Is Wikipedia worth it for adding backlinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very possibly one the most valuable sources for links right now.

sorry in advanced, i'm kind of tired of answering this question.
The english version of wikipedia doesn't have the nofollow tags. Some of the other languages do. Yes it is very worth it to play with wikipedia.
Here's what I wrote so far on the subject(fourth part due out in about 5 posts):
Blue Hat SEO-Advanced SEO Tactics » Wikipedia Links Part 1
Blue Hat SEO-Advanced SEO Tactics » Wikipedia Links pt 2 - The Semi-Automated White Hat Way
Blue Hat SEO-Advanced SEO Tactics » Wikipedia Links Pt. 3 - Chumbawumba Method

Here's a user contributed one:
Blue Hat SEO-Advanced SEO Tactics » User Contributed-How To Get A Link In Wikipedia (my post on syndk8.net)

They are worth it for sure...especially if you can get them to stick.

Yeah, it's very worth it... I got one of my links to stick and I was front page for the term, a few under wikipedia. Unfortunately they merged the topic recently and I lost it, it was very good traffic while it lasted!

And rather than spam a big topic page with links, use a bit of savvy - set up a topic related to it and source all the content from your site and add your link to the sources section. You can get all sorts of goodies. I've got one or two gambling related backlinks like that - and they've stuck. :)

I make pages of my site specifically for wiki. I don't put ads on these pages and make sure the content is decent. These links stick and I get thousands of hits from wiki every month. These people go on to browse the rest of my site, click on adsense, join forums etc. So yeah, it's very worth it even if they do add nofollow.

As soon as you add a link to wikipedia about 50+ editors will see it and i can guarantee one of them will remove it unless you have really fabulous original content and no advertising. Better off dropping links on guestbooks with higher PR.

Thanks for the info. everybody!

Deliguy and Dio...U Rok!! Thanks for the tips. :bowdown:

Why isn't Wikipedia discussed more often in this way?

It seems hard to find a lot of info on Wiki linking.

Thanks for the info. everybody!

Deliguy and Dio...U Rok!! Thanks for the tips. :bowdown:

Why isn't Wikipedia discussed more often in this way?

It seems hard to find a lot of info on Wiki linking.

Thats becasue wikipedia is very picky about links. It is very hard to get your links to stick and most the time it isnt worth the effort.

The best way to get linked by Wikipedia is to create whole pages on topics that people are truly interested in. Link to your site but not directly--link to a page on your domain that has more RELATED and helpful information. Also, increase your wikipedia link benefits by linking the wikipedia page you wrote to as many RELEVANT wikipedia categories.

As soon as you add a link to wikipedia about 50+ editors will see it and i can guarantee one of them will remove it unless you have really fabulous original content and no advertising. Better off dropping links on guestbooks with higher PR.

Good point re advertising. The "target" site should have little advertising. Once you drive traffic and SE traffic to your target, then links to other (and more commercial CONTENT pages) should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.