Systema - Russian Martial Arts

SEO Genius

Jul 8, 2011
I just started doing systema - Russian martial arts. Looks gay as, very suited for wickedfire members. Used by the elite Russian forces now coming to a video game near you...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPIJvY1gCOI&feature=share&list=UUyQDXOb4q4Usp45KdNZAXdQ"]Systema Twins. Adam and Brendon Zettler Russian Martial Art - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVdl4iqGaos&feature=share&list=UUyQDXOb4q4Usp45KdNZAXdQ"]Systema Russian Martial Art by Vladimir Vasiliev "Functioal Strikes" a lesson from camp - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6K0xO7rso"]Biomechanics of Hand to Hand Combat - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHWP_uuM_U"]Val Riazanov and Systema Ballistic Striking - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuhfD48VRGE"]Splinter Cell Blacklist | First Gameplay Demo - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AOjT0dyok"]Mikhail Ryabko. Testing the mats at the Grand Expo in Italy. Systema Russian Martial Art - YouTube[/ame]

Looks ok but you have to understand that you wont be able to attain proficiency in that style until you have the ability to refine yourself in full contact. Styles like this, also like akijujitsu, aikido, small circle JJ, hapkido are ok if you have the right mindset, but to train without a full resisting opponent you will end up in trouble when shit gets real.

To transistion to a more refined martial art where you need to manipulate wrists ect you would be well advised to train in a combat sport as it allows you to train with a fully resisting opponent.

I have done martial arts for many years, my aikido was very good when I was young, but deep down I knew it was crap for anything outside the school. several years later I was doing mma, muaythai, boxing, wrestling and BJJ. The Aikido actually started to show up in some situations, clinching while standing, moving off line of sight, how to move an opponents body through push points( the body has push points if you want to move someone, the head, shoulders, hip and knee, to a degree the ankle as well).

If you are a young person, under 30, you would do well do go balls out in Judo or Sambo. There is a quote, if your judo is good your juijitsu will be good.

But that style looks good if you want to refine yourself. But you have to have a background where you are comfortable clinching with someone who wants to fucking smash you on your head. If you dont have that, it will be cool chest punches....

Yes, I'm very comfortable with full contact, have chips in my bones to show for it. In my late 30's now and don't have the time to waste time learning an “art” form or any other sport for that matter.

My background is in judo, tae-kwon-do, hapkido and choy lee fut (kung fu) and dabbled with a few others. At the end of the day, I'm looking for the most lethal and efficient style.

Experiencing a lot of fights in the dojo and in real life have given me a gut feeling of what may and may not work. I guess I'm over the ritualized movements and techniques that don't actually apply when three guys are coming at you with baseball bats.

Systema makes sense to me. Although it is not void of technique, there are no katas, predetermined moves etc, which I find that you don't really use in a real fight where nothing is predictable. You can't stop your opponent(s) and say, “hey can you stab me this way, because that's how I've been trained to anticipate it?”

With systema, you have unlimited range and flexibility for any given situation. You have so much creativity and freedom of movement backed by strikes that carry more power than your usual ones. This is the same philosophy behind the one inch punch, now combine that with unlimited directional movement and you've got yourself something very special.

A lot of the other martial arts don't train you for real life situations where you have multiple opponents and un for-seen elements like guns, makeshift weapons etc. Most of the martial arts are combat sport – where there are rules to adhere to to get points but in real life they fall apart – take mma for example where you want to get your opponent on the ground. In real life, once you're on the ground your dead meat, not to mention, mma doesn't cater for multiple opponents. There's a reason why these martial arts are called sport. Systema takes into account your weaknesses and limitation, your previous experiences and any other styles that you may be practicing. You tailor it to suit your style and creativity. You also learn how to shoot and handle guns with stealth, what other martial art does that?

If Bruce Lee was alive today, I think he would be endorsing it as he was obsessive about efficiency and effectiveness, he was quoted as saying "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” I believe systema ticks this box perfectly.

The main thing about systema that is different from all the other martial arts is that it doesn't involve tension. All the other fighting styles involves tension+explosive power whereas the power in systema comes from being as relaxed as possible. There are many advantages to this. You don't give signals that other fighters look for, like certain twitches or buildup of tension before striking. Being relaxed lends itself to a more powerful strike – if you have ever been punched by someone that knows systema, it will make you a convert. Since you are relaxed, you can fight for a very long time without getting exhausted and also make clear headed decisions because you are so calm. We learn how to take punches and how to heal quickly as well. With krav maga, how many rounds can you go before you collapse from exhaustion, with Brazilian jujitsu how many guys can you take on at any given point in time?

They are now training the secret services in America with systema. Obama's personal security team are being trained in systema. The Russians train their elite forces the Spetnaz in systema - I don't think you can get anymore real than that.

As a style, it's probably the ugliest out there. From an observer looking in, it looks like big joke, like Cossack clowns running around bitch slapping each other. It looks weak, pathetic and slow, but get yourself to the nearest systema class and ask to spar with someone full contact and they will make you a convert. If I had the option between a beautiful looking Lamborghini with a 50cc engine or a cardboard box that has the power of a rocket, I'd take the cardboard box any day. Looks can be deceiving especially with this martial art.

For all the doubters – better you hear it from other MMA boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6vJHYmAYM

Why do systema when you can do sambo

bayman-teamninja.jpg

A lot of the other martial arts don't train you for real life situations where you have multiple opponents and un for-seen elements like guns, makeshift weapons etc. Most of the martial arts are combat sport – where there are rules to adhere to to get points but in real life they fall apart – take mma for example where you want to get your opponent on the ground. In real life, once you're on the ground your dead meat, not to mention, mma doesn't cater for multiple opponents. There's a reason why these martial arts are called sport. Systema takes into account your weaknesses and limitation, your previous experiences and any other styles that you may be practicing. You tailor it to suit your style and creativity. You also learn how to shoot and handle guns with stealth, what other martial art does that?

If Bruce Lee was alive today, I think he would be endorsing it as he was obsessive about efficiency and effectiveness, he was quoted as saying "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

The main thing about systema that is different from all the other martial arts is that it doesn't involve tension. All the other fighting styles involves tension+explosive power whereas the power in systema comes from being as relaxed as possible. There are many advantages to this. You don't give signals that other fighters look for, like certain twitches or buildup of tension before striking. Being relaxed lends itself to a more powerful strike – if you have ever been punched by someone that knows systema, it will make you a convert. Since you are relaxed, you can fight for a very long time without getting exhausted and also make clear headed decisions because you are so calm. We learn how to take punches and how to heal quickly as well. With krav maga, how many rounds can you go before you collapse from exhaustion, with Brazilian jujitsu how many guys can you take on at any given point in time?

They are now training the secret services in America with systema. Obama's personal security team are being trained in systema. The Russians train their elite forces the Spetnaz in systema - I don't think you can get anymore real than that.

As a style, it's probably the ugliest out there. From an observer looking in, it looks like big joke, like Cossack clowns running around bitch slapping each other. It looks weak, pathetic and slow, but get yourself to the nearest systema class and ask to spar with someone full contact and they will make you a convert. If I had the option between a beautiful looking Lamborghini with a 50cc engine or a cardboard box that has the power of a rocket, I'd take the cardboard box any day. Looks can be deceiving especially with this martial art.

For all the doubters – better you hear it from other MMA boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6vJHYmAYM

If you want to learn a MA for self defense you are not serious unless you learn to use a knife and gun. Man has always wielded a weapon for survival dont give into the Batman bullshit that you can learn a MA and take on multiple opponents.

As far as being relaxed while fighting, thats simply not accurate. High level Muaythai people, judo people, mma people are all relaxed while fighting for the most part. If you dont specifically train not to be tense you are doing it wrong.

As far as taking a punch, google Scott Sonnon videos. He has a series on how to absorb a blow. Its interesting but not something that can be incorporated unless you have a fully live opponent to refine it on.

Good luck and dont forget to lift bro.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Why do systema when you can do sambo
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As far as taking a punch, google Scott Sonnon videos. He has a series on how to absorb a blow. Its interesting but not something that can be incorporated unless you have a fully live opponent to refine it on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Relax boys, there's room for everyone. Here's a video with Scott Sonnon teaching combat Sambo Systema.[/FONT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANfGTzD3cUg

I'm actually a fan of Krav Maga...mainly because the classes are very much contact orientated whereas in comparison the Wing Chun (which I love and fucking rocks) isnt in my school. This causes an issue because normally the person that wins a spontaneous confrontation is the one most used to contact/violence. I've seen seriously experienced martial artists defeated because the combat happened directly in the street with no ring and no rules and spur of the moment.

Before he died, I asked the Grand Master (Jim Fung) of the school that I went to why his school didnt train for full combat...and he replied that he had tried but that most western students only lasted a few weeks in that environment.

Isn't the problem with these 'lethal' systems that you can't actually train them 100% tempo or even 10% force because kicking groins and stabbing throaths is too dangerous?

I think Sambo is probably a good allround selfdefense system or even MMA combined with some pure Thai boxing. Knees and elbows are very efficient in close range and won't leave you exposed.

Systema + Krav Maga here.
It's nothing fancy or cool like most are used to, but this shit works, absolutely works.
Self defense plus fast attack

Isn't the problem with these 'lethal' systems that you can't actually train them 100% tempo or even 10% force because kicking groins and stabbing throaths is too dangerous?

I think Sambo is probably a good allround selfdefense system or even MMA combined with some pure Thai boxing. Knees and elbows are very efficient in close range and won't leave you exposed.

Systema + Krav Maga here.
It's nothing fancy or cool like most are used to, but this shit works, absolutely works.
Self defense plus fast attack

Some of the most boring shit actually works the best. Thats why you cant put a boxer with an mma fighter in the same ring with free rules. Its the same on the street. Most people start swinging: but if you know what youre doing its very easy to take someone down thats not trained for it. That would be 99% of assholes getting drunk and thinking their bad ass.

And you dont even need to kill them with a gun. My kid will have basic MMA training when the time comes.

Well yes and no. The real problem is context and then adrenaline. A mma-er with 15 fights can be taught stuff and be good at it even though he didn't train 100% full out with it. He essentially has a higher "shit my pants" threshold then an ordinary person.

as such it is reported that people who work in trauma have a similar ability to keep their shit together in a shit hit the fan situation. So they also respond well to basic gross motor skill movements.

The key is to be able to identify your fear, harness it, shove it back into your fuckin head and use it to propel you to achieve the superhuman. Best way to do this is to spend 10 hours a week on a mat with someone, then occasionally get in a ring where you ask your opponent "do you lift bro"

Some of the most boring shit actually works the best. Thats why you cant put a boxer with an mma fighter in the same ring with free rules. Its the same on the street. Most people start swinging: but if you know what youre doing its very easy to take someone down thats not trained for it. That would be 99% of assholes getting drunk and thinking their bad ass.

And you dont even need to kill them with a gun. My kid will have basic MMA training when the time comes.

Training to take someone down in a street fight is training to get brain damage. Streetfights are almost never one on one. Taking someone down means setting yourself up to get kicked and stomped in the head.

Street fighting, if you absolutely must, is about one hard hit that puts your opponent down or out, so you have time to run away. If you can't do that, then it's about staying on your feet and being able to deliver damage in a clinch/scrap. Knee to groin, elbow to face.

But basically, if you train to streetfight, you're going to end up hurt, because real streetfights end badly. Don't confuse the ones bragging about about getting into fights with real violence on the street. Those losers are just bullys who attack someone who they know they can beat. A real fight has friends coming to help, bottles, knives, chairs and all kinds of bad stuff.

So yeah, it's good to know self defense, but it's much better to learn how to spot trouble and avoid it.

Training to take someone down in a street fight is training to get brain damage. Streetfights are almost never one on one. Taking someone down means setting yourself up to get kicked and stomped in the head.

Street fighting, if you absolutely must, is about one hard hit that puts your opponent down or out, so you have time to run away. If you can't do that, then it's about staying on your feet and being able to deliver damage in a clinch/scrap. Knee to groin, elbow to face.

But basically, if you train to streetfight, you're going to end up hurt, because real streetfights end badly. Don't confuse the ones bragging about about getting into fights with real violence on the street. Those losers are just bullys who attack someone who they know they can beat. A real fight has friends coming to help, bottles, knives, chairs and all kinds of bad stuff.

So yeah, it's good to know self defense, but it's much better to learn how to spot trouble and avoid it.

When was the last time you got into a fight?
You honestly think someone will kick you in the head during a take down attempt or a clinch. I guaarante you 99% of people have no idea whats coming when facing a training mma fighter. Even a low level fighter that trains for fun. This is the evolution of combat sports and the most useful self defense training a regular person can do. Unlike karate or boxing. There's not that many Anderson Silva's out there to kick you in the face.

Grappling for street fights is great if its 1v1 but other than that i'd agree with what you're saying. Learning to not get taken down is the only major benefit I see from grappling if its you vs more than 1 person.

All this stuff about disarming knife and gun attacks is insane. I would look to never get into a situation like that obviously but I would rather run that try a disarm technique and risk getting cut open or shot.

Training sprints would keep you a lot safer.

You honestly think someone will kick you in the head during a take down attempt or a clinch. I guaarante you 99% of people have no idea whats coming when facing a training mma fighter. Even a low level fighter that trains for fun. This is the evolution of combat sports and the most useful self defense training a regular person can do. Unlike karate or boxing. There's not that many Anderson Silva's out there to kick you in the face.

Luckily I haven't been in a fight for 6-7 years and I avoid them at all costs, but I have seen and been involved in plenty of fights, been kicked in the face and worse as a teenager. Stomping and kicking heads is common and can very real kill you. Get in, hit hard, run. That is the only tactic worth pursuing imo.

I think he was speaking more to the fact that street encounters aren't always 1v1.

You can still use trips, throws, takedowns without ever going to the ground. Getting thrown at 50% on a padded mat made for grappling still doesn't feel great. Getting thrown onto concrete and shit is going to be broke or you're out cold.

I've trained with amateur fighters and the level of ability between guys off the street and amateur fighters, even with all loses, is incredible. Totally different world.

so not only are we a bunch of faggots, we're also trained killing machines, awesome.