VPS Hosting - Recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

profitaddiction

Feb 9, 2009
www.profitaddiction.com
I've been searching lately for a VPS host and found: Slicehost - VPS Hosting - Rates seem competitive, services are on par/better than most competitors. Anybody worked with them and/or recommend anybody else?

/titties

nude_beach_house-sun_bathing.jpg

Yea, haven't had a problem with them. Support is great. Also you can try using the coupon 10percentoff

Not sure if it still works. Most likely.

Numbers look pretty good... You been using them for awhile?

I've been using them for a few months now and I love it. Also, their support is great. They always respond within 10-20mins, not sure if its 24/7 but I sent a support ticket real late and got back an answer real quick.

I have had a VPS with Liquidweb for probably about 8 months now. They are more expensive than a lot of other companies but their support is awesome, huge huge help if you aren't that familiar with WHM. I definitely think their support team makes the price difference well worth it.

Hi ,

I have been using SliceHost for over 1 year now. I am RoR coder, and they are, this is how I knew them.

Advantages:
1) Great and details documentation: Slicehost Article Repository - VPS setup, servers, Ruby on Rails, Django, PHP, DNS, Slicemanager and more
2) Quite decent prices (Linode is 25% cheaper)
3) High availability, never ever had downtime

disadvantages:
1) They will never give you multiple class C addresses for a slice.

No VPS hosting will ask you to install OS (as far I know). Once you build your slice, you will be asked to choose OS. You can choose Centos or Ubuntu or whatever you like. However, I would recommend you to choose Ubuntu hardy. Then, add your domain from their free control panel. After that, you have to install apache, mysql. For that, there is super detailed info here:
Ubuntu Hardy Heron Slice setup from base Slice install to fully working, secure server.

Good Luck,
Adi

Reactions: profitaddiction
I am actually on Slice Host atm, however am contemplating the move to Linode.com...

From what I have heard and read its much of a muchness. The Primary reason I am doing it is for latency purposes. As one of the linode data centers gives me better latency to a particular geo target market of mine.

Cannot fault Slice. For a solid review of Linode by a VPS expert read this post.

The techy blogger in question is a Gun, when it comes to VPS configs.

Linode.com Xen Virtual Server Review | HostingFu

IF you aren't comfortable managing a VPS or a dedicated your a bit crazy to go with slice host (although I love them). Your better off for your first one going with a premium provider that sets it up for you and hardens (secures) your set up for you.

Liquid Web is great on that score.

grab a VPS from LiquidWeb, the package I am on gives me 4 IP's with Cpanel/Fantastico/WHM and fast support.

+1 for Liquidweb ... if you don't know that much about servers and want a fully managed VPS they are the way to go.

They have VPS plans starting at $60 a month with awesome support. I've never had to wait more than 5-min for a support ticket to be answered.

I used to use Slicehost. They're decent but Linode is 100x better. Better prices, FAR better speeds, a better API, more OS choices, great support (they're always available on IRC), etc.

They'll give you more IPs for $1/mo extra but if you ask for too many they'll ask for a reason, just to find out if you're spamming or not.

Linode is unmanaged.

All I've ever had is shared and I would like to know more about the differences between shared and VPS. I looked at slicehost and it seems really cheap for the starter, but can get expensive quickly. Is there a good review or resource anyone can recommend for a noob?

I use autoblogs and autoresponders so I can blow through shared hosting limits pretty fast, and I know I'll need to up my game at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.