SEO Tactic

Status
Not open for further replies.

xentech

NFLol.
Aug 12, 2008
Great Britain
I thought of an idea I want to employ on my new whitehat project, I'm just wondering if people think Google would be ok with this, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care but I just want some feedback.

I have the title 'Car Rentals' on a page, but I only want to rank for 'Car', the 'Rentals' part is there purely for sensical usability reasons. Poor example but you get the point.

Code:
<span class="title"><h1>Car</h1> Rentals</span>
The span causes 'Car Rentals' to all look like the same header for the user, but Google only sees 'Car' as the header.

Does/has anyone ever employed this technique?

Interesting idea. I dont know if that would work. I think the following would

<h1><strong>Car</strong> Rentals<h1>

Never really rested how effective it is.

Interesting idea. I dont know if that would work. I think the following would

<h1><strong>Car</strong> Rentals<h1>

Never really rested how effective it is.

Why would that work? The header is still 'car rentals', it completely defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I think I misunderstood you, it puts emphasis on car but you're right the title would still be car rentals. Too early in the morning for me..

xentech, what you proposed to start with, would do what you want. Just as you can link a single word within a text bracket, and that word would become the anchor.

However, while I realize this is an extremely simplified example, you will want to mix it up. It's all well and fine with 'car' as the h1, but don't use that word alone for the other h tags, as this will overdo it.

Ok, second coffee in me. This would work buts its a bit more work.
Create a graphic saying car rentals, style your H1 tag to use the graphic as the background and set text align to -9999 to move it off screen then just use car as the text.

xentech, what you proposed to start with, would do what you want. Just as you can link a single word within a text bracket, and that word would become the anchor.

However, while I realize this is an extremely simplified example, you will want to mix it up. It's all well and fine with 'car' as the h1, but don't use that word alone for the other h tags, as this will overdo it.

...Yes I know, I know it would work and I know how I can use it effectively. What I'm asking is if this is considered a kosher tactic in the eyes of Google.

I would imagine it would require much more than some onsite H1 tricks to rank for "car"... go for lots of links instead of worrying about such a relatively small thing.

I would imagine it would require much more than some onsite H1 tricks to rank for "car"... go for lots of links instead of worrying about such a relatively small thing.

Jesus christ it was just an example.

People need to start reading threads. Out of 7 responses 5 have been irrelevant/useless.

Jesus christ it was just an example.

People need to start reading threads. Out of 7 responses 5 have been irrelevant/useless.

I know of a secret way to get your sites ranked higher, its done by backlinking from other sites in your niche. No word of a lie.

Agreed. Tactics like this are short lived regardless... and you want to keep that ranking. So, optimize your site well and honestly and focus on your content and off site factors.

Agreed. Tactics like this are short lived regardless... and you want to keep that ranking. So, optimize your site well and honestly and focus on your content and off site factors.

FFS, I'm not trying to rank for anything NEARLY as competetive as 'car', I'm just asking in general. The effect of doing this will be quite small but I like to get the best SEO benefit out of all my sites.

You say optimise well and honestly, that's the whole point of me making this thread, I'm asking if Google allow this - but it seems they do.

H1 tags and <b> tags are far less emphasized in Google's equation. LSIs are the most important thing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.