Who do you use for your VPS?

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
Hey everyone, looking to upgrade and grab a new VPS. I've used knownhost in the past, but looking to see if there is anyone else you guys can recommend.

I'd like to keep it under $25 a month, my spec needs are flexible as this is just going to be used for a few sites.

I've been using linode for the last two years. Their basic VPS is $19/mo and its easy to upgrade. You really need to know your way around linux, though. No fancy control panels or hand-holding, but they do have some really decent how-to guides in the linode library. If you go with them, I'd recommend installing the latest LTS build of Ubuntu.

I've been using Verio since they're really reliable and I haven't needed anything other than Apache and PHP for most of the sites. However, I use Linode for my personal GIT repositories and since I'm going to be playing with NGIX + Python + Django for some python sites.

Linode recently has started making all incoming bandwidth free, so it's great for scraping :p

6sync and linode are solid providers. Been on linode for more than 7 months and I can tell you their VPS are great. I was able to handle ~90,000 UV a day with a 768 MB VPS

Linode Dallas is unbelievable. Atlanta has been 100% since I got that about 6 months ago too.

Fremont, however.... that DC has been getting DOS'd a bit lately. It's good now, but we had a rough week last week.

Still love me some Linode. They've saved my ass more times than I can count with automatic node creation and easy to use DNS panels. You can have a site up and running in the amount of time it takes the DNS to rollover without ever talking to anyone.

what does the linode platform look like? I had a XEN VPS in the past and had trouble getting used to it without a control panel, I'm not the best with SSH.

Am not sure on why you'd want to move away from Knownhost. Been with them for over a year now. There was just one down time of about 2 hours, when their servers were being DDOSed. That was rectified pretty swiftly.

I have been using Hostgator cause their services are better than others....
For me service is more important than money.... So i recommend if you want a good service than hostgator or US base service are genuine to you.

My KnownHost VPS was down all day long recently with no notification and no compensation. It was a datacenter issue, but KnownHost made themselves look incompetent at times during the outage in my opinion.

I will probably be switching to Storm on Demand, especially after their bandwidth price drop yesterday which Bofu2U mentioned.

stormbandwidth572.jpg