Laptop suggestions under $1k - Non Mac

Big Joe

Apr 18, 2011
NY
Im looking to buy a new laptop and would like to keep it under $1,000. I gave my GF my old Dell which was a tank and Id like to trade up to something lighter and more mobile. I have always been partial to Dell but haven't been having the greatest experiences with my last couple of computers.

Please suggest me something that is worth taking a look at under $1k, thanks!

Personally, I think the quality of Dell has gone down, and their prices are above average. Only great thing with Dell is their accidental damage insurance, and the response time is excellent. Hard drive breaks? One call, and next day Fedex was at my door with a new one. Get drunk, and spill a glass of whiskey & coke in your laptop? No problem, here's a new one.

I always liked HP laptops myself, but it appears HP doesn't like building computers anymore, so not sure what I'll buy next. Have to buy a new one soon too though, as I'm getting tired of my desktop, and want to start traveling again.

btw anyone who recommends a brand needs further education: its all about what components these brands have, and the quality and speed of them. i would never just say get a dell, or an HP.

I have to agree about the Dell Quality issue and even in that I am lucky(sorta) All my Notebooks are Dell- 2 Dell Inspiron D630's with the NV GPU's from the class action a 3rd D630 the GPU crapped last month and 2 Inspiron D830 with the same NV25 bad GPU's the $ still functional ones are being babied till they shit the GPU's...

One Inspiron 6000 thats a horse has shitty GPU and can only run 32Bit Win but all I use it for is running Commview for WiFi 24/7 with an external hasn't hiccuped in 5 years only used to ehemm test our DOD WiFi for security leaks on post...
New Inspirons they're sending us feel cheap and flimsy though run so far so good they cant use the Kick Ass Old Docking Station that you could STAND on thats made of Aluminum of Which I have like 3-4 I think(not trashing them ever-someone has a Dseries Insp totally kick ass Docking Station)....

It's Like Dell keeps progressively seeing how Cheap they can get and sell computers..Best friend had to Send back the Dell Studio18 his wife got him after 2 weeks overseas the keyboard lights went out the Optical Drive shit and none of the touch buttons including the eject button were inop..

recently just did 5 I think L series Toshiba's for guys leaving to take all under 600 with the AMD processors I think and only 4G and no BD I loaded the image on all of them with OS/Office/etc and not one has been sent back to be repaired or replacement of any parts got one while friend home to clean the ummm talc like sand they get but those things were bulletproof thus far had good feel and felt solid think I

TL;DR
First half Dell is getting really shitty in Quality
Second half I been liking Toshibas but Hey they give me Dells so...

^^ Repped +1 for Asus I actually totally recommend Asus notebooks well anything Asus actually but you said $1000 friend /Coworker Got a out of Control Asus Gaming Notebook and it's really Solid and If I am not mistaken Replaceable/Upgradeable GPU's and of the few I've seen they Seemed really top Shelf....

I use strictly all Asus Displays actually look as good if not better than the Top of the Line Dell WS Ultasharps I was using- I'm using 3 VK246H 24" LCDs on my Desk at home and 2 of them in my lab and 14 total 24" ASUS VLK24's in our facility for over a year and out of the 3 here and 14 there not a single Dead Pixel and they look good too. Asus I think is tight on QC

B~

Reactions: onigen
-1 for HP, total crap.. Dell's new lineup is avg to poor in quality and value, their new thin xps 15z basically sucks with a ton of reviews of it actually falling apart.

A bunch of new ultrathin's announced last week from toshiba and lenovo among others. The new kids Samsung and Asus IMO are taking the lead on better design and value. That Asus u56 has to be one of the best values out there for a thin laptop, they had a school special for around $550 a few weeks ago..

Lenovo has a sale going on for a day or two longer. This ideapad is $799 and they have one with DVD instead of blue ray for $759. I looked at one at best buys and they appear to be solid laptops.

• 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
  • Intel Integrated HD Graphics 3000
  • 8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
  • 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
  • Integrated 2.0MP Camera
  • Industry Standard Touchpad
  • 750GB 5400
  • Blu-ray Recordable
  • 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
  • Intel 1000 BGN Wireless
  • Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
  • HDMI (Out)

I made this same exact thread few weeks ago looking for a laptop that isn't an Apple.

Go get the anyone of the Thinkpad series bro, you will not regret it.

I personally got the x220 and it couldn't have been better!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVeNdSN41Tg"]Lenovo ThinKPad X220 Video Review - YouTube[/ame]

I made this same exact thread few weeks ago looking for a laptop that isn't an Apple.

Go get the anyone of the Thinkpad series bro, you will not regret it.

I personally got the x220 and it couldn't have been better!

I actually saw your thread a couple weeks back and saw some very helpful responses but most of the suggestions were north of $1K.

I see here and even on your thread that many people are pro ASUS. Im looking at a few on newegg but would appreciate more suggestions in general or on some ASUS laptops.

Lenovo has a sale going on for a day or two longer. This ideapad is $799 and they have one with DVD instead of blue ray for $759. I looked at one at best buys and they appear to be solid laptops.

• 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
  • Intel Integrated HD Graphics 3000
  • 8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
  • 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
  • Integrated 2.0MP Camera
  • Industry Standard Touchpad
  • 750GB 5400
  • Blu-ray Recordable
  • 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
  • Intel 1000 BGN Wireless
  • Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
  • HDMI (Out)

I bought my Lenovo laptop last week and it works fine for me doing offline and online works. It is cheaper as compared to my dream Alienware but still rocks. It has a robust design too.

I actually saw your thread a couple weeks back and saw some very helpful responses but most of the suggestions were north of $1K.

I see here and even on your thread that many people are pro ASUS. Im looking at a few on newegg but would appreciate more suggestions in general or on some ASUS laptops.

That's because if you want to get a decent lappy you should be ready to spend north of $1k.

What are you looking for? Core i5 (dual core intel)? Core i7 (quad core intel)? How about screen size? 15", 17"? Bigger screens always run quite a bit more. How about blue ray? Or is just DVD combo ok? All this stuff adds up when you put it in such a small form factor.