My iPad just left China

kingfish

Champion of Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
On it's epic 5 day journey to my grips.

SHENZHEN, CN 03/29/2010 11:11 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN
ipad.jpg

Doesn't Apple usually have long delays when shipping out new products? Hope that isn't the case this time. Let us know what you think and take some pictures.

I dunno I preordered the first day you could and its supposed to be arriving on the release day April 3rd.

i wish apple would fucking update the macbook pros. I've been making the mistake of waiting for 6 months now.

i wish apple would fucking update the macbook pros. I've been making the mistake of waiting for 6 months now.

This. Mine died just after ASW (logicboard crapped out, 2 years old so SOL for warranty etc), and have been waiting for the new ones to come out ever since.

Fucking sucks having to sit at my desk every time I want to check something out (specially in the evening). iPhone just doesn't cut it either.

I just find it funny that they went back to using a non-removable battery in the macbook pro (I think just the 17" for now).

all macbook pros have non removable batteries, they started with the 17", then converted the rest in june of 09...supposedly it uses less space, and they can make the computer smaller / batter bigger...and the batter is not hard to swap. it's like 10 screws or something simple...

I can't think of a single thing that the ipad would be good for. It fails as an e-book reader because it uses an lcd screen, which would be the same as just getting a netbook and reading books on there (which would be awful). If you've ever tried to watch a movie on an ipod touch or iphone you know how awful it is to prop that piece of shit up in front of you. It comes with a stand I guess, but if you have to carry a fucking stand around with you, why not just get a netbook that has a built in stand, otherwise known as the keyboard. It can't run flash, so web browsing is pretty much out of the question for anything reasonable. Has no camera, which would be my only reason to get one for being able to do video chat anywhere. It can't run normal computer applications, even though it is the same size as other devices that can do so (netbooks). You're locked into the app store, which is a fucking nightmare as well. No card reader, no anything really.

What exactly is the benefit to owning one of these over a netbook that costs half as much and is at least twice as powerful?

I can't think of a single thing that the ipad would be good for. It fails as an e-book reader because it uses an lcd screen, which would be the same as just getting a netbook and reading books on there (which would be awful). If you've ever tried to watch a movie on an ipod touch or iphone you know how awful it is to prop that piece of shit up in front of you. It comes with a stand I guess, but if you have to carry a fucking stand around with you, why not just get a netbook that has a built in stand, otherwise known as the keyboard. It can't run flash, so web browsing is pretty much out of the question for anything reasonable. Has no camera, which would be my only reason to get one for being able to do video chat anywhere. It can't run normal computer applications, even though it is the same size as other devices that can do so (netbooks). You're locked into the app store, which is a fucking nightmare as well. No card reader, no anything really.

What exactly is the benefit to owning one of these over a netbook that costs half as much and is at least twice as powerful?

multitouch touch screen...that's about it.

I think of it more as a jack of all trades. It can do most of the stuff you mentioned reasonably well but nothing perfectly. So I expect I can do lots of lightweight stuff and if I need something specific or whatever I'll walk over to my computer or power up my actual laptop. Also there are lots of useful apps on the app store and the games are actually pretty good. I expect a lot of cool stuff to be made for the ipad.

We'll see though it may be a piece of shit then I'll get an HP Slate once they come out.