Starting a hotel-booking or airline-booking website, anyone tried?

most people I know do google up "cheap flights to city-name" or "cheap flights from x to x" and the funny thing is that they would try all of the results and even go to the 2nd and 3rd page of Google to make sure they can't find a better price.

Sounds like most people you know are peasants.

Tough industry bro.

You won't be able to secure direct deals with the hotels. It's just too time intensive. You will be forced to monetize via a feed or affiliate relationships. The big branded sites can afford to outbid you to acquire new customers. You can't win.

Like someone else mentioned, build a niche site around an international destination and try out various monetization methods to get your feet wet. You can start ranking for things like "what to do in vancouver", "guided tours in vancouver", etc. That long tail traffic will convert if you recommend them hotels and other products.

B1YJM.jpg

gDFae.png

BMiti.jpg

yPo2X.png

Tough industry bro.

You won't be able to secure direct deals with the hotels. It's just too time intensive. You will be forced to monetize via a feed or affiliate relationships. The big branded sites can afford to outbid you to acquire new customers. You can't win.

Like someone else mentioned, build a niche site around an international destination and try out various monetization methods to get your feet wet. You can start ranking for things like "what to do in vancouver", "guided tours in vancouver", etc. That long tail traffic will convert if you recommend them hotels and other products.

have you read my post above yours? I have no interest in setting up a travel agency and negotiating deals with hotels and airlines. I just want to be an affiliate like cheapflights.com, people use the search form on my site, and I bring them all the prices from the different sites (kayak, expedia, priceline, etc...)

you guys

listen you guys

i'm going to make a website with 1 million pixels on it you guys

and then im going to sell each pixel for $1

instant millionare you guys

you guys

listen you guys

i'm going to make a website with 1 million pixels on it you guys

and then im going to sell each pixel for $1

instant millionare you guys

lol that fucker

the other one that really impressed me is the guy that put up a picture of his cute rabbit on his website and said he would kill him and eat him if he didn't get $500k by december 31st of that year. I think he ended up with more $200k in donations.

I just want to be an affiliate like cheapflights.com, people use the search form on my site, and I bring them all the prices from the different sites (kayak, expedia, priceline, etc...)

Sounds great in theory, but how are you going to drive traffic?

The problem with comparison shopping for travel related purchases is that people are extremely brand loyal. They aren't willing to save a few bucks and buy through a site they don't know.

I personally only book shit through Expedia. Even if it's $30-$40 cheaper elsewhere I stick with Expedia since I know they are legit, and I've dealt with their customer support in the past.

Good luck through bro, haters gonna hate.

I use travel aggrevator sites a lot, and keep learning about new sites that offer unique services.

For example, Fare Compare offers very detailed charts on when it's cheapest to fly to specific destinations. There are sites that offer fare alerts when airline tickets drop to the price you want to pay.

This idea is full of hurr-durr if he has no unique spin for his site.