New FB click fraud?

ThatSwissIMGuy

New member
Jun 17, 2009
626
3
0
Heads up to all FB guys: I just got REALLY weird traffic about 1h ago.

Here's what happened: I just started a new campaign this afternoon and it did nicely from about 10.15am until 1.15pm. I got a steady and reasonable stream of traffic, all the right geo location and the usual mix of App vs. regular traffic.

At 1.15pm I got incredible amounts of traffic within minutes and not just that but nearly all of it was from non-US IP's although my ad targets only the US. CTR went WAY down and my cost went crazy as I was buidding CPM. 0 conversions on top of all that. Probably close to 90% App traffic.

I had only 2 active ads and the demo for both of them is under 50'000 people and I got close to 1 Million impressions withing less then half an hour.

I just e-mailed FB about it but I stopped all my campaigns. Keep your eyes out for similar problems my guess is it was a bot that hit my ads hard.
 


Im lost.

Check all your ads and make sure the targeting is correct. Im sure FB will refund you for the traffic if it is not from your target.
 
sometimes their system fucks up and they will send you a LOT more traffic than makes sense on your daily budget cap... it's just a bug and happens every now and then and will go back to normal pretty quickly. I have never had them actually charge me for those impressions.
 
I doubt that it's either one of those. The targeting is correct and it is a very narrow demo with keywords so even if they messed up and allowed all countries instead of just US, there still is no way it could have gotten that much traffic so quickly.

The CTR went down from 0.08 to 0.03 so if the ad would have been shown in random countries all over the world, there is no way the CTR would have stayed that "high".
 
Hello Swiss, something similar is happening to me. Will post more if I figure it out.
 
It could have been FB reviewing active ads, cuz I just got some old ads that I had approved over a year ago disapproved.

Maybe they're related, maybe not.
 
This same thing happened to me today. Had to pause campaigns and contact FB for the amount spent. Luckily I caught on to this on time.
 
^^ I still don't understand - I'm sorry I can be a bit slow sometimes. What clicks where they charging you for if you bid CPM?

You issue seems to be more about "fraud impressions" then clicks correct? The million+ impressions in half an hour in a small demo was the problem it right?
 
Total clicks was over 700, I wouldn't be posting if the results weren't significant.

Just wanted to give people a heads up. If you aren't happy with that, too bad.

700 clicks at .08 CTR = 875k impressions and then you got a million impressions and thought it was an incredible amount of traffic?

If you were doing a 50k demo and you got 875k impressions, you need new pictures and it would be expected for your CTR to dramatically decrease as a HUGE portion of your demo probably has already seen your ad a time or two.
 
700 clicks at .08 CTR = 875k impressions and then you got a million impressions and thought it was an incredible amount of traffic?

If you were doing a 50k demo and you got 875k impressions, you need new pictures and it would be expected for your CTR to dramatically decrease as a HUGE portion of your demo probably has already seen your ad a time or two.

are you sure thats 875k?