Star Citizen

Ah, the old days... BBC model B, a tape of Elite and many hours flying round the galaxy...

All the ships have a complex system of thrusters. It's not just the main engine.

Star Citizen - Physics - YouTube

I've read some of the comments from the programmers and apparently they do account for inertia. The dogfighting demo was back in December and keep in mind that was still a very early buggy pre-alpha demo. Also, they did some tweaks to the demo like amplifying the damage and stuff so they could show more kills faster.

Not going to lie bro, I was thorougly underwhelmed by that first video of dogfighting you posted, didn't seem fluent at all and no feeling of speed. Also the inertia didn't seem right. The engine on the back of the ship is about 50 times as powerful as the rest, just judging from size, but the ship stops on a dime and turns like a turret.

I really don't play games anymore, but a proper space sim would be a childhood dream come true. I hope it succeeds.

Are you going to be able to get out of your ships and walk around the surface of a planet or space station? This is one of my biggest problems with Eve; you're basically a ship and these is no interaction outside of that ship.

Yes. That's one of the key goals for this game, complete immersion.

Just the part that's already released, the hanger module, you can see how this works. You walk around your hanger, open doors, get in your ship and actually sit down in the cockpit. You also actually have to climb into the turrets on the ships that have manned turrets. There's a ton of player made videos up showing the hanger module and all what you can do with it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4bpfM_0fUc]Star Citizen Hangar patch 11 - YouTube[/ame]

For the larger ships you'll be able to get in your buddy's ship and either be his co-pilot, man his turrets or just hang out and fly around the 'verse with him.

I know I spent a good couple of hours just messing around taking the guns off my ship, going pew pew on the firing range in the hanger.

Not going to lie bro, I was thorougly underwhelmed by that first video of dogfighting you posted, didn't seem fluent at all and no feeling of speed. Also the inertia didn't seem right. The engine on the back of the ship is about 50 times as powerful as the rest, just judging from size, but the ship stops on a dime and turns like a turret.

I really don't play games anymore, but a proper space sim would be a childhood dream come true. I hope it succeeds.

Yeah, there's been a lot of criticism of the demo they did, which is probably why they haven't released anything new since then. All I can say is they have a whole team of programmers specifically working on the physics and the demo isn't going to be what the final game will look like.

I think the lack of 'space dust' and particle effects in the demo made it look kind of deceptive as far as the speed and some of the movements.

Nah, they're outsourcing everything from Fiverr.

Trololol. There's a difference between having people onboard who's been involved in big multiplayer games before and people who programmed Candy Crush (no disrespect).

Do they have any experienced game programmers and managers?

Yes, a lot of the devs have years of experience doing games and movies. Chris Roberts himself created the Wing Commander series among others.

They are still doing a lot of hiring too. In a recent video they said they have 4 graphics engineers, and are trying to hire 3 more, which will mean they'll have more than CryTek (makers of CryEngine).

I would imagine the near $40mil they've raised so far will attract a lot of talent. They're also running a design contest and doing a video series on it. I've watched some of the episodes and it seems to me like they're using the contest to flesh out some more talent. Some of the entries are pretty good.

Yeah, at best this is gonna turn out like Day Z, with the lead developers bailing as soon as they have a little money and a half decent product for people to get their hopes up with.

Once they get the MMO part operational it will become a massive cash cow. Like others have said, billions could be made from this game. That's enough cash to keep top talent from leaving. That and if they keep expanding and adding new content all the time like they promise, there will be plenty of work for the dev team for years to come. I don't see this game burning out after release.

Another thing, they said this game will be fully mod-able and able to run versions on private servers after full release. They've even writing modding guides to help people mod it. We can expect to see mods of the following:
Star Wars
Star Trek
Firefly
Babylon 5
etc.

Basically anything that has enough fans will probably have a full universe or at least those ships in a mod that you can play. So, even if they go bust after release, the modding community will keep this game alive for a long time afterward.

hej i was wondering, the ships you can purchase now, are they limited edition and not going to be available anymore later when the game is officially launched?

Another thing, they said this game will be fully mod-able and able to run versions on private servers after full release. They've even writing modding guides to help people mod it. We can expect to see mods of the following:
Star Wars
Star Trek
Firefly
Babylon 5
etc.

Basically anything that has enough fans will probably have a full universe or at least those ships in a mod that you can play. So, even if they go bust after release, the modding community will keep this game alive for a long time afterward.

I think that's cheesy as fuck and ultimately it only lessens the value of your own IP/lore and dilutes your player base. Plus, you're not going to see any of those mods you mention unless the license owners officially get on board.

I think that's cheesy as fuck and ultimately it only lessens the value of your own IP/lore and dilutes your player base. Plus, you're not going to see any of those mods you mention unless the license owners officially get on board.

Usually licence owners have no problem with fans/modding communities.

For example...

Diaspora - Freeware Battlestar Galactica Game - Battlestar Galactca Freespace 2 TC

The Babylon Project - A Freespace 2 Total Conversion - Our Last, Best Hope For Victory - Babylon 5 Freespace TC

Wing Commander Saga - Wingcommander Freespace TC

Voice acting aside - these are some valiant efforts and highly playable + a welcome distraction from spreadsheets / matt cutts assorted eccentricities.

hej i was wondering, the ships you can purchase now, are they limited edition and not going to be available anymore later when the game is officially launched?

From what I understand, no. You should be able to earn/steal every ship available now in-game in the future. They have mentioned that the ships available now will in the future only be available to purchase through an in-game store with in-game currency and the price of them will double.

So, like the basic crap-box starter Aurora MR (just the ship without Alpha/Beat access) costs $30 now. Which would equal some 30k in-game credits. When the game launches you'll only be able to buy it for 60k credits in-game. Or you can just grind out the credits for free if you have the time.

The ships and game packages available now are mostly a reward for people who have backed the game early and won't give any special advantage on launch aside of saving some time grinding for that ship.

Fan-made mods run on private servers won't be attached to the official game, so I don't think the license holders are going to be able to stop it. And I don't really think it lessens the game, since it's more like using the platform to build a new game with.

If it's something you don't want, you don't have to use it. It will just be there if you do want it. I probably won't be into the mods much myself, but might pop in and check out a few of the better ones.

The modding community was freaking awesome back when you were able to mod the bigger titled games. It was really shitty when games like COD killed the modding community, so I have to disagree there. Making your platform open, just opens up so many new avenues. For instance, if Half-Life kept its modding doors closed, you'd never have seen Counter Strike.

I worked in game development in the 90s and have a small interest in these things still. I'll keep this as a bookmark if nobody minds. :)

The modding community was freaking awesome back when you were able to mod the bigger titled games. It was really shitty when games like COD killed the modding community, so I have to disagree there. Making your platform open, just opens up so many new avenues. For instance, if Half-Life kept its modding doors closed, you'd never have seen Counter Strike.

Modding Half-Life and the Quake or Unreal engines is a completely different kettle of fish from modding a MMORPG like this. Did you see Blizzard offering up their WoW engine to modders? No, you didn't, because it would ultimately lead monthly subscribers away from their billion dollar a year cash cow and would only serve to fracture the community.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see if there's a modding team out there that is capable of doing anything with this beyond making the equivalent of a FPS, albeit with spaceships, out of this.

Modding Half-Life and the Quake or Unreal engines is a completely different kettle of fish from modding a MMORPG like this. Did you see Blizzard offering up their WoW engine to modders? No, you didn't, because it would ultimately lead monthly subscribers away from their billion dollar a year cash cow and would only serve to fracture the community.

Those are all beneficial things to the company, not necessarily the users. Of course I'm for the right of the company to do that, but ultimately options are the best. If the original game is the best, fine, if some team comes out with a mod that a portion of the community would rather play, awesome!

It really depends on how it's handled. Blizzard doesn't offer WOW to modders but I think people have modded it anyway and create servers of their own. On the flip side of this, from the same company interestingly enough, are games like Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 that basically facilitate mods, scripts, and customized game modes that can pretty much become a totally different game. If they facilitated this with WOW there would be no reason for spin-off private servers, think Second Life for example and just how creative people can get (even XXX creative).

I see the profit point and it makes a lot of cents. Some companies would rather make expansions and DRM and have people pay for it. Ultimately these games have a limited lifespan, maybe that's just the strategy and why COD is released pretty much every year now.

However, for companies that are starting to see outside the box and want to really build an amazing game first and foremost (and make a shit ton of money too), they're starting to figure out that if you give people tools to make their own adventure, players will go bonkers and replayability is infinite. Best case study of this is minecraft.

I think sandbox games are finally becoming a trend now and here is one MMO I am looking forward to:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXtqmOjRm8"]What is EverQuest Next: Landmark? - YouTube[/ame]

Star Citizen released a hanger patch v11.1 today. They added Oculus support for the hanger module.

If anybody here is interested in a more detailed look at the models, I'd recommend checking out some of the videos by a youtuber called AnythingFPS, watch these fullscreen in HD for the best level of detail. This guy is a CryEngine wizard. He's basically ripped the models directly from the game's hanger module, put them in the game engine and played around with them. Here's a couple of his vids.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6CFhTEA24]Star Citizen - Lets do this!!! :D - Bonfire - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0jbr6DjNo]Star Citizen - Constellation Pre Flight Checklist - YouTube[/ame]

They released a huge monthly report yesterday. I don't know if you have to be logged in or not to view it, but here's the link:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13610-Monthly-Report-February-2014

Some of the highlights:
You may find it interesting to know that as of this moment there are 212 people working on Star Citizen between the internal and external studios and contractors! More people are working on this project than most AAA console titles, and it’s definitely the largest team to work on a Space Sim.
We plan to premiere dogfighting at a special Citizens-only event just prior to PAX East. If all goes as planned, the Dogfighting Module itself will launch shortly after PAX

PAX East is in Boston from April 11-13... so, I would expect dogfighting to be released the week following PAX, unless there's a delay. That April 16th date I heard tossed around might turn out to be pretty accurate.

Here's an older vid of a work-in-progess on the star map. Just manipulating a 3D star map like this with an Oculus Rift on is going to be amazing.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cLeXj4p03k]Star Citizen Galaxy Map WiP - YouTube[/ame]