Places to live like a peasant?

I'm only intending on being in one place for between 1 and 3-4 months. I'll be on tourist visas and just "living" there till i feel it's time to move on.

I don't plan on leasing a car or accruing belongings. Just put my laptop on a desk, clothes on hangers, go buy some plants and just work out of the apartment for a while till I've had enough. I'll be hitting the gym in the afternoons, maybe take some classes in the evenings, go for a drink every now and then.

This seems incredibly disruptive to work, having to move every 1 to 3 months would kill my productivity.

I'm only intending on being in one place for between 1 and 3-4 months. I'll be on tourist visas and just "living" there till i feel it's time to move on.

I don't plan on leasing a car or accruing belongings. Just put my laptop on a desk, clothes on hangers, go buy some plants and just work out of the apartment for a while till I've had enough. I'll be hitting the gym in the afternoons, maybe take some classes in the evenings, go for a drink every now and then.

This can be a massive pain in the ass to do in some countries, especially if you're on a budget. Consider:

Long lets vs short lets. In most places renting for six months or more will get you a huge discount.

Internet connection. Most providers will want you to sign up for a 12-24 month contract or pay ridiculous prices for pay n go plans.

What is your budget anyways?

This seems incredibly disruptive to work, having to move every 1 to 3 months would kill my productivity.

I think it depends on what type of business you run, if you have employees and all that. I just moved about a week ago and my productivity has skyrocketed + I'm working a lot less now.

I stayed in Goa for 6 months a year ago when i was doing a paid internship at a startup there. You should check that place out. You will love the place if you're into beaches, babes from all over the world and parties every night. Its cheaper than any place i've been to. I stayed in a one bedroom cabin that was constructed behind a house. It was owned by a nice Portugese-Indian lady who rents out these cabins to tourists. She used to make breakfast and dinner for all the people who rents the place. You get to meet more people there as well. Everybody there knows English, the locals included.

The place was very cheap. I paid $10 a day for 3 months and $7 a day for the next 3. Her rent changes with the season there. Really good seafood and cheap liquor. I used to get 2 beers for under a dollar. They have parties every night there with world renowned DJs during the peak season. Its a major distraction, but its fuck fun as well. I rented a motorcycle there, $3 a day. Commute is very cheap. She had a bad connection there, so i offered to upgrade the speeds and pay for the next 6 months, bought a router, set up WiFi and it was all good. She was telling me that the entire state would be WiFi enabled soon, so i guess its there now. September to March is the best time to go there. After that the rains become a major pain.

Not sure why exactly? I can understand that new surroundings etc can occupy your mind, but I've done it before and faired OK. I guess if you treat it as a holiday/vacation it would be different. I wont be partying every day, just living day to day as normal, maybe a week of fun between moves.

I stayed in Goa for 6 months a year ago when i was doing a paid internship at a startup there. You should check that place out. You will love the place if you're into beaches, babes from all over the world and parties every night. Its cheaper than any place i've been to. I stayed in a one bedroom cabin that was constructed behind a house. It was owned by a nice Portugese-Indian lady who rents out these cabins to tourists. She used to make breakfast and dinner for all the people who rents the place. You get to meet more people there as well. Everybody there knows English, the locals included.

The place was very cheap. I paid $10 a day for 3 months and $7 a day for the next 3. Her rent changes with the season there. Really good seafood and cheap liquor. I used to get 2 beers for under a dollar. They have parties every night there with world renowned DJs during the peak season. Its a major distraction, but its fuck fun as well. I rented a motorcycle there, $3 a day. Commute is very cheap. She had a bad connection there, so i offered to upgrade the speeds and pay for the next 6 months, bought a router, set up WiFi and it was all good. She was telling me that the entire state would be WiFi enabled soon, so i guess its there now. September to March is the best time to go there. After that the rains become a major pain.

This is what I'm talking about :)

Not sure why exactly? I can understand that new surroundings etc can occupy your mind, but I've done it before and faired OK. I guess if you treat it as a holiday/vacation it would be different. I wont be partying every day, just living day to day as normal, maybe a week of fun between moves.

Just seems like a hassle, book flights, find a house/room, get setup, find where the local food vendors are, etc, etc. And do that every 3 months.

But different strokes I guess, I would get tired of the work required just to move.

Stayed in Goa 2 weeks as well. Food, booze, partying and people = great. Internet and the bathrooms of those 20 bucks a night beach houses gave me cancer. The only good wifi I found in Goa was in the south in one bar and it was impossible to get any shit done ($1 Gin Tonic and hot bikini chicks all day long).

Oh and if you're into drugs, the north of Goa will be your paradise.

Just seems like a hassle, book flights, find a house/room, get setup, find where the local food vendors are, etc, etc. And do that every 3 months.

But different strokes I guess, I would get tired of the work required just to move.

Fair enough, to me that isn't a hassle, just a day or two of minor inconvenience and a little adventure :p

I've done it before, and it's not too bad. Just have to stay in serviced apartments that have internet and everything already there.

The most tiring part I found was constantly being treated like a tourist just off the plane every time you moved. When you settle yourself in somewhere, you get to know some people, your way around, locals recognize you, etc. Then before you know it you're no longer being treated like a tourist, and everything in life magically seems to work much smoother.

The most tiring part I found was constantly being treated like a tourist just off the plane every time you moved. When you settle yourself in somewhere, you get to know some people, your way around, locals recognize you, etc. Then before you know it you're no longer being treated like a tourist, and everything in life magically seems to work much smoother.

This pretty much sums up the negatives for me.

Stayed in Goa 2 weeks as well. Food, booze, partying and people = great. Internet and the bathrooms of those 20 bucks a night beach houses gave me cancer.

This. I visited many places before i found the one i stayed in. Most of them were horrible. But if you take a little bit of effort, you'll find a few good ones. I didn't want to let this out, but yes the drug scene is insane there. Almost every street has someone who sells something or the other.

Well, if my family comes on the forum and wonders if anyone has seen me, this is where I may have my mid life crisis at. I have never even heard of Goa and have traveled around the world. But it is now on my bucket list...

If your first motto is to save money then shift to some pilgrim city (Dwarka) here in India.

• You will get cheap accommodation ... (may be $60 for one month with electricity)

• You will get cheap Food ... ($100 - $120/ month for breakfast, lunch and dinner)

• Good connectivity as Internet war is going on here in India ... and every company is trying to give best service in cheap price. ($30 - $50 for one month)
Enjoy the weather and see the Indian culture ...

Well, if my family comes on the forum and wonders if anyone has seen me, this is where I may have my mid life crisis at. I have never even heard of Goa and have traveled around the world. But it is now on my bucket list...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFyBoMjFGbs]Sunburn Goa 2012 | Official After Movie - YouTube[/ame]

I went for this one while i was there. What you see, isn't close to what you'd imagine it to be.

I'm in Costa Rica. I think a lot of people would be shocked at just how expensive it can be here. If anyone has any questions feel free to pm them or post them.

Thailand is a fairly good choice, allthough it all depends on what kind of mongering retard you are. If you're the kind who can't say no pussy and booze then you'll be broke and on your way home in no time. At your budget I wouldn't stay in Bangkok as it gets increasingly more expensive unless you wan to live like on of those peasent english teachers who have a lower living standard than most Bangkokians. Chiang Mai is much cheaper and has a decent enough city life allthough nothing like Bangkok. Plus the girls up there are light skinned and pretty, not the typical rice farmer brown ones.

Hit up Macedonia. Around the same price and maybe even cheaper than chiang mai, easy access to the rest of europe and decent infrastructure/stable internet. I like it better than bulgaria. I'm yet to meet a person who doesn't speak english

Wait until you move out of your parents basement and start incurring some big boy expenses. My monthly house and car payments alone are more than double that.

LOL, car payments are for peasants

I lived in the north of Thailand for about 8 months (Chiang Mai) probably about 7 years ago. Back then I had a nice appartment with internet and bills included for around $800/month. Even back then the internet connection was OK. I was only really uploading code etc and it was fine. I dont remember it going down for any length of time. Living expenses were cheap too. I dont know how people are blowing all this cash out there. If you like Thai food there is no reason to do much cooking yourself and its cheap (i'm not talking eating at street stalls either although i'm quite happy to do it). Visa runs in the north are easy, just a bus trip to Laos.

I wouldnt recomend Goa. Ive been several times and each time I went back it seemed to have got worse. Its OK if you like getting off your face and partying all night but there is an undercurrent which I didnt like. Wealthy youngsters come from all over India for a break and like to start trouble w ith tourists. Security are often too scared of them to get involved so you are on your own. I was hit in the face with a bottle for dancing with a local girl then when i kicked off security just watched and wouldnt get involved. Locals also feel its OK to touch up foreign women. There are also a lot of junkies and thieves everywhere.