fix some "Vista" problem on average folks computer, but once they downgrade to XP, their problems just dropped to "seldom".

And let me ask you something... how long have you been using Vista thus far? Come back and talk after a bout a month or two.

I use the following if you're curious.
MacBook w/ OSX 10.5.6 as the primary OS, can boot into Vista x64, but often just use XP pro in Vmware Fusion to test IE7/8.
Desktop (self built) which had Vista, but I reinstalled XP Pro since the desktop is now the wife's primary machine.
And the wife's HP laptop, reinstalled with XP Pro.

My own testing would seem to corroborate Microsoft's story. If anything, the company is underselling its multicore advantage. Clearly, the optimizations made to the Vista kernel -- both in its original incarnation and in its updated Windows 7 variant -- are having an impact even at the quad-core level. However, better scalability still isn't enough to offset Windows XP's huge performance edge on today's hardware. In fact, it won't be until after Windows 7 has been replaced by the next Windows that the fruit of Microsoft's multicore optimization labors will be fully realized. Then, as we boot our 32- or 64-core netbooks, we can all smile as Microsoft's foresight and perseverance finally start to pay off.

nutshell, skip vista, get 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.