Swedish Pirate Party enters EU parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatballs and fish? :eek: I don't know if thats a good step towards since there is many money and jobs in the licensing (games, music...) business. And they want to make it "free for all" ... :X.

Na knukk thats normal here in Europe :p. We are all somewhat stupid. Or communists - except me for sure :D!

You do realise that the Pirate party stand for more than just being able to download commercial content yes?
Yes. I don't disapprove of absolutely everything they stand for. But all in all it's not a party I would vote for. Their disapproval of intellectual property rights is one of the major factors as to why.

Laissez-faire is the only way to go :glowingeyes_sml:

Do you guys really want to get in to this? Intellectual Property Rights = temporary monopoly = no competition. What, you don't think there would be any innovation without it? Bullshit.

I do. I think consumers should be able to steal all the music they want. If some random kid wants my record but he cant afford to spend $10 on iTunes, then of course I would want him to pirate it. I'm not Lars Ulrich.

However, when it comes to licensing, I'm not going to let MTV take one of my songs and play it during Laguna Beach or some shit without receiving a synch fee or at the very least the residual broadcast royalties.

Basically what I'm saying is I think people should have access to music (i.e., intellectual property) for free, as long as it isn't used for commercial purposes.

Do you guys really want to get in to this? Intellectual Property Rights = temporary monopoly = no competition. What, you don't think there would be any innovation without it? Bullshit.

Innovation would probably cease or decrease drastically in certain industries, like the music and movie industries and most others that produce digitally coded products; really anything based on a business model that requires exclusive reproduction rights by the producer in order to turn a profit.
Innovation might shift to other industries though. I don't know if it's predictable.

Is it an effective use of resources to commercially mass produce entertainment for profits? I can't think of a single scenario where consumers would not benefit from the abolishment of all intellectual property rights.

You think all musicians would pack up and leave? I hope so, but I don't think that's the case. Some of them may decide that they really enjoy doing what they do, and so they will perform live. You can't copy a live performance.

Everyone seems to just take it for granted that the entertainment industry needs protection and that they deserve to make obscene amounts of profits. Fuck that. The entertainment industry is a big burden on the overall wellfare of the society. And before any of you point at me and say communist I would like to say fuck you. Without inefficient industries there would only be more efficient industries. How's that for capitalism for ya?

Is it an effective use of resources to commercially mass produce entertainment for profits? I can't think of a single scenario where consumers would not benefit from the abolishment of all intellectual property rights.

You think all musicians would pack up and leave? I hope so, but I don't think that's the case. Some of them may decide that they really enjoy doing what they do, and so they will perform live. You can't copy a live performance.

There will always be live music but if everybody gets a copy of a cd for free then it's stupid to spend millions producing a cd, scouting for talent, marketing etc. So if you like live music, that's probably what you'll get, a lot more of it.

But when people start performing movies live that's really gonna suck. Like I really want to see some dickhead dressed up like the millennium falcon and some douche dressed up like an imperial fighter chasing him from behind making laser cannon noises.

LogicFlux, you mean theatre? They've been doing it for a while.

But in all seriousness, why do most people just take it for granted that the commercial entertainment industry have a right to exist in its current form? They are not creating anything of real value. The art will always be there, because it is not driven by money. Have a look back in history. At the peak of every known great civilization people wasted resources on non-productive and inefficient luxuries. Besides, it doesn't really make you any smarter listening to Eminem or whatever, so why bother? It only serves the purpose of numbing your head, which should be avoided.

Thank the lord there is something you are somewhat reasonable on.

LogicFlux, you mean theatre? They've been doing it for a while.

Yeah, it sucks.

But in all seriousness, why do most people just take it for granted that the commercial entertainment industry have a right to exist in its current form?

It doesn't have a right. I think it's more about whether we want it to exist and are willing to protect its existence with laws. A lot of people would consider a world without big budget movies a step backwards.

They are not creating anything of real value. The art will always be there, because it is not driven by money. Have a look back in history. At the peak of every known great civilization people wasted resources on non-productive and inefficient luxuries.

Besides, it doesn't really make you any smarter listening to Eminem or whatever, so why bother? It only serves the purpose of numbing your head, which should be avoided.

This is a pretty elitist attitude. You seem to be against IP laws because you think it would create a better society without crappy movies and brain numbing music. That's not a good reason to be against it.

The owner of this board and many others choose to buy a vB license instead of using free alternatives like phpBB for a reason, and it's not just support.

I don't think the movie industry is going to die at all. You're just going to see a lot fewer shitty, formulaic movies that rely on a massive A-list celebrity, expensive car stunts, and explosions. Don't get me wrong, those have their place, but give me a choice between something like Synechdoche New York and Death Race, I'm going to take the former, even though the later actually made it's production costs back and then some.
A big budget and A-list stars doesn't make for a good movie. In fact, a lot of the fat could be trimmed from Hollywood if celebs didn't take on extravegant paychecks and insist on insane "requirements" for their "participation". What Just Happened has a brilliant example with Bruce Willis.

TV certainly won't die. Shit like The Lonely Island and College Humor's OVs are proof that amusing content can be made on a low budget, made regularly, and still be of high quality, and be sustained off the back of advertising and merchandise quite effectively. The "I'm Beached Bro" whale netted the creator $25m in a single year from Tshirt sales and licensing rights (I ran into him during the Comedy Festival), and he lives the high life in QLD and NZ off the back of a single YouTube video.

Music will definitely change. You're still going to see plenty of over produced pop crap, but the "singer" won't be the celebrity so much anymore, I don't think. You're definitely going to see a lot more live music, and bands are probably going to work directly off their merchandise and concert ticket sales to make the money for their promotions. I think the smart money is on becoming a marketer for mid-sized bands, helping them create their online and offline promotions that can potentially compete with smaller label funded ones (for those that feel like working in a different field of marketing).

The content industry I see as really suffering would be video games, honestly.
They require substantially more effort and technical expertise than any of the others (especially music. Punk proves you require no knowledge of instruments to be successful) and a lot more time... But there are numerous games out there that put zero copy protection on, and merely have a splash screen saying that "if you liked the game, please remember to pay for it if you haven't already, so more can be developed".
Galactic Civilizations
springs to mind. Stardock received more in donations than they did in sales according to a friend of mine that worked at Tantalus.

Good points. And the entertainment industry is just the icing on the cake. Think about innovation. If we would abolish all IPRs then innovating companies would have to sharpen their teeth and cut all fat. An increase in profit can only come from either increased efficiency or decreased fixed cost. Besides, IPRs aren't that effective, I mean the Koreans pretty much built their country on copying, and it didn't really hurt anyone. Quite the contrary, more competition is better for consumers.

The way I see it, anyone that wouldn't survive without IPR doesn't deserve to be in business anyway, and I challenge anyone to come up with an example of something that needs protection in order to better serve the consumers. But keep it civilized. I don't want any sandbox arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.