TrueCrypt

drave

fear not
Apr 12, 2012
anybody using this for file/folder/drive/opsys encryption? ran across it recently, seems ridiculously robust for freeware, wondered if any of you have 1st hand reviews.

Yes I've used it many times. Works great. AFAIK no one has cracked it unless the PC was left running.

I sure as hell wouldn't trust any closed source programs.

It's the best free one out there. If you do full drive encryption, don't forget you encrypted it. Your OS will recognize it as an unformatted drive until you use truecrypt to mount it.

Hell yeah. TrueCrypt is really the only thing I use. No government agencies have been able to crack it AND since it's open source there is absolutely no backdoor like a lot of "encryption" software and solutions have. Now, obviously, if you lose the key, you're shit out of luck, as a true encryption software should be.

LOL @ CryptCarter tag... :D

It's the best free one out there. If you do full drive encryption, don't forget you encrypted it. Your OS will recognize it as an unformatted drive until you use truecrypt to mount it.

do you mean non-C drive here? i'm in the process of a full drive encryption on my OS drive, but i thought the boot password would automatically mount it. i still have 7 hours left on the first encryption because i chose a 3x wipe, so i haven't been thru the post-encrypt process yet.

do you mean non-C drive here? i'm in the process of a full drive encryption on my OS drive, but i thought the boot password would automatically mount it. i still have 7 hours left on the first encryption because i chose a 3x wipe, so i haven't been thru the post-encrypt process yet.

I was talking about non-bootable drives from old machines you might have laying around so long that you forgot what was on them. If they are full-drive encrypted, the OS won't see any partitions on it without using truecrypt to mount it. If you do full-drive encryption, truecrypt will give you a warning to this effect before encrypting.

Don't use it.
I talked about this in another thread as well about it not being secure.
Update on it: I met the guy as well and asked him about it but couldn't really understand it - he's a professional cryptographer and I have zero experience with it, and I'm not going to post what he said on an open forum.

I did ask him what according to him was the most secure, and he said an algorithm you've made yourself was the most secure.

Don't use it.
I talked about this in another thread as well about it not being secure.
Update on it: I met the guy as well and asked him about it but couldn't really understand it - he's a professional cryptographer and I have zero experience with it, and I'm not going to post what he said on an open forum.

I did ask him what according to him was the most secure, and he said an algorithm you've made yourself was the most secure.

i replied to you on a forum i made myself.

i replied to you on a forum i made myself.

I'll reply to you right here.
You need to learn to use Advanced Search. Trust me, it'll make life a whole lot easier. You won't have to come up with semi-witty responses anymore.

You don't need to read the previous comment to even understand this one.

Take it or leave it. Had you asked nicer I probably would've even considered digging it up for you, but I don't want to let you miss out on a learning opportunity. I don't even have that many posts, you can just go through them manually. Here's some help since you lack reading comprehension - It should say something about meeting someone someday.
Or find the advanced search option and just search for "meeting"

23eq.jpg

Hahahahahaha XD

He's a professional cryptographer. Has worked with a company everyone on this forum has heard of and has been offered a position of Senior Analyst in an intelligence Agency. Passionate about cryptography. He's developed his own algorithm for himself which his co-workers could not break.
And he wasn't bragging about the last part, it just came up, so yes, I trust him when he told me not to use Truecrypt and explained how it works, which seems really simple to crack.

I've seen some of his other work. Never seen stuff like it, he's fucking badass.

I'll reply to you right here.
You need to learn to use Advanced Search. Trust me, it'll make life a whole lot easier. You won't have to come up with semi-witty responses anymore.

You don't need to read the previous comment to even understand this one.

Take it or leave it. Had you asked nicer I probably would've even considered digging it up for you, but I don't want to let you miss out on a learning opportunity. I don't even have that many posts, you can just go through them manually. Here's some help since you lack reading comprehension - It should say something about meeting someone someday.
Or find the advanced search option and just search for "meeting"
He told me, I forgot, but it's easy to decrypt. He's been offered a pretty decent post at C|A(fuck you, google alerts) so I'm willing to take his word for it.
IMHO, it being open source should be reason enough to not use it for encryption. Plus, with all the hype about FBI failing to crack a Truecrypt encrypted harddisk - I just don't buy it.

Your best bet is your own encryption technique.

EDIT: I'm off to sleep, long day. Will probably meet with him this sunday and if I remember, I'll ask him about it and update you guys.

You might mean well, but the total sum of your posts is zero. You don't cite any credible sources and you are about as technical as my grand mother.