Just found my first high-value domain

Sharksfan

May 28, 2009
WI
I found an exact match .net domain that has 110,000 searches a month.

The .com for this domain is NOT developed at all. It just has a landing page saying the domain is for sale for $25K or lease for $250/mo. Consequently I suspect the .net will be easier to rank #1 than it would be if the .com was in the game.

Now the question is - what to do with it? It is automotive related. I was thinking of putting up some EPN stuff but that seems like going for the low hanging fruit.

Suggestions? I obviously do not want to be too specific for this.

I got one of those to it is just the exact name of company not sure if they would get pissed if I created a small site and ranked right under them.

I would just build out a site with 10 pages of 500 word articles and get it up.

I have found that you dont have to have an exact match to rank #1 though, as long as you have the keywords in the domain your good, just give it links and time.

Sorry for the 'interruption' but what exactly classifies a high value domain? And are these numbers you're getting from the Google Keyword Tool or Wordtracker or something else? Because I may have quite a few of these that I've noted, but yet to purchase.

Sorry for the 'interruption' but what exactly classifies a high value domain? And are these numbers you're getting from the Google Keyword Tool or Wordtracker or something else? Because I may have quite a few of these that I've noted, but yet to purchase.

High value is of course relative. In this case I say it's "high value" because...

1.) There are 110,000 exact match searches per month. This is using Google's figures (and a couple other things) so knock 20% off at worst. I never touch Wordtracker. Ever.
2.) There is no other competing TLD at the moment (ie, the .com and .org are out of the picture)
3.) The products that would sell under this sort of domain would be in the $xxx to $xx,xxx range so commissions should be decent depending on which way I go with it.

I got one of those to it is just the exact name of company not sure if they would get pissed if I created a small site and ranked right under them.

I have a few of those. A couple are expiring in the next few days and I won't miss them. Ranking them was easy but it's not worth taking on a C&D against a multi-national corp whose legal department's budget is in the 8 figures.

I found an exact match .net domain that has 110,000 searches a month.

The .com for this domain is NOT developed at all. It just has a landing page saying the domain is for sale for $25K or lease for $250/mo. Consequently I suspect the .net will be easier to rank #1 than it would be if the .com was in the game.

Now the question is - what to do with it? It is automotive related. I was thinking of putting up some EPN stuff but that seems like going for the low hanging fruit.

Suggestions? I obviously do not want to be too specific for this.

Is it IllegalDonkeyShows.net?

Buy the .net, it will rank fine. EPN motors kind of went to shit for some people after qcp - you can make $3 off the sell of a $5,000, yay! Parts still do okay. With the volume you're talking about thought you could do ok.

Get it to #1, as as you do start squeezing peoples emails so when you actually do something with it you have a fanbase. If they are rabid give them a twitter and facebook page to warm up to also.

Need more specifics to say anything else.

i have an exact match .org of a 3 word longtail and I have a LOT of trouble ranking for the main keyword. There are 150k+ searches per month. I got like 40 + 250 word rewrites in there. no links yet, but still.

Getting 4-5 hits per day of 4+ word longtails.

Strange unless there was a glitch in the stats.

Yeah I don't get it. You're going to lease it, or buy it or what?

Now that the Sharks got beat I will have more free time - spent the weekend in Chicago so I didn't answer this yet.

The .com is not mine. It is up for sale or lease. The important thing is that it is not ranking and is undeveloped, so getting the .net to #1 will not be as hard as it could be.

I got the .net. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with. Ebay motors is still an option because this is for a car that is no longer in production so the after market parts are highly sought after (and so are originals).

Also: Thanks for the PM's from a few people. I appreciate the feedback. Gotta love WF!

I don't get domain leasing, it's so stupid easy to scrape content these days you could spend months developing the site, building traffic, and moving up the serps and then boom, they cut the lease and your content is still there the next day banking for the owner.

Buy it or walk.

Domain leasing would make more sense for a business leasing adspace on the domain than a "domainer" leasing a domain. But that's only after the domain has been developed. So yeah I don't get why people would lease undeveloped domains either.