Watch me grow my company!

samgeneric

Jul 26, 2009
Deerfield Beach, FL
I've been a member here for a while, and I have loved this community. I'm a bit of a lurker, though I have been known to post here and there (you may remember my fun catnip project)

Anyhow, I started an alarm monitoring and security products company - www.alarmgrid.com back in May, and have grown the traffic pretty substantially. We have contracts with Honeywell, all the major distributors, a huge central station, have gotten our licenses in order, and are open for business. We're getting quite a few product purchases a day, and are now monitoring quite a substantial number of accounts.

The goal is to grow this thing into a sort of Zappos for alarm equipment. We are trying to grow it into a BFB (big f'ing brand -> my acronym so don't feel bad if you didn't know).

Anyhow, I think we're on our way and I think we're doing it by doing some really creative and fun marketing. For example, we have an awesome FAQ section on our website. I know, now you're rolling your eyes thinking something like, "FAQs aren't unique". Ok, sure, but the way we are figuring out which questions to answer is pretty unique and fun, and I'm going to explain it. Maybe you disagree, but I find that people's processes are the most fun to learn, and they are also the most valuable bits of success since breaking something into discreet parts means you can apply the technique in other areas. Moreover, as we grow, I am going to be sharing a lot of our data and stats. Like, for example, we implemented a chat widget that's been incredibly effective. As we implement features like that, I will be sharing how effective the tool has been for us, and how we have been using it internally.

Now, I'm a marketer who plays things pretty close to the chest. I have my secrets, I've learned from a lot of you, I learned from my mentor, but now, I'd kind of like to do what I can to give back. If you're an experienced marketer, new to marketing, or whatever, I'd love if you all watched me grow this company and participated in it by reading my blog posts, asking me questions here, contributing ideas there. Whatever you want. I would like to basically take you step by step through what I'm doing so that you can build a brand of your own (if we're successful) or learn from my mistakes (if we're not).

Anyhow, I'm always available on WickedFire, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd love if you followed my author RSS. It's a bit broken right now and displays all posts for the blog. But we're fixing that. Also forgive the look of the site. I know it looks like a credit card scam. We're in the middle of design. Just remember, the stats above are in spite of the way the site looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hammi

@samgeneric, good luck, gentlemen! Subbed!

a-handshake.jpg

Uh oh... Using STS for free advertising? You better offer a sacrifice of what's ever in your wallet to the jew god, Jon. He doesn't get very happy when he sees these types of threads in STS.

I killed the URL for the company... lighten up.

::emp::

Was referencing the blog and asking for subscribers. Someone got a tongue lashing a couple of weeks ago for doing the same thing. Just giving him a heads up. OP might wanna do what the last guy did and turn this thread into the blog.

You should read this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Champions-Twenty-First-Century-Strategies/dp/0387981462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354292152&sr=8-1&keywords=hidden+champions"]Amazon.com: Hidden Champions of the Twenty-First Century: The Success Strategies of Unknown World Market Leaders (9780387981468): Hermann Simon: Books[/ame]

It's about focused niche companies that dominate narrow markets. I think it's very applicable to what you're trying to build.

Essentially: do one thing and do it well.

I run a somewhat similar business. Not alarms, but similar in that it's a narrow niche, electronics related, and something that's "hackable".

I see you're working one approach pretty hard...big name partnerships. A different approach that's worked well for me is to appeal to the uber-nerdy DIY electronics crowd.

- reverse engineer the protocol for some of your alarms and publish it. Become the source for information on how to integrate your own sensors, etc, in with the alarms you sell.

- pay somebody that's capable, either with cash, or products, to create a cool project and publish it on instructables or some popular electronic hobbyist website. For example, integrating a home-made water sensor, and showing how it could detect a flooding basement and trigger the alarm.

At least with my stuff, this created direct sales, and a good deal of free, high quality backlinks. It also netted me a contact with a smart guy that gave me bargain-basement pricing on some PCB design work, saving me quite a bit.