there is a domain expiring that i want. how can i be the first to register it?

consigliere

Jan 27, 2009
San Francisco, CA
any tips or tricks on how to be the first one to register it in my name after it expires? are there any services out there to use to guarantee a purchase?

if i use your trick and i'm able to buy this domain i want, i'll buy you an available domain as a little gift :jester:

snapnames.com
pool.com
namejet.com

Those are the big 3 and the ones most likely to be able to pick it up. The first thing you'll want to do is see where the domain is registered. If it's at either godaddy, name.com, or dynadot then you can pick it up before it drops from the register through their in-house auction systems. If it's not registered at any of those then you'll want to see if it's available at either namejet or snapnames as a "pre-release" or "pending expiration". It's a long process but if you read their faq's and "how it works" you'll see how they can grab the domain for you before it expires.

If it's listed as a pending delete domain then you can backorder it at either pool, namejet, or snapnames and if either one of them catches you pay $59/$69 or if more than 1 person backorders the domain it goes into auction mode.

Backordering is so volatile because there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get the name. Contacting the person who currently owns the domain is a bad lot too because if they know it has value then your also screwed.

If the chance of someone else wanting it when it expires is low then use the godaddy back ordering process, you can choose to hide your backorder details as well.

Not sure if the sites listed above may be cheaper though!

I also find they renew it at the very last moment 9/10 times.

If its a domain you really, really want and are prepared to spend at least $500 or more then secure as many backorders as possible from every where. Do not and I repeat do not rely on Godaddy BO service alone. You will lose that name 90% of the time. All the fucking BO does is place a $10 bid if the domain goes to auction. Fuck godaddy and all their bullshit.

All other BO's will go to auction only when there is BO's placed by more than one person. Most of these places like snapnames, namejet, and pool will make the auction private which is nice but it is a blind auction.

So, when it comes to domains that you have an interest in do not rely on bull shit appraisals or what the fucks at DP, WaFo think its worth. What it's worth is solely up to you. Set a ceiling amount that you be willing to go and be prepared to go over it if you feel you can win with just another bid or two.

Once the domain is captured learn the auction house rules. Learn when to bid as most increase the time if a bid is placed late like crapdaddy.

The bottom line is if you plan to keep this domain for years to come then paying a large upfront fee to acquire it is not a big deal.

I'd like to bump this question with regard to co.uk domains.

Looks like godaddy auctions and the big three (snapnames.com, pool.com, namejet.com) offer only main tlds (com net org etc).

Anyone knows where I can get specific country tld domains like co.uk?

As a domainer, I'd never use godaddy backordering process.... pay 20$ up front and wont even get the domain. Go backorder it at both pool and snapnames... you will only pay if you win too. They catch most of the expiring domains. (if multiple people backorder, it goes to 3 day auction). But you only pay if you win....

I've had instances where I've just "registered" a pending delete domain from Godaddy and they just gave it to me. So, if it is with Godaddy, it's always worth just trying to buy it first before placing a bid.

Screw this bull*hit with back ordering, auctions, etc. If the domain is worthwhile, chances are that many people are looking to get it the same way you do. You just risk losing it to someone else. If you really want already registered domain, make a deal with the owner. Analyze the domain and website (if it exists) to determine how profitable it may be and assess it's overall worth. Once you have this information, contact the owner/s directly and make them an offer they can't refuse. ;)