Questions about Selling A Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

Nov 10, 2006
NY
I think I am going to sell one of my sites, but I have a few noob questions as I have never actually done this before.

1. When you sell a site is there any paperwork signed, or any type of agreement that must be made? Or are websites just sold "as-is". (I'm guessing the site will go for around 10k if this makes any difference from a legal perspective.)

2 a. What method of payment do you like to accept? (I refuse to use paypal for this)

2 b. How do you prevent getting screwed from them cancelling payment after you transfer ownership?

1. Depends on the sale. If it's only for a couple hundred / or even maybe a thousand bucks, then No. If you are selling something that is worth tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars, then I would imagine "Yes".

2 a. If you don't like PayPal, ask for a money order, cashiers check or wire transfer.

2 b. If the buyer does any of the above, you have their money and they can't get it back.

How hard is it to sell a site? Is there really a decent market out there for sites with content, google rank and 100 to 200 unique visitors a day? I got several of these, easy enough to make, but are they easy to sell? What kind of price?

How hard is it to sell a site? Is there really a decent market out there for sites with content, google rank and 100 to 200 unique visitors a day? I got several of these, easy enough to make, but are they easy to sell? What kind of price?
Price is hard to determine without seeing the site and without revenue details.
But yes you can sell these! Goto Digitalpoint, sell it there, they will buy anything!

Also SEDO offers a marketplace for sites

You can use sitepoint.com/marketplace/ to sell sites. From what I've seen they usually go for 10-12 months revenue.

I wouldn't think that you need any signed documentation for a simple website exchange. If it were an e-commerce site, for example, and you are including additional items such as inventory, contacts with your suppliers, etc. or consultation services to teach the new owner all about the business, then I would probably do a contract.

Payment can be whatever you specify. If it's a large amount I would do a bank wire transfer or a cashier's check and make sure the cashier's check is valid prior to doing the transfer. You could also use an escrow service.

Status
Not open for further replies.