Recommend me a book

boxfish

Feb 10, 2010
I'm up-to-date on my kindle reading and want something new to read.

Last book I read was 'Millionaire Fastlane' which despite the appalling title was actually rather good.

Other books I've recently read and enjoyed include:

$100 startup - Chris Gq;kerngqkeljgn
Bringing Nothing to the Party - Paul Kerr
Anything you want - Derek Sivers
Ghost in the Wires- Giorgi Janiashvili
Steve Jobs Biography

So, any recommedations?

48 Laws of Power

I am re-reading it for the 48th time today

vLt75.jpg

Thanks. Didn't really like the sound of 48 Laws of Power and I have read 4-hour work week in the past although can't remember it too well, I do have a copy lying round somewhere though.

Ended up downloading 'The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin' which has really good reviews.

Unfortunately I didn't see 'Best small penis sex techniques' before ordering but it's great you don't feel embarrassed recommending stuff like that, glad it helped you.

I never read that book since I don't need it. But I thought you would.

Kidding aside, read about Duncan Bannatyne. He has two books. I read both of them.

Unfortunately I didn't see 'Best small penis sex techniques' before ordering but it's great you don't feel embarrassed recommending stuff like that, glad it helped you.

currently reading this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Talent-Code-Greatness-Grown/dp/055380684X]Amazon.com: The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. (9780553806847): Daniel Coyle: Books[/ame]

Do none of you read for enjoyment and personal fulfillment? All these bullshit self help and gtd books? Weak.

Start with the classics of western literature, can't go wrong.

The 4 Hour Work Week if you haven't already, this is the book I read last because I felt it was too "work from homey" but it's by far the best book out of the last 10 I've read.

This book literally changed my life. I was in my parent's basement after dropping out of grad school. I NEVER considered starting a business or living an awesome life.

I had to work hard to get where I'm at but it would have never happened if it wasn't for The 4 Hour Work Week.

I don't have that much time to read anymore, but I read "Into Thin Air" a few months ago by John Krakauer. Shortly after I read "Into the Wild" which was made into a great movie. Guy has a great writing style.

Do none of you read for enjoyment and personal fulfillment? All these bullshit self help and gtd books? Weak.

Start with the classics of western literature, can't go wrong.

I'm guilty as fuck at this. For every book I read for enjoyment, I'll read fifteen for business. The last book I read for pure enjoyment was Huck Finn, enjoyed the hell out of it, but haven't looked into any of the other classics yet.

I've got another 10-15 more business books I'd like to read and then I'm going to take a long ass hiatus and binge on classics for a while.

4 hour work week. I listen to the audiobook every week. Book changed my life.

I agree with SkyFire it's not that healthy to read only business books. It was making me depressed so I mix up my activities. It also feels nice to not spend so much time online and read more often. A few months ago I didn't have the concentration to read more than a few paragraphs before I would space out and re-read the same shit 40 times and still not know what I had read.

Would recommend:

American Gods - Neil Gaimen - This book was great and I didn't find myself bored with it even though I read the later released version that added in stuff the original didn't have. Very interesting and solid ending.

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything - Extremely interesting story of reporter who trained and learned memory techniques to win memory tournaments. This is not a how-to book on how to do it but the techniques are not secret or anything just google Mnemoic memory (Loci system, linking etc). Just takes practice as the author explains but it's a cool light read.

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card - This book is awesome as shit with a great ending. Older book but classic.

The Art of Happiness - Dalai Lama - A nice fresh perspective on life when you feel a bit trapped by your own framing bias of the world.

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut - I enjoyed it but it's was a bit confusing at times and I didn't really get the message.

Fight Club - Chuck P - Saw the movie a long time ago, just now read the book and was pleased at how close the book/movie are. Made me watch the movie again and I enjoyed it a little more.

Sorta not really:

Ghost in The Wires - Kevin Mitnick - Good book but fuck does it get repetitive. Every 20 pages "blah blah blah I social engineered the dial-up numbers and passwords and installed or setup blah blah which gave me FULL ROOT PRIVILEDGES" I would say 1/3 of the book could have been cut out because the beginning, the FBI on the run part and the ending were the most entertaining.

Would not recommend:

The Key: A True Encouter - One of you on this forum recommended this but I can't remember who. This book sucks it's about some conspiracy theory dude who claims God visited him in his hotel room and explained a bunch of bullshit and he really believes it. Looked at his other books on Amazon and it's all UFO shit...lol

If I'm going to invest time into reading, I better get something out of it. Aside from entertaining my elaborate imagination, reading fiction is oftentimes no better than wasting time watching a movie; it just costs 1-2 weeks vice 1-2 hours.

I suppose there are some good reads out there beyond the self-help and educational genres. The last fiction book I read was the fourth book in the Song of Fire and Ice series, which is the story the television show The Game of Thrones is based on, and it's pretty good.

Audio books are pretty sweet for time management. I just feel like a giant geek when I'm listening to them. #guiltypleasures

A great book is The Tipping Point for those who like the social sciences. It's an entertaining collaboration of social epidemic case studies, all tied to discover "the tipping point" of when a society gives way to a new fad, trend, or common belief.