Office chairs: Herman Miller "Aeron" or Steelcase "Leap"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronLogik

borrowed ladder
Nov 23, 2007
I'm in the market for a proper home office chair, and after doing some research, these two chairs seem to be the most popular choices in terms of value vs. overall comfort. Has anyone here owned one of these two chairs or had any experience with either?

Aeron:
Herman Miller - for Business - Aeron Chairs
P_AER_L122.jpg

Leap:
Steelcase - Leap®
eb8269fd33aeecaac8e0ac9c703f943f.jpg

I've owned neither, but by the looks of it the second one there appears to be more comfortable.

The aeron is fucking expensive.
I got a chep copy from IKEA and love the netting at the back, especially in the summer.

::emp::

Got the first one. Very comfortable but everytime I think about it I regret the price I paid for! 1200$ for a damn chair!
I had too much money in that time...

The one that doesn't represent Dot Com Era excess and eventual downfall.

I have an Aeron, and it is comfortable even after 12-15 hours sitting on my ass. I can't recommend it enough.

The Herman Miller is amazing... don't own one, but I did a shadowing at an agency that had them... it's literally like... a mesh that you float on.. it's so comfortable, good back support, tilt, everything. That's my dream chair, but I don't feel like shelling out that much, especially when a $40 one does just fine...

I've used an Aeron chair for several years for 8+ hours a day. Definitely a quality chair and very comfortable. They have several sizes depending on your body type so make sure you get the right one.

Aeron vs. Leap: the winner is...

Well, actually, neither one won so far...

I had the Herman Miller in my office for two years or so and found it very comfortable - so much so, that I was looking to buy one for my home office. I then found out about the Steelcase and somewhere found some reviews that said it was more comfortable than the HM...

Well, to make a short story longer, I run a Favorite Search on eBay for both varieties, and I have seen quite a few new ones sell for under $650 or so. Used ones are cheaper, depending, of course, on condition. If you are looking to buy one, give eBay a shot.

Before you plunk down any cash, check out the manufacturers' websites for the chairs. They do come in different sizes, as well as a variety of fabric, mesh, and frame colors. Purple, even... :)

Aeron all the way, I had 4 chairs before I got an Aeron and had nothing but problems with them. I've had no problems since I got my Aeron 2 years ago. Look around on Ebay, you can get slightly used ones for more than half off.

Thanks for all the feedback.

For all you with Aerons, can you comment on whether you've experienced the version with lumber support, or with the Posturefit system? Like lnissen mentioned, eBay has some pretty good deals, but like with anything, the prices vary based on the little extras.

I wish my Aeron got something like a head support or something to strap my head on! :D
The back is ok even after 10 hours, the problem is the neck and head. I always tend to bend my head forward.

Bought an Aeron a few years back on eBay for about $700 shipped after using them for a couple years at my prevous job. I won't sit in anything else for 12+ hours a day...

It's definitely worth it as an investment in your back, and for comfort. Google "swamp ass". Normal chairs retain heat. Just be careful when you pass gas; you can't count on a cushion to muffle the noise.. and smell..

I bought a $169 knock off of the Aeron from Staples. The lumbar support and mesh backing are WAY cool (pun intended). I also like how adjustable it is. I use mine for PC work but also practicing guitar so having the ability to slide the arm rests completely out of the way is cool.

I also use a table rather than a desk to put all my monitors and shit on and the easy adjustment makes it great for moving around my office.

I've never owned the actual Aeron, but I gotta say, my next chair will probably be one because I fucking LOVE the knockoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.