Time Management

toppymoney

ist brüno
Jan 2, 2009
Your Mom's House
Its a bitch.

So. What do you do to manage your time? Calendar? Post it Notes? To do Lists? Whiteboards?

I ask because my new years resolution is to manage my time better and be more productive.

Discuss.

To do lists, Eat That Frog style. However, I'm beginning to find that I'm just getting things done and not wanting to make the lists anymore. I'm going to continue to force myself to make them.

If you haven't, check out Eat That Frog. Download the eBook, it's a light read and shouldn't take any more than a week of slow reading. I also got David Allen's Getting Things Done for Christmas, but I won't be reading it for a while.

There was a big thread about time management a few weeks back, do a quick search.

And this.

To do lists, Eat That Frog style. However, I'm beginning to find that I'm just getting things done and not wanting to make the lists anymore. I'm going to continue to force myself to make them.

If you haven't, check out Eat That Frog. Download the eBook, it's a light read and shouldn't take any more than a week of slow reading. I also got David Allen's Getting Things Done for Christmas, but I won't be reading it for a while.

And this.

I was weary of the spinz. Thanks brah.

Bet you bought this bad boy....
pomodoro-timer.gif

But seriously i'll have to give that try.

this should help...

1 goto google

2 type "time management hotfile rapidshare"

3 download guru productivity stuff for free!!!

4 watch the 10 dvd collection on how to stay focused on making monies

5 realize you just waisted 20 hours watching more guru BS instead of working and learned nothing useful

6 bang your head against the keyboard until your eyes bleed

ok some real advice..

visualize goals and success, write down your motivations to succeed. if you really want it bad enough you'll find a way, never make excuses.

Chronic Procrastination is NOT a Time Management Problem!

If you give a procrastinator a new time management tool, he will just play with the new time management tool as a way to procrastinate. The problem is not a lack of time management skills - or not mainly a lack of time management skills. Procrastination is a form of addictive escapism that must be dealt with directly or there will be no recovery.

Recovery from procrastination (aka compulsive task avoidance) cannot be achieved by abstaining from your current favorite procrastination activity, because you'll just switch to something else (just as cutting out certain foods doesn't resolve compulsive eating problems). Recovery from procrastination means doing what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it.

Chronic Procrastination is NOT a Time Management Problem! | Procrastinators Anonymous

Reactions: -Matt- and uplinked
Tools for Recovery

• Break It Down: Break down projects into specific action steps; include preparation tasks in the breakdown.

• Visualization: Plan what to do, then imagine yourself doing it. The more specific and vivid your visualization, the better. See yourself doing the task, and doing it well.

• Ask Yourself Why: While you are visualizing doing the task, see if you can detect what it is about the task that feels odious to you, what uncomfortable feeling you are avoiding. Knowing what's behind the avoidance can help you get past it - for example, address real problems or ignore irrational fears.

• Focus on Long-Term Consequences: Procrastinators have a tendency to focus on short-term pleasure, and shut out awareness of long-term consequences. Remind yourself how panicked and awful you'll feel if the task isn't done, then imagine how good it will feel when the task is finished.

• Avoid Time Bingeing: One reason procrastinators dread starting is that once they start they don't let themselves stop. Plan to work on a task for a defined period of time, then set a timer. When the timer goes off, you're done.

• Use Small Blocks of Time: Procrastinators often have trouble doing tasks in incremental steps, and wait for big blocks of time that never come. When you have small blocks of time, use them to work on the task at hand.

• Avoid Perfectionism: Procrastinators have a tendency to spend more time on a task than it warrants, so tasks that should be quick to do take an agonizingly long time. Notice this tendency and stop yourself. Some things require completion, not perfection.

• Keep a Time Log: Increase your awareness of time by logging what you are doing throughout the day. This is a great diagnostic tool for discovering where your time went, and an excellent way to become better at estimating how long tasks take.

• Develop Routines: To help structure your day and make a habit of things you always need to do, develop routines for what you do when you wake up, regular tasks of your workday, and what you need to do before going to bed.

• Bookend Tasks and Time: Use the Bookending board on the P.A. Web site to check in throughout the day, or at the beginning or end of specific tasks you are dreading. Details are at the top of the Bookending board (www.procrastinators-anonymous.org).

Procrastinators Anonymous - Tools for Recovery

i wrote my own software to track all my tasks/projects and keep track of time and so forth

but a big thing for me is scheduling "thinking" time, where it's just me and a paper notebook and a pen. no comp or any digital tools.

this can be akin to "planning" that some people do, but to me, thinking is the most critical point of it. this where is where i basically think through the project. visual how i want it to look at the end. what's involved. the main processes of the project, etc. and during this time, i'm writing/sketching/doodling out.

then i transfer all of my thinking into a project on my own software and off we go. been pretty successful so far.

another big thing that i've noticed, is that many times it's not "project management", but more "energy management", but that's another topic

Tools for Recovery

• Break It Down: Break down projects into specific action steps; include preparation tasks in the breakdown.

• Visualization: Plan what to do, then imagine yourself doing it. The more specific and vivid your visualization, the better. See yourself doing the task, and doing it well.

• Ask Yourself Why: While you are visualizing doing the task, see if you can detect what it is about the task that feels odious to you, what uncomfortable feeling you are avoiding. Knowing what's behind the avoidance can help you get past it - for example, address real problems or ignore irrational fears.

• Focus on Long-Term Consequences: Procrastinators have a tendency to focus on short-term pleasure, and shut out awareness of long-term consequences. Remind yourself how panicked and awful you'll feel if the task isn't done, then imagine how good it will feel when the task is finished.

• Avoid Time Bingeing: One reason procrastinators dread starting is that once they start they don't let themselves stop. Plan to work on a task for a defined period of time, then set a timer. When the timer goes off, you're done.

• Use Small Blocks of Time: Procrastinators often have trouble doing tasks in incremental steps, and wait for big blocks of time that never come. When you have small blocks of time, use them to work on the task at hand.

• Avoid Perfectionism: Procrastinators have a tendency to spend more time on a task than it warrants, so tasks that should be quick to do take an agonizingly long time. Notice this tendency and stop yourself. Some things require completion, not perfection.

• Keep a Time Log: Increase your awareness of time by logging what you are doing throughout the day. This is a great diagnostic tool for discovering where your time went, and an excellent way to become better at estimating how long tasks take.

• Develop Routines: To help structure your day and make a habit of things you always need to do, develop routines for what you do when you wake up, regular tasks of your workday, and what you need to do before going to bed.

• Bookend Tasks and Time: Use the Bookending board on the P.A. Web site to check in throughout the day, or at the beginning or end of specific tasks you are dreading. Details are at the top of the Bookending board (www.procrastinators-anonymous.org).

Awesome Post! this is exactly right, people keep looking for the perfect method to get them on track when it's more of a self destruction mentality of the person. I know I'm one of them. I'm thinking about a PA, too keep myself on track, but i'm going to try your above methods to see if i can fix myself. :(

P.S. How are you supposed to read time management books, if you can't ever make time to read them. -discuss

Awesome Post! this is exactly right, people keep looking for the perfect method to get them on track when it's more of a self destruction mentality of the person. I know I'm one of them. I'm thinking about a PA, too keep myself on track, but i'm going to try your above methods to see if i can fix myself. :(

P.S. How are you supposed to read time management books, if you can't ever make time to read them. -discuss
You're not, that's the point. If you have to read a book on it, you fail. Just start doing stuff, really fast, right now no plans or strategies, there is no time, close wickedfire, just go do it all right now

Reactions: -Matt-
Tools for Recovery

Dude, logged in just to +REP you for this!

I've never heard that term before, and holy FUCK is that me.

Off to google shit about it now instead of work... Oh wait...

Write down you to-do's on a piece of paper (I do it and it has helped me). It does not get any simpler than this.