The Cholesterol Conundrum

Lost 15 pounds after reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.

Yeah, eat lots of meat and green vegetables and avoid sugar like the plague. Also avoid eating bread.

I eat as much damn eggs and bacon in the morning as I want.

Fry the bacon in low heat. It will take longer but its better for you. Bacon has added nitrates. When nitrites are exposed to high heat, in the presence of amino acids, they can turn into compounds called nitrosamines.

There are many different types of nitrosamines and most of them are potent carcinogens.

I used to have high fat nuts with full fat yogurt and cream for breakfast:

Frukost6.jpg

Here is the recipe: LCHF-breakfast in the summer | DietDoctor.com

I take a teaspoon of greek bio full fat (10% fat) yogurt and add in generous amounts of full fat double cream (50% fat). I whip it to a good consistency.
In addition I add in 2 heaped teaspoons of cocunut fat, and whip again.

I don't add in the blueberries as I want it as low carb as possible. I don't use the exact nuts as in the recipe, but i chose nuts according to:

saturated/monounsaturated/omega 3 > omega 6 fats

So I take a cup of the mixed nuts/seeds and add it to the prepared cream.

That breakfast is really filling, and I don't feel like eating lunch.

What I am doing recently (one month so far):

Instead of that breakfast, I created my own coffee recipe. Add in 2 heaping teaspoons of cocunut fat, a piece of organic pasture butter (15-20g), pour in espresso, top it up with some hot water, stir and top up with generous amounts of full fat double cream (50% fat). Drinking this, it saves me time, I don't need to eat until lunch, and my mind is sharp.

When I surf the net, it turns out what I made is part of the recipe for bulletproof coffee, and lots of people are doing this.

When you have a long ass Youtube talk.

1. Copy URL
2. Open VLC > Open File > Open Network Stream
3. Paste Youtube URL
4. Press Play
5. Press ] to speed up playback and [ to slow it down.

Enjoying getting thru videos 2-3 faster

gGlb5k0.png

This is a great documentary on the issue:

$TATIN NATION

Here's an organization of cholesterol skeptics:

The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics

A book by the guy who runs the above organization (Fat and Cholesterol Are Good for You):

Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You

This is the first book I read about cholesterol and fat. It started me on my journey to find out more about how diet affects us.

The author proposes that it is the inflammation that is the result of a virus infection that causes blockage which leads to heart diesease. Though its plausable, I don't think this is the major contributing cause though.

With the craze of high carb low fat lifestyle ever since Ancel Keys demonized fat, there has been an epidemic of heart disease. I pondered its the inflammation caused by our diet of high carb/sugar, since we bombard our body with it every day.

So I researched to see if there are any study relating to blood sugar and heart disease. I won't list everything I have found, but here is just a few studies that supports the theory:

1. Glucose metabolism in patients with acute myocardial infarction and no previous diagnosis of diabetes mellitus: a prospective study.

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/citation/body/172519925-2/jorg=journal&source=MI&sp=12416117&sid=0/N/12416117/1.html?issn

This study indicates that people with high blood sugar (HbA(1c)) levels are prone to suffer from heart attacks

2. Glycemic control and coronary heart disease risk in persons with and without diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study.

Glycemic control and coronary heart disease ... [Arch Intern Med. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

HbA(1c) levels are in effect a measurement of how many blood cells are 'sugar coated'. So the higher your blood sugar - the higher your HbA(1c) level.

The paper reports that an elevated HbA(1c) level may promote heart disease.

3. Glycemic control, atherosclerosis, and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in individuals with diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=18

The study concluded that high blood sugar levels may cause heart disease.

High blood sugar is caused by eating a diet of carbohydrates

Whats more, we have been told that if we do eat fat, the only fat we should consume is polyunsaturated fat. The polyunsaturated fat is good and the saturated fat is bad bullshit.

4. Use of dietary linoleic acid for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death: evaluation of recovered data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and updated meta-analysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23386268

The objective of the study was to evaluate the effectiveness of replacing dietary saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat, for the prevention of coronary heart disease and death in men with heart disease. The study lasted for 39 months and included 458 men, aged 30-59 years, who had had a heart attack or angina.

The men were allocated into two groups and instructed to either:
(i) Increase their polyunsaturated fat intake to about 15%, reduce their intake of saturated fat and to less than 10% and reduce their dietary cholesterol to 300 mg per day. To achieve these targets these men were provided with liquid safflower oil and safflower oil polyunsaturated margarine (high polyunsaturated fat group).
(ii) Carry on with their normal diet (saturated fat group).

The study found:
(a) After 12 months the cholesterol levels of the men on the high polyunsaturated fat diet were 8.5% lower than the men on the high saturated fat diet.
(b) Men who consumed the high polyunsaturated fat diet had a 62% increased risk of death compared to the men who consumed the high saturated fat diet.
(c) Men who consumed the high polyunsaturated fat diet had a 70% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease compared to the men who consumed the high saturated fat diet.
(d) Men who consumed the high polyunsaturated fat diet had a 62% increased risk of death from heart disease compared to the men who consumed the high saturated fat diet.

The study shows that increasing dietary polyunsaturated fats and decreasing saturated fats is associated with an increase in both overall death rates and heart disease death rates.

5. Dietary intakes of fat and total mortality among Japanese populations with a low fat intake: the Japan Collaborative Cohort (JACC) Study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24597664

This study aimed to elucidate associations between dietary fat and total mortality. The study included 58,672 men and women, aged 40 to 79 years, who were followed for 19.3 years.

Regarding saturated fat, the study found:
(a) Men who consumed the highest amounts of saturated fat had a 2% reduced risk of death from any cause compared to men who consumed the lowest amounts of saturated fat.
(b) Men who consumed the highest amounts of saturated fat had a 7% reduced risk of death from cardiovascular diseases compared to men who consumed the lowest amounts of saturated fat.
(c) Women who consumed the highest amounts of saturated fat had a 9% reduced risk of death from any cause compared to women who consumed the lowest amounts of saturated fat.
(d) Women who consumed the highest amounts of saturated fat had a 1% reduced risk of death from cardiovascular diseases compared to women who consumed the lowest amounts of saturated fat.

Although I'm at my ideal weight I can't kick my habit for lemonade during the summer. It has a lot of sugar but I drink a lot of it during these warmer months.

this is too complex for my peasant mind.

this is why i eat soylent 3 times a day, 365 days a year. soylent has all the nutrients you need to be healthy, and there is no prerequisite to "be da smartz" to understand what you have to eat. also, there's no need to go to the grocery story or spend hours preparing food.

Soylent - Free Your Body

Fry the bacon in low heat. It will take longer but its better for you. Bacon has added nitrates. When nitrites are exposed to high heat, in the presence of amino acids, they can turn into compounds called nitrosamines.

There are many different types of nitrosamines and most of them are potent carcinogens.

I used to have high fat nuts with full fat yogurt and cream for breakfast:

Frukost6.jpg

Here is the recipe: LCHF-breakfast in the summer | DietDoctor.com

I take a teaspoon of greek bio full fat (10% fat) yogurt and add in generous amounts of full fat double cream (50% fat). I whip it to a good consistency.
In addition I add in 2 heaped teaspoons of cocunut fat, and whip again.

I don't add in the blueberries as I want it as low carb as possible. I don't use the exact nuts as in the recipe, but i chose nuts according to:

saturated/monounsaturated/omega 3 > omega 6 fats

So I take a cup of the mixed nuts/seeds and add it to the prepared cream.

That breakfast is really filling, and I don't feel like eating lunch.

What I am doing recently (one month so far):

Instead of that breakfast, I created my own coffee recipe. Add in 2 heaping teaspoons of cocunut fat, a piece of organic pasture butter (15-20g), pour in espresso, top it up with some hot water, stir and top up with generous amounts of full fat double cream (50% fat). Drinking this, it saves me time, I don't need to eat until lunch, and my mind is sharp.

When I surf the net, it turns out what I made is part of the recipe for bulletproof coffee, and lots of people are doing this.
In general the best way (and natural) is to neutralize nitrates by adding some other fermented foods like kefir or sauerkraut. Also every pork meat that wasn't smoked will need a few hours of bath in acidic medium like apple vinegar for example (Irish done this for hundreds of years). The reason is pork "coagulate" the blood once in the system and that is not the best option for long term well being.

Carbs are not that bad when it comes to heart and arteries disease. Fat is not that big of a problem also.

The biggest problem is a lack of methionine amino acid and proteins overall.

Effects of Dietary Proteins, Methionine and Vitamins on Plasma Lipids and Atherogenesis in Cholesterol-Fed Cockerels
By JEREMIAH STAMLER, M.D., RUTH PICK, M.D. AND LOUIS N. KATZ, M.D.
With the assistance of Mrs. D. Century and Mr. P. Johnson
Supported by grants from the National Heart Institute, TJ. S. Public Health Service (H-2276), and from the Chicago Heart Association. Received for publication February 26, 1958.
Methionine deficiency in the presence of a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet aggravates atherogenesis in the cockerel. High-protein, high-vitamin supplementation suppresses the atherogenic effect of a cholesterol-fat-containiiig diet. High-protein supplementation alone had a suppressive effect; high-vitamin supplementation had no effect. However, the combined protein and vitamin supplement was the most effective.

Effects of dietary protein and carbohydrate level on cholesterolemia and atherogenesis in cockerels on a high-fat, high-cholesterol mash. Circulation Research 6: 447, 1958.
SUMMARY
Reduction of protein intake from approximately 20 to 10 to 16 per cent, by addition of sucrose to a high-fat, high-cholesterol mash, markedly aggravated hypercholesterolemia and atherogenesis in cockerels. When protein intake was kept at the 20 per cent level by addition of soy protein to the high-sucrose, high-fat, high-cholesterol ration, intensified hypercholesterolemia and atherogenesis did not occur.

Sterol Metabolism in Monkeys. Dietary Cholesterol and Protein in Maintenance of Sterol Compensation
By GEORGE V. MANN, SC.D., M.D.
Copyright © 1961 American Heart Association
It has been established that sterol and sulfur metabolism are interrelated. A deprivation of cysteine precursors in animals fed cholesterol will lead to hypercholesteremia and atherosclerosis in monkeys and rats. It has also been shown with rats, chickens, and rabbits that the level of protein is decisive in determining the cholesteremic response to dietary cholesterol. These and other demonstrations that the level of protein is a determinant in regulating the serum level of cholesterol may reflect a critical role of cysteine in the metabolism of sterols.

Many of studies you won't find online as these days only pharma or food industry founded studies make it to the journals. The best way to do research is to get hold of studies done before 1970/80.

More precisely, it's not just a lack of proteins but, more importantly a way too small percentage of proteins in the diet in regards to quantity of fats and/or carbohydrates.

Carbs are not that bad when it comes to heart and arteries disease. Fat is not that big of a problem also.

The biggest problem is a lack of methionine amino acid and proteins overall.

Many of studies you won't find online as these days only pharma or food industry founded studies make it to the journals. The best way to do research is to get hold of studies done before 1970/80.

More precisely, it's not just a lack of proteins but, more importantly a way too small percentage of proteins in the diet in regards to quantity of fats and/or carbohydrates.

Has these kind of results been replicated in human studies? We are anatomically different to cockerels, monkeys and rats. I can't see animals studies being be used as basis for conclusion, but it can be used as grounding for more studies done on humans.

This book has become the fastest selling book in South Africa, "Real meal revolution" The professor took all the latest studies and wrote the book. It shows actual results of people following a high fat, Low carb, no sugar diet. It is incredible how many people overweight, high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension has been following this eating life style has had all the related symptoms improve or completely normalize from this way of eating. Athletes that have followed this eating plan have shown huge improvements in the endurance and results as well. There is also great recipes in the book to show the right foods we should be eating.

Don't know about any human studies, if there was intent back then (in 70's) maybe there is some small study somewhere. These days no way studies like that could be founded (why would anybody want to kill his market?). Just keep in mind that majority of present studies is done on other species also.

Looks like the image of my blood test results did not show up in my previous post, so here it is:

attachment.php

What I can say is that as well as looking and feeling physically better, my blood risk indicators are excellent also.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 112
To reap the benefits you don't need to eat meat for every meal. I do a low carb high fat lifestyle so I prefer fat over everything else. I eat meat once a day and that is the evening meal. Fat does not spike the glucose or insulin levels, while too much meat gets converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

I've been eating like this for the past 3 months. Here's what I found:

1. I don't need to snack
2. I don't get hungry and so I've started having 2 meals a day recentlly
3. I don't have energy dips, and mentally alert throughout the day. In the past I would feel like sleeping by afternoon but I don't have the urge anymore.
4. Lost 0.5-1kg. Not a lot but I was already at ideal weight anyway.

Snap !

you just need this:

ApoA-1 Milano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all the people in a village close to mine has it and no one ever had heart problems

Limone sul Garda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"
In 1979 researchers discovered that people in Limone possess a mutant form of apolipoprotein (called ApoA-1 Milano) in their blood, that induced a healthy form of high-density cholesterol, which resulted in a lowered risk of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases.
The protein has given residents of the village extreme longevity - a dozen of those living here are over the age of 100 (for c. 1,000 total inhabitants). The origin of the mutation has been traced back to a couple who lived in Limone in the 17th century."

This is interesting reading as well
The Great Cholesterol Con | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

He tries to prove that the biggest factor is STRESS and, in my opinion is doing the job. Sure, we know it's not only psychically induced stress but add to it low animal fat diet (low cholesterol, low ADEK and low in sat fats), physical stress and overeating sugars and we are getting some very nice and complex picture of genesis of heart diseases. In general, too much stress (doesn't matter where it comes from), not enough protective factors (ADEK, amino acids, sat fats) and a way too much things we can't metabolize properly in large quantities (PUFA, O-6, sugars of all sorts and chemicals from environment) and we have what we've got.

‘Nothing has changed so much in the health-care system over the past twenty-five years as the public’s perception of its own health. The change amounts to a loss of confidence in the human form. The general belief these days seems to be that the body is fundamentally flawed, subject to disintegration at any moment, always on the verge of mortal disease, always in need of continual monitoring and support by health-care professionals. This is a new phenomenon in our society.’

This is interesting reading as well
The Great Cholesterol Con | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

He tries to prove that the biggest factor is STRESS and, in my opinion is doing the job. Sure, we know it's not only psychically induced stress but add to it low animal fat diet (low cholesterol, low ADEK and low in sat fats), physical stress and overeating sugars and we are getting some very nice and complex picture of genesis of heart diseases. In general, too much stress (doesn't matter where it comes from), not enough protective factors (ADEK, amino acids, sat fats) and a way too much things we can't metabolize properly in large quantities (PUFA, O-6, sugars of all sorts and chemicals from environment) and we have what we've got.

Chronic psychological stress is associated with the body losing its ability to regulate the inflammatory response.

Chronic stress, glucocorticoid receptor resistance, inflammation, and disease risk

Inflammation is a strong marker for heart disease risk.

My glucose, cholesterol and trig markers are near perfect, but its been my intention to take a hs-CRP blood test for inflammation. A final test to take would be for homocysteine but its not as important as the others.