Tuts+, Lynda... OR

stmadeveloper

Aug 30, 2007
So I've got some free time coming up while I do some recovery from a surgery (yep - getting breast implants so I can do spoon pics and move to Thailand ).

Figured it's a good time to brush up on my design and programming skills. I'm never going to be a pro at photoshop, so more concerned with ajax, jquery, html5, etc...

Tuts+ or Lynda -- or is there another solution?

Programming books + a laptop to try the code yourself. I learn best by doing, not watching. I hate Lynda for most topics because its very hard to do it yourself while watching a video.

^ yes, learning > watching, do a project to make whatever, fail badly at it, have a load of realisations along the way, end up making something half decent, with the knowledge to make something good next time you try. Whatever you do, don't keep "starting from scratch".

Get an idea for something cool, then make it. You'll spend 90% of your time looking shit up and doing things wrong, but after a while you'll take a step back and see you're making progress. That's a damn good feeling. Then you just keep at it and eventually you'll have a finished product. The code will probably be ugly as sin, but it will work and it will be your baby. The best way to learn is by just fucking making something.

I'm not learning from scratch though kids... and I won't be up to doing more than watching for a few days.

tutsplus stuff is pretty good, theres more than enough good free stuff there to keep you occupied for a while.
The paid stuff might be fantastic, or crap, i dont know because the free stuff has always been good enough for me, combined with stackoverflow when i fuck something up.

+1 for nettuts - just finished their Jquery in 30 days series and Jeffrey Way does a good job explaining the basics. I'm all for hacking at shit and creating something of your own to practice with, but at least for me it helps to have the basics down first.

Learn jQuery in 30 Days | Nettuts+

i dont like video programs to learn from. just get a good book and write code from scratch. i like head first series.

I was subscribed for a while to lynda.com

Can just recommend them.( did not use them for the programming though)

They've got this huge ass ebook library too.

Lynda has a wide selection. Honestly, I love these video learning sites, but I've found they're only good for understanding core concepts or reviewing things you're a little rusty on.

i dont like video programs to learn from. just get a good book and write code from scratch. i like head first series.

Seconded - and I don't know about the entire series, but the PHP/MySQL one from Head First is actually pretty amusing.

If you like video courses, though, CodeSchool and Udemy both have a lot of good options. The quality is not as consistent on Udemy, though, given that it's an open marketplace.

I'm interested in beefing up my coding knowledge as well and appreciate the links above.

Stupid questions:

1. Are there any good resources to break down for me what different programming languages are used for?

2. From a purely "making money online" perspective, what languages have been the most beneficial for you guys to learn?