Where are my bitcoins CoinBase? SHAPOW!

What I really was getting at was the fact that for a company that is attempting to become a leader in the industry, they are definitely lacking on the support side. Hiring two employees at $10 per hour to answer concerns that are called in should not have a detrimental affect on their bottom line.
I hear ya; many have seen worse treatment and even lost their coins over these roadbumps. Good news is actually on the way in this case: Coinbase Raises $25m in Bitcoin's Biggest Ever Funding Deal

I honestly hate how fucking shady everything feels like when it comes to cryptocurrency. So many of the exchanges share very little information about the owners and are located in areas of the world were any legislation would be futile. You can top that off with lackluster interfaces and poor communication.
It's likely the #1 thing holding us back right now in fact... That and the fact that the tech is still so new and unfamilliar to people. I think Kryptokit looks much more simple than existing wallets though and won't scare off so many newbs. Dark wallet coming in a month or so should be even better.

But really, the underlying problem here is government, as usual. The Chinese don't have so many restrictions from their federal level and you can see what a difference that makes. Since the Senate hearings last month here went so well I don't see it getting worse for murikans in 2014. Possibly better even... Nothing but good news on the horizon, and of course the software is going to be much more user friendly this year too.

I have been acquiring Bitcoins from CoinBase, transferring them over to BTC-E, and then exchanging them for LitCoins.
Are you holding any BTC at all? I can understand wanting to play with the lower apparent risk of loss in LTC, but the multipliers can still be bigger in BTC, and so is its' safety.

Altcoins are a new frontier completely; and apparently an unneeded one. With bitcoin there are drivers and historical precidents that you can use as a map to follow, such as the adoption of the two other important network protocols in the last 50 years: http & smtp. Bitcoin, like those two protocols, will simply keep being adopted by more people for decades until it reaches its' full mass... Litecoins? Who needs them? We don't use any other web or email protocols that simply emulate http and smtp, do we? There's no reason whatsoever for altcoins to keep following bitcoin up much more.

The way I see altcoins is just as a spare-parts pool for bitcoin. If anyone comes up with a truly better innovation in cryptocurrency one day, bitcoin will simply assimilate it and keep growing faster than ever.

This is sort of what I was saying about how the ecosystem and confidence in a currency takes a long time to accrue.

You can't just invent a technology and expect the ecosystem (legal, financial, insurance, trust) to grow up overnight. It takes decades, in some cases generations to emerge. Technological change is fast, social change is very slow.

Well said. I would love the idea of digital currency to be embraced by retailers and consumers since it would definitely make life simpler. The only question is whether or not BitCoin will be THAT digital currency.

I hear ya; many have seen worse treatment and even lost their coins over these roadbumps. Good news is actually on the way in this case: Coinbase Raises $25m in Bitcoin's Biggest Ever Funding Deal

It's likely the #1 thing holding us back right now in fact... That and the fact that the tech is still so new and unfamilliar to people. I think Kryptokit looks much more simple than existing wallets though and won't scare off so many newbs. Dark wallet coming in a month or so should be even better.

But really, the underlying problem here is government, as usual. The Chinese don't have so many restrictions from their federal level and you can see what a difference that makes. Since the Senate hearings last month here went so well I don't see it getting worse for murikans in 2014. Possibly better even... Nothing but good news on the horizon, and of course the software is going to be much more user friendly this year too.

Are you holding any BTC at all? I can understand wanting to play with the lower apparent risk of loss in LTC, but the multipliers can still be bigger in BTC, and so is its' safety.

Altcoins are a new frontier completely; and apparently an unneeded one. With bitcoin there are drivers and historical precidents that you can use as a map to follow, such as the adoption of the two other important network protocols in the last 50 years: http & smtp. Bitcoin, like those two protocols, will simply keep being adopted by more people for decades until it reaches its' full mass... Litecoins? Who needs them? We don't use any other web or email protocols that simply emulate http and smtp, do we? There's no reason whatsoever for altcoins to keep following bitcoin up much more.

The way I see altcoins is just as a spare-parts pool for bitcoin. If anyone comes up with a truly better innovation in cryptocurrency one day, bitcoin will simply assimilate it and keep growing faster than ever.

Trust me, I am one of those that completely does not understand why altcoins exist in the first place. Here we have the main cryptocurrency that is slowly making its way into integration while we have a dozen other altcoins out on the market, it makes no sense. At least BitCoins has some use right now in that you can actually use it with some merchants. All the other altcoins have absolutely no actual use for them except speculation - a deadly death sentence.

The only reason I chose LiteCoins is because I heard that MTGOX will be offering LTC quite soon. Considering the MTGOX is currently the dominate exchange, such news I feel would give LTC a boost right off the bat. There was once a rumor that LTC would be traded on MTGOX later that evening, and the coin jumped 10% just on the rumor.

The instance I see LTC not rising as quickly as BTC percentage wise, I'll switch everything over to BTC.

Decided to utilize my typical technical analysis into BTC's chart, following exactly the same patterns I would react on if it were a stock.

Right now BTC is dropping below a support level of $919 ( currently at $917) on the 5 min chart. This is a support level we saw a few hours ago as well as a being a resistance earlier in the evening. There is a likelihood of seeing $882 being tested soon enough. Which is a support level that can be found over the past couple days. Too lazy to chart this out right now and throw it up here. Point is, <$919...likely to go down to $882.

Above $950 is a good buy, and it would also break out of the triple top it formed there.

By the way, is there a place were it would be possible to short BTC?

Yes but hasn't it been proven mathematically that due to fees + risk its nearly impossible to make money shorting BTC?

You would need a greater than 50% downswing + a hefty amount of capital invested to make a small gain. I'll dig up the site again but they had something retarded like a $50 per position + additional fees.

Coinbase from my exp is a scam. I tried it out and attempted to buy 5 btc. They cleared funds but left the order "pending". I bought at $860 per coin. It sat there for about 3 days then all the sudden when BTC dropped to 670 or so they completed the order. So pretty much they bought the coins for me at a lower price and sold them at a higher price by putting the order on delay.

Coinbase from my exp is a scam. I tried it out and attempted to buy 5 btc. They cleared funds but left the order "pending". I bought at $860 per coin. It sat there for about 3 days then all the sudden when BTC dropped to 670 or so they completed the order. So pretty much they bought the coins for me at a lower price and sold them at a higher price by putting the order on delay.

Will, Where are u buying them?

Note! We've exceeded our normal buy limits for today. If you would still like to purchase you will receive the market price of bitcoin on Friday Dec 20, 2013 at 09:50AM CST after your funds have arrived. read more

Fuck you coinbase

Conzischeme?

For shorting you can also try btc.sx

And yeah you're right, most of the exchanges are pretty shady and you're gonna have a hard time getting any type of support from them. Bitstamp support is alright. But that's part of the speculation isn't it? You're betting that once these things become more mainstream and the companies become more and more legitimate and user-friendly that the value will shoot up.

And yeah you're right, most of the exchanges are pretty shady and you're gonna have a hard time getting any type of support from them. Bitstamp support is alright. But that's part of the speculation isn't it? You're betting that once these things become more mainstream and the companies become more and more legitimate and user-friendly that the value will shoot up.

From what I understand, Vault of Satoshi is based out of Canadia and has phone and email support. They also have non-anonymous people behind the company. Not sure if they have the same liquidity but they look less shady than some of these other exchanges you guys are throwing your money into.

It's just incredible, really incredible, that in this age of connectivity when it costs almost nothing to call another country, that a 'company' to which you bank wire $35,000 will not let you talk to them on the phone. Nor do they respond to your emails.

I agree that *partly* this is because we're in the early adopter speculation period, but WHAT THE FUCK

Very interested to hear how this is resolved for you. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Coinbase from my exp is a sc@m. I tried it out and attempted to buy 5 btc. They cleared funds but left the order "pending". I bought at $860 per coin. It sat there for about 3 days then all the sudden when BTC dropped to 670 or so they completed the order. So pretty much they bought the coins for me at a lower price and sold them at a higher price by putting the order on delay.

True.. but regardless of how much money they made, you still would've paid the same price. Now you may lose money by not having access to trade your btc, but if you're just stacking then it doesn't really matter. You pay whatever the market price is at the time when you decide to buy - regardless of the method of purchase. And it should also be noted that the opposite is true as well.. I purchased at $500 and they delivered my btc when the price of it was literally double. But I was able to lock in the lower price.

In my experience and research, Coinbase is not a sc@m, and I'd like to make that clear for anyone that finds this thread. I think you just pulled the trigger a few days early on that trade is all, bro.

It looks like even mGrunin's issue was maybe just the result of a lack of a refined interface/system.

CB is the main entry point to btc for U.S. citizens and as far as I can tell, and in my experience, they're legit and trustworthy.

Decided to utilize my typical technical analysis into BTC's chart, following exactly the same patterns I would react on if it were a stock.

Right now BTC is dropping below a support level of $919 ( currently at $917) on the 5 min chart. This is a support level we saw a few hours ago as well as a being a resistance earlier in the evening. There is a likelihood of seeing $882 being tested soon enough. Which is a support level that can be found over the past couple days. Too lazy to chart this out right now and throw it up here. Point is, <$919...likely to go down to $882.

Above $950 is a good buy, and it would also break out of the triple top it formed there.

I'm all over this shit.. I could give a fuck less about stocks.. but trading alts/btc with it's youthful volatility is fun as hell and has sparked a new found interest in charting and technical analysis for me.

Would love it if you kept these type of posts coming, or even start a btc/alts trading thread separately.

You seem like a smart guy, and grats on seeing the potential in btc fairly early on.. but I hope you don't mind me saying that your blind, emotional attachment to Bitcoin has the potential to really fuck you if you're not careful.

Altcoins may not be needed but did/do we need the federal reserve? Yet our entire economy is based on it. And no - nobody needs multiple email protocols, but many apparently think they need multiple email clients... multiple browsers, etc..

We probably could've gotten by with just gold, as well.. but we also like the other shiny rocks.

There's also talk about how Litecoin is "just" bitcoin but a couple of years ago and also has an inflated price due to btc..

First of all.. It's a bad thing that ltc is like btc a couple of years ago?

Secondly.. Yes the price of Litecoin is inflated due to speculation, but not near as much as btc is.

This is my second ACH transfer with them. My first one was on April 9th. Throughout the past two weeks I have been using their instant feature to get coins right away and it was working perfectly fine. Only thing is that I am limited to only 10 instant BTC per week, while I had to place this order of 40.
I've been using them for awhile and haven't had any issues yet, but it did make be think, especially during the past month where I've used them quite a bit. Each buy order taking 5 days to see the funds and/or bitcoins appear in my acct. Yet it only takes 2 to 3 days to wire transfer funds to, let's say, an exchange like Bitstamp. Can't really see the big advantage with their "connect your bank acct" feature. This feature alone should've turned it into a relatively fluid process of instant buys, sells, and withdrawals. (Or at minimun into to same day transactions). But it ends up being slower than a straight wire transfer.

Having said this, the price lock when ordering is kinda cool. Let's say I order at $800 and the price of bitcoin shoots up to $1000 in 5 days. So far coinbase have honored my transactions, but we do often hear stories of transactions that "failed" or were "flagged" in the bitcoin forums . Since coinbase holds the bag, the financial risks, it could be a motivating factor... :pimp: But an exchange doesn't need to worry about holding the bag. Profits and losses, buys and sales, all happen between the participants.

Coinbase vs Bitstamp Review - Bitcoin Exchanges - What Is The Difference? | Newfination

edit: come to think of it, ACH bank transfers do take 5 days between banks. so maybe there's no real way around it.

...but I hope you don't mind me saying that your blind, emotional attachment to Bitcoin has the potential to really fuck you if you're not careful.
You certainly wouldn't be the first... But to called it a "Blind, emotional attachment" shows me that you haven't read many of my posts. The amount of research I've done on the subject would blow your little mind.

Altcoins may not be needed but did/do we need the federal reserve? Yet our entire economy is based on it.
You're right! Altcoins are just like the fed! -They have all the same powers and incentives, don't they! :stonedsmilie:

And no - nobody needs multiple email protocols, but many apparently think they need multiple email clients... multiple browsers, etc..
Bitcoin = FTP = HTTP = SMTP <-These are protocols. There can be only one for it to be useful.

KryptoKit = Filezilla = Firefox = Outlook <-These are apps. The more the merrier!

We probably could've gotten by with just gold, as well.. but we also like the other shiny rocks.
Portable shiny rocks = Protocol, not App.

First of all.. It's a bad thing that ltc is like btc a couple of years ago?
That's just an illusion. It's not really "like" bitcoin was at any point because bitcoin was born and bred to be money; litecoin is basically a toy that some people haven't figured out is a toy yet. It's kinda sad to watch really.

Secondly.. Yes the price of Litecoin is inflated due to speculation, but not near as much as btc is.
I couldn't disagree more. Litecoin is in a weird sort of tethered bubble... Destined to crash one day when saner heads prevail.

Meanwhile, Bitcoin has quite a long way to grow towards its' potential.