Why don't networks (or high profile affiliates) transparently launch their own offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpanini

Sep 24, 2007
It pisses everyone off when advertisers drop offers, when they shave and scrub, when they lower payouts, when they don't pay out, when they have shitty landing pages etc etc etc...

Why therefore, don't the networks or top affiliates themselves launch their own similar offers?

They are surely in a perfect position to launch them. They have all the industry k
knowledge they need, they have the infrastructure, they have the capital...

If a trusted network were to launch their own acai offer for example, they would surely generate millions, with the trust that people here have for them.

If being an advertiser is as profitable as people claim it is, why aren't networks or even the top affiliates launching their own offers and telling people here that the offer is theirs. If affiliates can put a face and a name to the offers they are promoting, thats surely a positive and profitable thing for the industry as a whole.

Sure, there is risk being an advertiser, but so is owning a network... Network owners aren't exactly risk averse or light of pocket.

i don't get. Will someone please explain...?

Why do you think some affiliates don't already have their own offers?

The question is about making it obvious to the affiliate community who the advertiers are.
Most affiliates, i think, tend to view the advertisers as the enemy. If the advertisers were trusted members of the community, would you not think that that would be a positive thing...?

Networks usually keep their advertisers private and don't want to reveal who their clients are that bring these offers for their affiliates.

Also, there are many moving parts and skills necessary to be an advertiser and many attempted individuals have failed while a few have succeeded. Things are not that easy as they look Panini. It's the same with newbie affiliates where a very few of them make it and become the "super affiliates" people in the industry chatter about....

What your'e saying is not something and knew and I'm sure many people in this business have thought of it. Things that seem simple aren't necessarily that easy usually! (it's cliche but true)

I understand that they want to keep the advertisers private, so people don't go to them directly etc... But surely, thats another reason why networks should launch their own offers.

Networks more than anyone else, know the numbers involved, what it takes to be profitable etc. They can see what has worked in the past and what hasnt. Seriously, who else is going to know better?

I'm not saying its easy, but that it would seem to make sense for everyone involved if they launched their own offers.

It's difficult to be a great affiliate, network, or advertiser, let alone all 3. The opportunity costs associated with getting on the advertiser side (assuming all 3 are linear) is quite high. Risk aside, with a scarcity of resources, scarcity necessitates tradeoffs, and the tradeoffs result in these opportunity cost.

I'm not saying its easy, but that it would seem to make sense for everyone involved if they launched their own offers.

And that's kinda the point...It isn't easy, and it's tough to be everything to everyone. But I follow what you're saying :)

Some networks have launched their own offers in various niches, or worked out exclusive deals for other offers. I'm pretty sure I got a "PrimaryAds direct" offer for an Acai offer emailed out a few weeks ago, but it turns out it's just a private-labeled version of a highly spread offer.

They both already do so. Most don't come out and run around screaming it's their offer.

There are plenty of networks that have their own internal offers. There is a huge difference in owning an offer vs owning a network - it's two totally different businesses. Totally different networking, etc.

The large networks develop their own offers and run them internally to their affiliates, and broker to other networks and make additional margin on them. I have no interest in owning an offer at this point in time, even though I have the resources to.

Fair enough...

Part 2 then:

Why aren't the big advertisers more vocal and public?

For example why aren't the advertisers active on this forum. It seems strange to me that advertisers come and go. They're not really trusted. And people don't really seem to have a problem with that. If some of the big offer owners were more communicative with affiliates, it might solve a lot of issues in the industry for both sides...

Fair enough...

Part 2 then:

Why aren't the big advertisers more vocal and public?

For example why aren't the advertisers active on this forum. It seems strange to me that advertisers come and go. They're not really trusted. And people don't really seem to have a problem with that. If some of the big offer owners were more communicative with affiliates, it might solve a lot of issues in the industry for both sides...

There are thousands of seperate offers out there and an equal number of advertisers. While it would be nice to communicate with them you're never going to get all of them to join here, purely because that's not their business. Why should they join this forum and communicate with affiliates when everything can be so easily run through networks?

There are thousands of seperate offers out there and an equal number of advertisers. While it would be nice to communicate with them you're never going to get all of them to join here, purely because that's not their business. Why should they join this forum and communicate with affiliates when everything can be so easily run through networks?
That's spot on. Advertisers want to focus on their main line of business - selling their product/service at a profitable level. They don't want to have to worry about affiliate recruitment, communications, support, etc. That's why they go to the networks. This doesn't just go for some of the shadier advertisers who do questionable things, but for some of the highest quality advertisers.

I am in agreement with the last post. Wickedfire is really a community for affiliates and affiliate networks. It's not really a space for merchants/advertisers.

Plus what JayKim was saying it's not easy to intergrate 3 ways or even 2 for the most part. It's like any other business being a manufacturer, distributer, retailers etc...

Hope this clears out some of your burning questions Panini.

Advertisers maintain a low profile because what they're doing is straight up shady and borderline-fraudulent.

They're targets for lawyers, FTC, attorney generals, and all that fun stuff that comes along with the advertising industry. They also don't want to deal with affiliates, thats why they bring it straight to networks - so they can do the dirty work of handling affiliates, compliance, and distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.