Makes me want to punch M$ Vista in the jaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachoninja

Love the dog
Oct 3, 2006
Fleshlightville
Just slapped in 4GB's of memory because thats the maximum the system can handle, but oh wait - Vista 32bit can only handle 3GB...

WTF

My dog is not happy

I went to buy XP Pro a while ago, they were out of stock and offered me Vista. I laughed and told them I don't want their Vista. I left the store. The end.

Most of that extra 1GB wouldn't be recognized by XP either. If you want to run over 3GB RAM you should go with 64bit for any OS.

Funny thing is that I'm just right now formating a laptop to downgrade from Vista Ultimate to XP Pro. You just can't use Vista and stay sane at the same time. I must admit that Vista is way better HTPC platform than XP because of new EVR. But that's pretty much it where Vista is better.. sad really. Times like these I'm really thankful of being able to use OSX.

Funny, Vista has run like a dream for me and I like it better than XP. I guess I'm just supremely lucky with compatibility issues and such since the way everyone else talks about their experience with Vista it sounds like Bill Gates pops out of their monitor and punches them in the throat.

Until Bill socks me in the jugular I'm going to maintain that people just love to hate on Vista :love-smiley-086:.

Vista is a resource hog and a general piece of shit. Local video and audio stopped working for me and I've yet to find a solution.

I'm not upgrading till there is a legit reason to. XP works like a charm. Still plenty of support for it.

Yeah I bought 4 gigs of RAM expecting Vista (64 bit OS) to be great...Vista sucks, and I had to go back to XP (any 32bit can only recognize about 3.1 gigs of ram... its like a hardware limitation). So now I have a lot of wasted memory.

"Microsoft admits that the launch has not gone as well as the company would have liked. "Frankly, the world wasn't 100 percent ready for Windows Vista," corporate vice president Mike Sievert said in a recent interview at Microsoft's partner conference in Denver." -- from that article

Basically, requiring double the processor speed, twice the memory, and higher-end video cards was "...the world wasn't 100 percent ready for Windows Vista...".

Oh, and let's not forget the bloatware 'GUI improvements' that make it act more like a damn Mac. If I wanted a Mac, I'd smash my head with with bricks a dozen times and then maybe be in the mind to make that mistake... (MY PERSONAL OPTINION!)

I've just got a new PC with Vista (Home Premium), it struggled with a gig, so added another 3 gig (literally just this morning) and it flys!

I've got 3.5gig in there (had 2x512 before), it's showing 3325Mb (/1024=3.24Gb)... 99% certain it's the 32bit version (unless it just doesn't say anywhere that it's 64 bit).

Overall, I'm actually surprised - I quite like vista, some of it is very annoying (yes I am fuckin sure I want to do that... stop fuckin asking me!), but only had one program not work (an ancient screen recorder) and no driver probs. It does hog resources but with ok hardware it's overall no worse than XP... and it seems to be better at managing memory.

I wouldn't have bothered with it on my old pc (P4 2.4Ghz, 1Gb), but quite happy with it on this one (Core2Duo 2x1.8Ghz), can't see any reason to load xp on here.... yet.

Like it or not, most of us are going to have to use it sometime and it's certainly a lot better than when XP first came out and nothing fucking worked!

meh I'm not having too much trouble with vista. It'll get better with time. I could see why they ask you if you want to install something though. If you're a computer noob I think it saves a lot of people from installing weird ass spyware programs.

I read that XP service pack 3 can increase XP performance by 10%. Not to mention fix lots of glitches. I'm staying with XP for the forseeable future.

I've just got a new PC with Vista (Home Premium), it struggled with a gig, so added another 3 gig (literally just this morning) and it flys!

I've got 3.5gig in there (had 2x512 before), it's showing 3325Mb (/1024=3.24Gb)... 99% certain it's the 32bit version (unless it just doesn't say anywhere that it's 64 bit).

Overall, I'm actually surprised - I quite like vista, some of it is very annoying (yes I am fuckin sure I want to do that... stop fuckin asking me!), but only had one program not work (an ancient screen recorder) and no driver probs. It does hog resources but with ok hardware it's overall no worse than XP... and it seems to be better at managing memory.

I wouldn't have bothered with it on my old pc (P4 2.4Ghz, 1Gb), but quite happy with it on this one (Core2Duo 2x1.8Ghz), can't see any reason to load xp on here.... yet.

Like it or not, most of us are going to have to use it sometime and it's certainly a lot better than when XP first came out and nothing fucking worked!

I just got a new laptop a week and a half ago, and I totally love it.
XP Home Premium, just 2 gigs of ram, a 1.8 Core 2 Duo, and a decent vid card... It flies for me, seems MUCH quicker than XP and I have Glass enabled, so it looks way better.

With all of this, I can still multi-task like a crackhead and it doesnt bog down... At any given times Ill have 20 tabs open in FF, with all my extensions, aim, thunderbird, uTorrent, Xchat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, a media player, and Word. Nothing slows down with all of that, and it's great.

I did hate the "Is it ok" messages, but figured out how to disable them for good, and since then it has been sweet!

Peep This:
Windows Vista Tip: Disable annoying "Need your permission to continue-" prompts

I did it really easily, and like i said, no more warnings or promts or whatever the hell you want to call them.

Also, the other day I downloaded a torrent and when I opened the RAR Windows told me there was a trojan, and let me delete it.
WINDOWS actually knew something was bad... I didnt know M$ was capable of that. haha

Oh, and to adress the memory issue... There is a 4gb limitation on normal PC's. It has been like that forever. But, some versions of Vista support more... Theoretically anyways... I believe Vista Business Ultimate can support something like 160gb ram.
But your hardware can't. Unless you run a server.

The issue of having 4 gb. and seeing 3 is because there is hardware memory allocation... Your HD, your CPU, your Sound Card, your DVD/CD Player all need RAM, So it is allocated. Your video card also uses plenty of it. So if your video card uses 512MB, And another 250 for all the other hardware is used, you will see about 800 or so MB missing... It is just PRE allocated. It has always been like this, but in this case it just shows you what you have AVAILABLE to use for whatever, instead of saying you have 4gigs and you find out when using some crazy ass programs that you can only use 3...

Read up on it. Itll clear it up. Just because it says 3.3 gigs when you have 4 doesnt mean you are getting less. It is using it just as it would any other version of Windows, it just tells you that its doing it this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.