Monetizing a funny pictures site

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOwnDemon

Face Rocker
Jan 28, 2007
Iowa
www.sitestomp.com
Anyone have any suggestions on how to monetize a funny pictures site?

Site just launched about 2 weeks ago.

Traffic: around 50-100 uniques daily.

Stats: Each visitor stays on the site an average of 7 minutes and looks at about 10-20 pictures.

So, users are definitely clicking on stuff, just not the ads. Haha.

Right now it is monetized with a banner ad across the top of the screen, and adsense blocks above and next to each picture. This ad placement seems to work with some of my other sites, but, apparently not so much on a funny pic site.

Suggestions on better ways to monetize a picture site? :D There's got to be something obvious I'm overlooking here... I thought a funny picture site would be easy money.

have funny pictures then put a serious face saying 'if you dont click on my ads ill fucking kill you'

or maybe skim on some of the pictures? possibility? i know its big in adult...

The thing is, you don't have many visitors, and most of your visitors will be at your site to not click on ads, but to look at the funny pictures. I use CPM ads on mine, but then I get more traffic than you and my site had been online for over 5 years so it has established itself in a way.

What about icons, screensavers, wallpapers, ringtones type of offers from so of the CPA affiliate networks.

Or.... think out of the box:

Look for a company that will print any image on t-shirts or mugs, etc. and offer this on your site like "Want this picture on a t-shirt? Click here to order".

Tons of possibilities there. Some people go crazy for bizarre t-shirts. Of course, you gotta make sure the images are a certain quality and aren't copyrighted.

One of the best ways is to set up a Tell-a-friend system that allows your users to tell other people about your content and then show coregs on the tell-a-friend form and interstitial pages after the send. Companies like SuperTAF and TAFmaster will pay you if you use their form and they'll handle the advertising on them. The best part is that you get a tonne of referral traffic too and it can help you build a decent mailing list as well.

You could also you use a free Tell-A-Friend script and then use a program like thankyoupages.com to monetize the interstitial space after the TAF send.

Lemme know if this makes no sense to you.

Reactions: Reefer420
That's quite a good idea NeverblueJordan. This forums is a wealth of useful information. The only problem though is that I hardly get people using my tell a friend script, but even though it still can earn a little more and it all ads up.

The only problem though is that I hardly get people using my tell a friend script, but even though it still can earn a little more and it all ads up.

Obviously make sure the Tell-a-friend link is clearly visible. However, as Beta said, your biggest issue is that you need more traffic. More traffic = More TAFs.

I've been in the En (funny pics, videos, etc) niche for 5 years, and really no matter what you do, you are not going to bank very heavily off 50-100 uniques a day.

The niche is very general and doesn't really cater to any specific demographic group which really limits your options.

On the flip side, getting traffic to a funny pictures/videos site is a hell of a lot easier than getting traffic to say an education lead or ringtone site, but you will never see similar eCPM's off this traffic.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Good stuff.

The site already has a tell-a-friend feature. :) It lets you send the pic to up to eight email addresses. Also, we have a subscribe feature which is already collecting email addresses and subscribers are informed of major updates.

ImagesandWords, yeah that was suggested to me a few days ago by another wickedfire member via AIM and I really love that idea. Although I would have to be careful about copyrights... I do plan on implementing it.

And I realize 50-100 uniques a day is nothing, but like I said, the site is only 2 weeks old. It's just one of many projects I have working right now, so I haven't fully promoted it yet. Just fishing for some general ideas to monetize it better.

Keep the suggestions coming... :)

Just trying to learn. Im new to the biz and want to know as much as I can. I can figure out how to get text content easy but how to get image and video content, dont know how that ones pulled off...

Status
Not open for further replies.