Screwed BY Odesk Freelancer - Karma?

If you know his address order 10 pizzas and have them delivered to his place.

your first mistake was hiring someone from India. for anything. the more I spend on oDesk, the more I realise why poor countries are poor

If there's one thing I learned from using oDesk and Freelancer.com, it's to never pay upfront to someone from India. Even if they don't disappear, chances are they will suddenly want extra when it's time to deliver.

Don't hire Indians on Odesk/Elance/etc. I state in my elance jobs that I do not hire providers in India and Pakistan and that I will mark all bidders from these two countries as spam.

Does Odesk offer an escrow service like Elance does? Use escrow along with flat payments.

If escrow isn't available then pay in installments once each milestone you've set is complete. I imagine escrow will be available soon if it isn't already since Elance and Odesk recently merged. I've personally never used Odesk however. I've been using elance since 1999.

Strong vetting of candidates is key when you're dealing with elance/odesk. I've had to go into arbitration only once with a bad elance provider over $2,000 in escrow, and the arbitrator ruled in my favor.