spybot cracking down on affiliate cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

It has always irked me the way that spyware detectors treat cookies, like they're some evil infestation on your computer. The first one I noticed this with years ago was Ad-Aware, which it seemed everyone I knew was using. It would pretty much report every cookie on your computer as "spyware". What a load of arse-bollocks.

Yeah I just noticed it last night when I happened to be doing landing pages for Azoogle and I ran spybot before taking a break...and there the cookie showed up. I wonder if the creator of spybot can be contacted about this.

It has always irked me the way that spyware detectors treat cookies, like they're some evil infestation on your computer. The first one I noticed this with years ago was Ad-Aware, which it seemed everyone I knew was using. It would pretty much report every cookie on your computer as "spyware". What a load of arse-bollocks.

Yep, I think they use cookies being found on the pc as a selling point to the user. The user worries about it, then buys the software.
For the most part it is rather unethical I think.

Yeah, when I first ran spybot I just hit the fix all, which I'm sure most people do. I think it screwed up my media player too.

sounds like arbitrage is a better way to go in the future :)

I disagree. The search engines are working against cpc arbitrage sites with their quality updates. and of course, affiliate sites have this whole cookie issue. I'm not naive enough to say that there is no future in those sites, just saying there are enough threats to make it a little harder in the future. But what percentage of people actually use an anti-spyware program regularly...

In my opinion the only sites that won't be having major problems in the future are large content/service sites in the SERPs that sell products directly or have a monthly subscriptions. Nothing could beat that until the internet blows up.

Is this really that big of a deal? How many people actually use S&D that would buy our stuff anyways? And what are the odds of them running S&D in between clicking our ads and purchasing something? Maybe I'm naive.

Is this really that big of a deal? How many people actually use S&D that would buy our stuff anyways? And what are the odds of them running S&D in between clicking our ads and purchasing something? Maybe I'm naive.

what about something like their immunize module - they easily could allow users option to block all cookies from recognized sites?

aw man....the immunize module could totally screw up lodging cookies.
it looks like they're going after the bigger guys like azoogle, clickbank, doubleclick first.

the other aff networks like cpae might not be on their radar screen yet.

andrew are you saying there is an effort to kill aff (cpa) networks? is cj, linkshare or another company behind this? lol

chris,
heck if i know.... i'd be promoting the guys backing it if i knew.

on the other hand, killing 'tracking cookies' could be a marketing ploy to sell more copies of anti-spyware.

all i know is if their immunize module blocks the setting of cookies and they do a $10-15 referral on a $49 license and promo it through PPC, we could be in for some tough times...

go listen to shoe's net income show at: Net Income 11/12 Affiliate Issues
[a disguised attempt to fire a ref link to shoe's blog]

they cover a number of affiliate issues this week.

yea, the last thing I would ever do is listen to shoe bloviate about anything! sounds like a bunch of worrying about nothing you can control, so a waste of time! has anyone contacted the company and asked why they are doing this and what is there actual market share? sure it is pretty low!

tks dude, i learned a new word today. "bloviate"
now to figure out wth it means....

===

lavasoft ad-aware and safer networking's spybot search and destroy are first movers in the anti-spyware market and have bigger market shares compared to the majors who focused more on anti-virus till recently, though i believe symantec and norton, plus microsoft are muscling in.

----
this is what safer networking said in my comments:

-Safer Networking - December 13, 2006 I find the wording a bit funny… where’s the “now” when Spybot-S&D detects it for more than 3 years already?
And why do you quote it as “spyware”, when Spybot-S&D tells you quite clearly (just open the description panel at the right) that those are Tracking Cookies, not Spyware?
Please also not that this is on massive user request. Whenever we tried to remove those, users were getting on our roofs complaining that other software detects those, but ours not. Funnily, it’s actually the in later comments named Adaware which started this behaviour, which misnamed Alexa, etc.
----
have no idea why he'd bring up alexa, i dont think anyone would complain abt azoogle or clickbank cookies on their machines...

whatever.

bloviate \BLOH-vee-ayt\, intransitive verb:
To speak or write at length in a pompous or boastful manner.

Was talking to a super affiliate last night, and he mentioned that the Norton anti-spam routinely kills all tracking cookies, and since users leave it to routinely do auto-scans and let it 'remedy' the situation, he's lost a number of sales that way.

anyone know about this?

once he's proven himself with the merchants on the aff networks.
he's shifted to negotiationing for higher payouts from the merchant directly,
especially when he has a large volume going and fewer of his cookies are getting stripped and hence payouts shoot up quite a bit after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.