Recommend an antivirus program?

MyOwnDemon

Face Rocker
Jan 28, 2007
Iowa
www.sitestomp.com
So I've been using Avast antivirus for over a year now with no problems at all. Until... a couple days ago, I restarted my computer, and on reboot it prompted me to update the avast software to the newest version. So I did. And it fucked my computer up. Just a whole host of problems ever since. Avast was even blocking system restore for some reason.

Needless to say, I spent all day today repairing the damage caused by the latest Avast update. Apparently it has a host of confliction problems with windows, firefox, other applications, etc. It was crashing my OS, made online gaming impossible, and just giving me a huge headache. A quick google search showed me I was not alone and a lot of people were ditching avast as well because it was eating their hard drives (lol?).

I completely uninstalled it via safe mode and repaired my registry which seems to have fixed the issues I was having. Haven't had a single crash or program error since uninstalling it.

So, tell me bros. What antivirus program are you using? I need a new one. Don't care if it's paid or free. Just not avast.

Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use.

Pretty decent detection rates. Also it's free.

infoworld.com/d/security-central/microsofts-security-essentials-scores-very-good-independent-tester-990

Yeah I have malwarebytes. It showed no infections on my machine when I ran a scan.

After I removed avast, my OS isn't randomly crashing anymore, my online games are working again, and my browsers work again. I'm 100% sure it was the latest avast update causing the problems. Don't know what they did, but that shit is unstable as hell lol.

Gonna look into microsoft security essentials, thanks for the heads up guys.

I've honestly never found one that helped my computer more than harmed. Kinda a sad truth...

AVG and Malwarebytes are both useless. I've written why numerous times on this forum in numerous other AV threads. Do not entrust your computer's safety to these apps, they will not protect you.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the one that comes most recommended by security professionals I know and I use it in conjunction with Prevx for malware. This combination has never failed me (touch wood) and does not noticeably slow down my machine. As one friend said, "it takes a Russian to beat a Russian".

AVG and Malwarebytes are both useless. I've written why numerous times on this forum in numerous other AV threads. Do not entrust your computer's safety to these apps, they will not protect you.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the one that comes most recommended by security professionals I know and I use it in conjunction with Prevx for malware. This combination has never failed me (touch wood) and does not noticeably slow down my machine. As one friend said, "it takes a Russian to beat a Russian".

Kaspersky is hands down the best anti-bad-stuff software available right now. Even stomps all over NOD32 which is one of the better ones out there.

AVG is the biggest piece of shit on the planet, followed very closely by Avira and Malwarebytes. Don't trust anything thats free.

I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (not the consumer version). I try to be sensible on what I click on and download, which is what most AVs won't protect you against.

There really isn't that big of a difference between paid antivirus programs. Kaspersky, nod32, McAfee, Trend Micro, etc. are all pretty much the same. I'm using Kaspersky right now and it has done a fine job for me. However using common sense is by far what matters most.

I am using Eset smart security. It's very light, easy to work with, does not have any frightening voice like Avast.