Most Valuable Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterX

Jun 25, 2006
What is the most valuable lesson you've learned while working in Internet Marketing ?!

I've learned that it's really easy to start a dozen of projects at once and just get burned out, but much wiser to focus on one thing until it's finished and just then moving onto another...

Finishing what you start. Making a plan and sticking to it.

My background is in development, so whenever I get a new idea I tend to want to run with it right away, since at that point I tend to be on the boring part of the current project.

Do what you enjoy and stick with it. And be tireless with improving, updating, tweaking, and testing on your sites.

Disregard everything that isn't important and try to keep yourself motivated.
If you lose motivation then you'll never get anything finished.

3 awesome points here by the others

1. dont lose motivation
2. dont waste useless ppc campaigns on expensive keywords
3. finish what you start

nice guys :)

Definitely agree on not losing motivation. Good things take time. I'm sure some people make it big quickly, but I think most sites take a while to start making solid money.

First walk, then run. In the words of Nietzsche:

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying."

I've tried to jump over some steps many times and it never did me any good...

my rules

My 10 Commandments
1) Stay focused move forward one step at a time.

2) Make a clear plan that is not to hard to follow.

3) Do not get discouraged when you fall back two or three steps.

4) Learn something new, make a long and short term plan take 1 hour per day learning 30min on short and long term

5) Calculate your risks, use data to your advantage. learn from your mistakes.

6) Do not be afraid of making mistakes.

7) Relies when to take a step or two back to get 3 steps ahead

8) Time management, plan your week, month and year end goals. learn what a 5 year plan is and how to write a realistic plan.

9) Follow up, make a daily, weekly and monthly check list.

10) Discipline Surf management, we all get bored ? learn to look at forums while you work not wasting to much time think about the time posting and reading? yes you are learning while you do this but as well you are losing time break up the day and allow times for surfing.

10) Discipline Surf management, we all get bored ? learn to look at forums while you work not wasting to much time think about the time posting and reading? yes you are learning while you do this but as well you are losing time break up the day and allow times for surfing. ________

This one's tough for me, I really have to watch myself.

Here's a few that REALLY HELPED ME grow one of my companies from a one man operation to 45+ employees and growing:

1) Do NOT be afraid to start small -- Giant companies are built one experience, one satisfied customer, one solved problem at a time. Many people have this "Get Rich Quick" and "Something for Nothing" mentality. If you have those notions, lose them... QUICKLY. While things may be small when you're building, things happen for a reason and it's your JOB to maximize your personal education from each experience and from each project.

2) It may take Money to make money but TIME is also money -- Not all of us can start off with $$$$ in venture funding. Indeed, sometimes having too much seed capital ends up with the company members feeling pampered and just friterring the cash away. I ought to know, I used to work for a venture capital firm in the Dotcom Mania of late 90's. The firm I word for funded several companies millions of dollars. All of them have gone belly up. I didn't want to repeat the same mistakes for my own personal ventures. Initially, I started 2 companies: 1 with $2000 in 1998 and 1 with $4000+ in 2003. My 1998 academic services company now makes $85 to $120K a year CONSISTENTLY since 1998. My second company is now at over 45+ employees. How did I do it? By realizing that some types of companies need FOCUS and TIME more than CAPITAL. By pleasing our customers and giving them what they wanted, we were able to turn the time we used in finetuning our services into a reliable asset which enhances customer value. Hence, we've turned time into MONEY. We were able to charge less and do stuff for free initially. This later paid off in the form of enhanced customer value which resulted in a loyal client base and high client value (they spend less but get more--our company is more efficient and makes more money even at lower rates). It is not QUICK nor is it EASY. But it can be done. Don't ever think you don't have enough money. If you have TIME you can turn it into money to fund your business.

If you need help turning time into money, you may want to try investing in leased offshore staffing to make your capital stretch further.

3) It is ALWAYS your fault -- The most crippling mentality to have when it comes to business is to always blame another person for your failings. Lose this. Even if it seems black and white that it is not your fault--OWN the situation and understand how you ALLOWED things to happen. It is only if we 1) OWN our failings and 2) LEARN from them that we succeed.

4) Inspired by Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad -- Grow your ASSET column. I began to look at my newer website developments/projects as real estate properties and strategic investments. Not all sites I develop should be kept. Others should be grown up to a certain stage then sold off to people looking for stable middling revenues. Others have the potential to be BIG acquisition targets. Regardless, some principles regarding real estate investment help in deciding a) what ideas to develop b) how to mold projects for maximum resale value c) how to mold projects for easier traffic/brand formation d) exit strategies f) MOST IMPORTANTLY, developing only ASSET projects--those that add value to your bottomline instead of "white elephant" projects that have the allure of "gee whiz" technology but are just liabilities that bleed your company.

Anyway, those are some of the principles that I implement across all my online properties. They work for me and I'm sure they'll work for those who take the time to implement them.

One of my biggest mistakes up to know is not concentrating on a single idea and just finishing it. I have like 10 ideas on a piece of paper and none finished, just 10 half projects everywhere.
I really need some discipline....

Definately agree on the internet surfing one. Something about doing work on web sites makes it seem more like "research" than time wasting though.

nice list doug - also have to agree on the surfing point, though some of my best ideas have come when awol surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.