JCPenney Goes Black Hat

So now I can do a backlink research and either A, call out my competition publicly for cheating based upon the subjective ranking measurements Google dictates so they get banned, or B just hire cheap 3rd parties to start creating mass anchor text backlinks for my competition so I can call them out in the future for cheating. The way it's going you have to wonder why links should count in the future at all..

no-one will be banned. Google wont do anything to jcpenny, they'll continue to target spammy sources of links as they always have. Worst that will happen is the links wont count.

So now I can do a backlink research and either A, call out my competition publicly for cheating based upon the subjective ranking measurements Google dictates so they get banned, or B just hire cheap 3rd parties to start creating mass anchor text backlinks for my competition so I can call them out in the future for cheating. The way it's going you have to wonder why links should count in the future at all..

lawl

“Actually, it’s the most ambitious attempt I’ve ever heard of,” he said. “This whole thing just blew me away. Especially for such a major brand. You’d think they would have people around them that would know better.”

lol

This pretty much puts the rest the question of wether buying links can help your site rankings. Frankly I really don't see why they want to trash JCPenny over this, if one company didn't determine their online sales and traffic they wouldn't have even bothered with it.

This pretty much puts the rest the question of wether buying links can help your site rankings. Frankly I really don't see why they want to trash JCPenny over this, if one company didn't determine their online sales and traffic they wouldn't have even bothered with it.

if journalists have nothing to write about, they lose their jobs- this is a good example of 'conjuring' a meaty article out of thin air.

so they bought 2,015 anchor texted links? big fuckin woop NY Times
They made it sound like it was this big corporate conspiracy when really one of their marketing team one day probably decided to buy a few links on related sites and heard that having the anchor texts match was good for the sites seo and did it. Probably took just that a day, and the massive authority of jcpenny.com took over from there.
mountain out of mole hills

I like how they imply that Google has now become some sort of regulatory body capable of making "Laws" about what we can do on the internet.

gotta disagree with some of you here. I think a nationally recognized brand getting manually penalized by Google is newsworthy. But I also get the "ZOMG! they bought links!" sentiment.

Also lol at the black hat dude making The NY Times take him out to the most expensive French restaurant he could find.