Sitemaps? Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinSVT

Resident Post Whore
Jun 24, 2006
A lot of people saying that they are causing problems with google? Anyone have any hard evidence of this?

I used them on some sites and they currently rank the lowest of the sites I have, but that didn't use to be the case - the whole thing is improving as we speak.

kyleirwin said:
google sitemaps? or just a reg 'ol html sitemap linked from pages on the site?

That's what I'm wondering as well. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't have problems with either of them, but I've also seen people complaining about both, so you won't really know how they're working until you try them.

Yeah, there dosen't seem to be a clear cut answer either way. Do an expiment or two and report back :) .

It can't hurt.

I do Google site maps on most of my sites. If Google is offering it or asking for it, there is probably a reason. Again, it can't hurt.

mrdon said:
It can't hurt.

I do Google site maps on most of my sites. If Google is offering it or asking for it, there is probably a reason. Again, it can't hurt.

However some people seem to believe that it is damaging their rankings but google deny it, who knows..

Ive heard people complaining about a sitemap bug causing some problems in indexing. I have both html sitemaps and google sitemaps and haven't seen any indexing problems.

Michael said:
However some people seem to believe that it is damaging their rankings but google deny it, who knows..

Thats what I'm talking about... I hear rumor rumor rumor... anyone actually had it happen to them?

I added G sitemaps to one of my sites and saw nothing either way. G already had indexed all of the pages, so I guess there wasen't much to gain, but traffic from G didn't fall off either.

I had a site that just was neing ignored by Google. I added a sitemap and bank, google was ll over it.

This was a previously registered, and possibly previously banned domain, and it could have been a time thing rather than the site map. but it seems too much of a co-incidence to say it didnt help in that case

VinSVT said:
A lot of people saying that they are causing problems with google? Anyone have any hard evidence of this?
can u mention some of these persons? so maybe i can look at their site and see what the problem is. coz all this time i've had excellent result with sitemap...no complaints yet...

Charlie said:
I had a site that just was neing ignored by Google. I added a sitemap and bank, google was ll over it.

This was a previously registered, and possibly previously banned domain, and it could have been a time thing rather than the site map. but it seems too much of a co-incidence to say it didnt help in that case

Now this is useful. I have a few semi-penalized sites that I'll have to try it on...

I've looked this up and Google has a special page about this.
Google for ' Google Sitemaps ' and you should find the official link.

To keep it short, Google wants sitemaps to be in proper XML.
They have several examples on their site.
I tried submitting an xHTML sitemap and they found it invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.