Namecheap - MoveYourDomainDay is January 27

DewChugr

Photoshop God
Jun 26, 2006
48.655139,-119.644032
Namecheap is all about a free and open internet. If you care about your online privacy rights and are against internet censorship, please join us for the fourth annual MoveYourDomainDay on January 27. We launched this initiative to fight SOPA, a bill that would have introduced censorship on the web. MoveYourDomainDay began on December 29th, 2011, when Namecheap and Reddit users teamed up to spark a mass exodus from registrars and hosting companies that were pro-SOPA. Every year since then, Namecheap has hosted an annual MoveYourDomainDay, raising funds for the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

On MoveYourDomainDay 2015, you can transfer your .com, .net, .biz, .org or .info domain for only $3.98 (plus $0.18 ICANN fee where applicable), using coupon code NC15MYDD. When you transfer, we'll add another year to your domain free. Any shared hosting package (Value, Professional or Ultimate) will be 50% off when you use coupon code MYDDHOST15. This means our Value Hosting plan is just $4.94 for the first year.

For every domain transferred or hosting plan purchased, up to 10,000, Namecheap will donate $0.50 to EFF. The donation amount goes up to $1.00 per domain/hosting plan if we exceed 10,000. And if we exceed 20,000 domains transferred/hosting plans purchased, Namecheap will donate $1.50 for each product purchased.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading non-profit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, the EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation.

Hmmm not a fan of Name cheap myself. I used them for a long time and had some issues. However, I have to admit this is very tempting and quite a clever marketing technique. I do miss many aspects of Namecheap's system, such as the ability to use Paypal. GoDaddy allows it but not for the really good promo codes.

shame they are expensive for renewals.

If you've got a lot of domains, and get on GoDaddy's domain club thing, their prices beat the shit out of anyone else. The only thing Namecheap has going for it is cheap WhoIs protection. Their names aren't that cheap.

With GoDaddy, .com renewals are $8.49, and .net $7.99, plus ICANN's 18 cents or whatever.

Personally, I like Namecheap. I don't know about the price comparisons, because I'm an idiot who doesn't look at prices, but I like them. Quick, efficient, easy to get around interface, plus they accept bitcoin. They get my business.

I dislike GoDaddy due to their constant marketing gimmicks, pop ups, integrated upsells on the checkout pages, etc. Pisses me off, as if they're treating me like a lamb at the slaughter house. Fuck 'em, my money goes elsewhere.

I dislike GoDaddy due to their constant marketing gimmicks, pop ups, integrated upsells on the checkout pages, etc. Pisses me off, as if they're treating me like a lamb at the slaughter house. Fuck 'em, my money goes elsewhere.

Marketers bitching about getting marketed too always makes me lulz.

It's really not that bad. You get ONE upsell at the checkout. Boohoo.

shame they are expensive for renewals.

$39.95

2014-07-21_2044.png

Who gives a shit if they are 1/4 the price on renewals. When you own 200 domains, that shit starts getting pricey.

$39.95

Who gives a shit if they are 1/4 the price on renewals. When you own 200 domains, that shit starts getting pricey.

Namecheap is not $39.95. I just checked, $10.78/year for .com renewals.

What's GoDaddy? They're about the same, aren't they? Again, I only have a handful of domains, so price doesn't really matter to me. As long as it's around the rest of the competition, I'm happy. For you guys with hundreds though, it definitely matters -- even a simple $0.20 adds up.

Marketers bitching about getting marketed too always makes me lulz.

It's really not that bad. You get ONE upsell at the checkout. Boohoo.

It's not the technicalities of the checkout process, but the principle of it. When I login to Namecheap, it's obvious they've designed their system for my ease of use. When I login to GoDaddy, it's obvious they think I'm a 6 year old with shiny object syndrome. I'm sure that works well for them with a lot of people out there, but it's a huge turn off for me.

Namecheap is not $39.95. I just checked, $10.78/year for .com renewals.

What's GoDaddy?

With GoDaddy, .com renewals are $8.49, and .net $7.99, plus ICANN's 18 cents or whatever.

So I pay $8.67 for a .com renewal. You can achieve this pricing by joining their domain club for $80 a year, or with coupons that are always available. I pay the domain club fee, simply so I don't have to spend time hunting down those coupons each month when domains renew. I save more than a $1000 a year with GoDaddy.

I have no problems whatsoever with their interface or checkout and their customer support has always been excellent (keeping in mind of course once you have a couple hundred domains you get an exec account manager assigned to you that you can call directly). There's one upsell in the checkout process usually and it's not hard to hit the "no thanks" button and then click checkout, which is an automated process if they have your payment details on record.

Domain renewals can also just be automated if you turn that on, so you never even have to visit the site except for new purchases or to make DNS changes. I can also just email my list of purchases or renewals to my manager and he will process them for me.

Now I understand that some people don't like GoDaddy for their political stance, and for the stupid shit they do sometimes, and that's fine. But I think their website and domain management tools are great, and their customer support has always been excellent, for me at least, so I never understand when people complain about those things.

I moved to namecheap simply because I got the shits with the way godaddy has (had) delays when creating the private nameservers and then applying them to the domain. Also had cases where DNS just wasn't applying. Godaddy is cheaper but Namecheap has been pain free.

If you've got a lot of domains, and get on GoDaddy's domain club thing, their prices beat the shit out of anyone else. The only thing Namecheap has going for it is cheap WhoIs protection. Their names aren't that cheap.

Not bad, although internet.bs is only $0.50 more for .com renewals, and $0.80 more for .net. Depends how many domains you've got (they do have an option that's discounted to Godaddy levels, but that's for 2k+ domains), but the private Whois/all the things that come with it not being Godaddy are worth it for me. If you've got less than 250 domains, then internet.bs will work out cheaper (excluding the benefit of Godaddy domain auctions), based on the pricing here of £6.99 a month for discount domain club. I guess you could align your renewal dates and just subscribe to it for a month each year though.

+1 for internetbs, I've used them for years, but unfortunately they recently got sold to centralnic (they are the ones responsible for those shitty .us.com uk.com etc "domains").

Pricing is good, I think the best when taking into account privacy, and the admin panel is probably the most functional out there. Can do a lot of bulk operations with domains, like change nameservers, or if using theirs, you can make bulk changes to email forwarding etc.

I've not looked at the panel in godaddy recently, maybe you can do all that now.

Namecheaps panel is god damn awful, though.

I use Godaddy only if i need to buy something on their auctions. But then i always transfer these domains to Namecheap, Internet.bc, Dynadot.

Godaddy is 2x the price of others if you count the cost of privacy, which is a must for any serious seo... we like namesilo the best and stay far far away from any godaddy products. Been shit on by them in the past and now can not be trusted.

Am I the only NameSilo whore in here? Flat $8.99(+ICANN) a year with free Whois privacy, $8.39 for bulk. I still use sites with coupons for flipping, but all my long term domains are through NameSilo.

Those feels when i found an expired domain with 27 educational and 7 governmental referring domains. And I bought it using internetbs because of this thread.

I mainly use Namecheap because of the free whois privacy. Godaddy are money grabbing idiots. I only use them for auctions. Their whois privacy is a rippoff and I'm not even able to make a fake profile for purchasing domains from auction.

So the registrars with free whois are:
Namecheap
Internetbs
Namesilo

Any others? Need to spread the registration around to take care of *** f********s.