Superwoman

Human

X
Nov 24, 2009
So my mom found out the day before I started college that she had breast cancer, bad. This was in August of 2008. They put her in emergency surgery the next morning and gave her a half mastectomy, getting rid of a huge percentage of the tumor they found.

She went into a rigorous chemotherapy routine consisting of Avastin and Abraxil (spelling may be off). She lost quite a bit of weight and started looking a little older. After two months of this, her hair began falling out, until she was eventually almost bald.

On October 22, 2008, Mom found out that the cancer had spread into her liver, lymph nodes, and bone marrow. She was in Stage IV, the most serious of terminal cancers. Here is a photo of her on the day she was given the news. The smile was faked, of course.

aXR4U.jpg

A week later, her hair started falling out at a faster pace, a result of the chemo. She had my dad give her a buzzcut:

YWfVV.jpg

And then she did the same for him.
smile.gif
Instead of giving up on life, she was determined to fight it. The chemo made her extremely weak, and very susceptible to germs and bacteria. Not a good sign when you are a fifth grade teacher.

Another worry of hers was losing her job. She is the highest paid teacher in our county at the moment, having a Master's and a National Board Ceritification (doctorate of teaching, basically). Yet she was only able to teach three days a week (Thursday for chemo and Friday for recovery). But the principal promised that she wouldn't lose her job. No job, no insurance, no chemo, no more Mom.

She kept on the chemo, and started her own organization locally to raise money for cancer research. In five months, Mom raised over $30,000 for cancer research, and donated every penny of it to the Susan Komen Foundation.

The school she taught at (very small school, under 200 kids grades K-
cool.gif
was extremely supportive, and every Tuesday was dedicated "Pink Day"

4678_97404547186_587947186_2471380_5074791_n.jpg

In October, she led the lap in Relay For Life for our area.

4678_97408942186_587947186_2471393_8232064_n.jpg

And in December of last year, after 16 months of some of the worst cancer and pain and surgeries imaginable, Mom found out that her tumors were gone. She entered remission.

She's been on maintenance chemo once every other week since then, and will probably be on it for a very long time to come, but the fact that she had beaten it was astounding.

This morning, Mom found out that she was completely cancer-free. She called me after my classes, and I haven't hear her or Dad so happy in a very, very long time. I haven't been this happy in a long time, either. Miracles can happen.
smile.gif

Human

Human, thank you for the pics and sharing, I know my folks are important to me too.

I really hope some asshole on here doesn't make a smart ass comment. This is truly one of those good stories, not some BS story that one finds on DI or WF (not this WF).

Congrats I'm happy for you.

So my mom found out the day before I started college that she had breast cancer, bad. This was in August of 2008. They put her in emergency surgery the next morning and gave her a half mastectomy, getting rid of a huge percentage of the tumor they found.

She went into a rigorous chemotherapy routine consisting of Avastin and Abraxil (spelling may be off). She lost quite a bit of weight and started looking a little older. After two months of this, her hair began falling out, until she was eventually almost bald.

On October 22, 2008, Mom found out that the cancer had spread into her liver, lymph nodes, and bone marrow. She was in Stage IV, the most serious of terminal cancers. Here is a photo of her on the day she was given the news. The smile was faked, of course.

aXR4U.jpg

A week later, her hair started falling out at a faster pace, a result of the chemo. She had my dad give her a buzzcut:

YWfVV.jpg

smile.gif
Instead of giving up on life, she was determined to fight it. The chemo made her extremely weak, and very susceptible to germs and bacteria. Not a good sign when you are a fifth grade teacher.

Another worry of hers was losing her job. She is the highest paid teacher in our county at the moment, having a Master's and a National Board Ceritification (doctorate of teaching, basically). Yet she was only able to teach three days a week (Thursday for chemo and Friday for recovery). But the principal promised that she wouldn't lose her job. No job, no insurance, no chemo, no more Mom.

She kept on the chemo, and started her own organization locally to raise money for cancer research. In five months, Mom raised over $30,000 for cancer research, and donated every penny of it to the Susan Komen Foundation.

cool.gif

4678_97404547186_587947186_2471380_5074791_n.jpg

4678_97408942186_587947186_2471393_8232064_n.jpg

And in December of last year, after 16 months of some of the worst cancer and pain and surgeries imaginable, Mom found out that her tumors were gone. She entered remission.

She's been on maintenance chemo once every other week since then, and will probably be on it for a very long time to come, but the fact that she had beaten it was astounding.

This morning, Mom found out that she was completely cancer-free. She called me after my classes, and I haven't hear her or Dad so happy in a very, very long time. I haven't been this happy in a long time, either. Miracles can happen.
smile.gif

Human

Good shit bro. It's all in your mind. My dad had a cancerous tumor that spread through 4 of his organs and they said he only had 4 months to live. This was 3 years ago and he's cancer free now. :banana_sml::banana_sml: . The funny thing is the way he found out was because he was stung by like 8 yellow jackets in the back yard and went to the hospital and the poison led them to the cancer. Now my dad loves yellow jackets and always leaves honey out for them lol

That's one awesome mom. Does your mom have a wickedfire account? I wanna + rep her.

that's amazing! I'm glad for you and your family. keep on fightin'!

and I'm quite proud of the WF response so far. Not what I expected.

Jay,

My mom was very recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. The prognosis is looking excellent once they perform the surgery to remove the thyroid. That should take all the cancer out with it.

This is such an amazing story of home and I'm really glad you shared it with us. That's a pretty bold move on wicked fire, but I can't express how much I personally appreciate it.

In absence of better, toasting this 7up to you! :frenchman:

Seriously man, that is very welcome news I imagine. I ha(d)ve a couple family members with chronic situations and it's not pretty. Must have been very tough years.. stuff like this really surprises me and all males I know though.. the endurance some women make it through!

That is awesome. My sister has been battling cancer for some time now. Though she's yet to win, the fight has been drawn out much longer then the doctors had expected. I appreciate the story. It brings hope.

Thanks for posting - is always good to hear stories like this.
My Grandad just got over this as well, for the second time.

Your Mum actually does a very convincing fake smile btw.

That's great! Nothing like hearing a great success story to make the day better!
Thanks for sharing and congrats. =)

damn man, that's GREAT. i can imagine how you guys are feeling. again: that's GREAT!

Thank you for that.

It's funny you posted this story. I found out yesterday that the mother of a friend of mine passsed away.

She was in remission for a long time. She then recently got shingles and was taken to hospital where her condition got really bad and she passed. I don't know too much about the story because it's so recent. And this woman was a really nice lady, really jolly and always about having a laugh. Such a shame.

It's really goes to show, anything can happen in life. We all spend so much time working our asses off trying to get that next buck. But we should really take time out to enjoy our friend and families as much as we can.

I personally have had a really crap relationship with my dad for years now.

But I've consciously been working at it recently, and we're ok these days. It's not easy but even being civil with others will make the world of difference to your peace of mind.

All the best for the future man.

This is what its all about. Our community here at WF and Family. Money comes and goes but your family is for life. WF really came through for me when my dad was undergoing a triple bypass. Of course that is nothing in comparison to your mother's struggles.

Wishing your family the best of luck and your mother a life free from worry and a renewed sense of hope with strong health.

-cryptix-

smile.gif

cool.gif

smile.gif

Human

Arguably the most inspiring post made here.